Author Topic: hotels  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
hotels
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
Hotels are fun.  What's a good hotel you've stayed at recently?

The Drury in Flagstaff is pretty elite.  "The Extras Aren't Extra"  :party:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: hotels
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
Hotels are fun.  What's a good hotel you've stayed at recently?

The Drury in Flagstaff is pretty elite.  "The Extras Aren't Extra"  :party:

Have stayed at the Ramada in Flagstaff (wouldn't recommend) might be tucky of me but I love Flagstaff.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
i hate hotels.  bed bugs and non-washed comforters.  seriously, gross, but a necessity. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »
Staying at a Drury in downtown St. Louis next week. Free booze sounds nice.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
best business budget brand - Hilton Garden Inn (free business center, free breakfast for hilton golds, easy in and out)

best business regular brand - Embassy Suites (usually will cost a bit more than the local Hilton Garden Inn but the managers reception and free breakfast for all customers are nice.  Also enjoy all the extra room and the fact that they are usually right next to the convention center of wherever you are)

best vacation brand - Westin (always seem to have good locations and usually have trendy bars/restaurants. usually a convenience store type place in house and most have pretty great pool bars)

best higher end vacation brand - Hyatt (pretty much all the same things I said about Westin but a little nicer and a little more expensive.  I usually go with a Westin if both are available unless I can get into a Hyatt at roughly the same price)

best award miles/points program - SPG (rick daris and I have gone over this a lot in the credit card thread but they have by far the easiest to use program with tons of options for using points)

best status program - HH (hilton will give you free breakfasts, upgrades to club floor and additional mileage just for reaching gold status.  You can get extra mileage with other programs but you usually won't sniff club lounge access until you reach their highest tier.  I can't even get a room upgrade as a Hyatt Platinum which is above their gold tier. All they offer is the best available room in my category booked.)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Comfort Suites is amazing.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
The Western Holiday On dugan Rd in Wichita is great.  Also the Motel 6  :thumbsup:

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
best business budget brand - Hilton Garden Inn (free business center, free breakfast for hilton golds, easy in and out)

best business regular brand - Embassy Suites (usually will cost a bit more than the local Hilton Garden Inn but the managers reception and free breakfast for all customers are nice.  Also enjoy all the extra room and the fact that they are usually right next to the convention center of wherever you are)

best vacation brand - Westin (always seem to have good locations and usually have trendy bars/restaurants. usually a convenience store type place in house and most have pretty great pool bars)

best higher end vacation brand - Hyatt (pretty much all the same things I said about Westin but a little nicer and a little more expensive.  I usually go with a Westin if both are available unless I can get into a Hyatt at roughly the same price)

best award miles/points program - SPG (rick daris and I have gone over this a lot in the credit card thread but they have by far the easiest to use program with tons of options for using points)

best status program - HH (hilton will give you free breakfasts, upgrades to club floor and additional mileage just for reaching gold status.  You can get extra mileage with other programs but you usually won't sniff club lounge access until you reach their highest tier.  I can't even get a room upgrade as a Hyatt Platinum which is above their gold tier. All they offer is the best available room in my category booked.)

^Definitely agree with this. They treat you like a GOD when you hit the Diamond level.

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Courtyard by Marriott, downtown Denver. Lots of stuff within walking distance which is good because I hate driving drunk in unfamiliar cities

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »
Courtyard by Marriott, downtown Denver. Lots of stuff within walking distance which is good because I hate driving drunk in unfamiliar cities

Just take KSU Brian with you, I don't think he cares how familiar the cities are

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
Can't recall staying at a hotel I didn't enjoy.  (European hostels I stayed at as a poor college student are a different story.)  Like steve dave, one of my dream jobs would be travel writer.*

*I've realized SD is my total doppelganger on this page.  It's unsettling to me.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
Can't recall staying at a hotel I didn't enjoy.  (European hostels I stayed at as a poor college student are a different story.)  Like steve dave, one of my dream jobs would be travel writer.*

*I've realized SD is my total doppelganger on this page.  It's unsettling to me.

you and i both know the husband of a person who used to work for arthur frommers budget travel magazine. damn. missed oppy. she/they still live in new york but when i saw her two months ago she was freelancing now or something. i'll put you in touch if you're actually serious which you might not be.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »

you and i both know the husband of a person who used to work for arthur frommers budget travel magazine. damn. missed oppy. she/they still live in new york but when i saw her two months ago she was freelancing now or something. i'll put you in touch if you're actually serious which you might not be.

That's great!  But one of my other dream jobs is actually the job I have now, so I guess I'll stay put.  ALTHO, I do appreciate the offer to hook up a broMHSer.   :cheers:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
congrats bro

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »

That's great!  But one of my other dream jobs is actually the job I have now, so I guess I'll stay put.  ALTHO, I do appreciate the offer to hook up a broMHSer.   :cheers:

What are your thoughts on staying at a hostel in san diego that was ranked as the #1 hostel in the entire united states of america? would you stay there or pay 1-2 hundred more per night to stay at one of the numerous hotels that surround it? i have a feeling i know but still... :dunno:

http://www.usahostels.com/sandiego/index.html?lang=10

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
stay @ the hostel daris. I wouldn't even consider that one a hostel its just to nice.

also have you seen the expansion being done @ mhs  :horrorsurprise:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:26 PM »
stay @ the hostel daris. I wouldn't even consider that one a hostel its just to nice.

also have you seen the expansion being done @ mhs  :horrorsurprise:

yeah that as kinda my thought. it is insanely nice hostel wise (assumption) and in the heart of the place i am already staying at/want to stay at. plus, i can be like oh yeah man, crap bro, i stayed at a hostel in san diego once and....

not sure about the mhs expansion, i mean i drive past it whenever i go to the zoo and stuff but not totally sure what all is going on. where is everyone going to park?

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 05:41:47 AM »
Stayed in a hotel in MD that had the elite sleep number beds... unbelievable!!!
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
Western Hills in Hill City.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »

What are your thoughts on staying at a hostel in san diego that was ranked as the #1 hostel in the entire united states of america? would you stay there or pay 1-2 hundred more per night to stay at one of the numerous hotels that surround it? i have a feeling i know but still... :dunno:

http://www.usahostels.com/sandiego/index.html?lang=10

Go forth and conquer that hostel.  I only stayed at a hostel once in the U.S. -- it was years ago in Boston, and it was basically empty because it was January/February and wicked cold.  It seemed like the hostel would be "good enough" even it was full, though.  Ya know?  I'm also like you in that I can appreciate a little pain if it leads to a good story.  (Like last month, when I got locked out of my apartment and almost missed a morning flight because I didn't realize until I got home @ 3 a.m. that I had lost my keys riding a mechanical bull.)

Do it!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
I had lost my keys riding a mechanical bull

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
congrats bro

The really disturbing part is that you say what I'm thinking, except in a much more clever way.   :embarrassed:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
congrats bro

The really disturbing part is that you say what I'm thinking, except in a much more clever way.   :embarrassed:

sd wouldn't stay in that hostel though. maybe i am your doppleganger but just not as clever.  :dunno:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

^Definitely agree with this. They treat you like a GOD when you hit the Diamond level.

Marriott is the same with Platinum level.  I could kill the maid and they would give me extra points for my "inconvenience"

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »
Diamond status Choice Priviliges...
 :goodbyecruelworld: