Author Topic: Blow huge holes in movies with LSOC  (Read 50468 times)

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Blow huge holes in movies with LSOC
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
Star Wars Episode One

when qui gon jinn and obi wan were fighting darth maul at the end.  obi wan got separated from the other two, but couldn't he have used force speed like they did at the beginning of the movie to catch up?  he ends up getting screened off by that red force field and watch liam die.

silly padawan

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Field of Dreams was on HBO the other night and I hate to be the guy to blow a hole in a great movie like this, but here goes.

Let's say for a baseball field with a little bit of foul ground you would need a square about 400 x 400 feet.  That's 160000 square feet.  There are 43560 sq ft/acre so thats approx 3.7 acres cut out of his corn field.

Here's where I need some of you farm humps to help me out since I don't know jack about farming. Interwebz research says there's approx 150 bushels of corn yielded per acre....saw a range of estimates but 150 was the number that came up the most.  Current corn price in Iowa is $4.74 per bushel taking the average of the 6 regions listed on iowaagriculture.gov website.  This looks to be higher than what Kansas is paying for corn   :shakesfist:

3.7 acres x 150 bushels/per acre = 555 bushels. 555 bushels x $4.74 = $2630.70

So, the annual loss of $2630.70 of corn revenue was going to cause him to lose his entire farm?  Was the cost of constructing the field that high?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Well, this is definitely the most research that has gone into blowing a hole into a movie.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »
i think the cost to install with the lights and the seating and whatnot probably cost a pretty penny. but let's just keep that between you and i and the fencepost because i haven't really cost projected that thing out.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
Field of Dreams was on HBO the other night and I hate to be the guy to blow a hole in a great movie like this, but here goes.

Let's say for a baseball field with a little bit of foul ground you would need a square about 400 x 400 feet.  That's 160000 square feet.  There are 43560 sq ft/acre so thats approx 3.7 acres cut out of his corn field.

Here's where I need some of you farm humps to help me out since I don't know jack about farming. Interwebz research says there's approx 150 bushels of corn yielded per acre....saw a range of estimates but 150 was the number that came up the most.  Current corn price in Iowa is $4.74 per bushel taking the average of the 6 regions listed on iowaagriculture.gov website.  This looks to be higher than what Kansas is paying for corn   :shakesfist:

So, the annual loss of $2630.70 of corn revenue was going to cause him to lose his entire farm?  Was the cost of constructing the field that high?

Added to that is the fact that Corn prices are high right now, and might have actually been poop at the time this movie was supposed to have taken place.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
Any movie where all of the sprinkler heads go off at once.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
the biggest plot hole in that movie isnt the loss of corn making him go under, its the imaginary angels out in right field. like, no such thing.

boom, a hole so big jerome bettis can take it to the house.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

RAY
          A left-handed pitcher.

(TO ANNIE)
          How bad is it?

ANNIE
          Well, given how much less acreage we
          have for corn, I'd say we'll probably
          .almost break even.

RAY
          Jesus.

ANNIE
          We've spent all our savings on that
          field.

KARIN (O.S.)
          Daddy..

RAY
          Just a minute, Karin.

(TO ANNIE)
          So what are you saying? We can't keep
          the field?

ANNIE

(SADLY)
          It makes it real hard to keep the farm,
          Ray.
          Ray closes his eyes.

ANNIE
          Ray, we're behind on the mortgage. That
          field ate up our savings. We could lose
          the farm.

ANNIE
          Ray.

(PAUSE)
          I asked the bank if we could miss a
          payment or two, and they told me they'd
          just sold the note on the farm to Mark
          and his partners. So they own the
          paper now, and he says if we don't sell
          to them, they'll foreclose. Ray, we
          don't have the money.

So it seems the major issue is that they blew their entire savings on the field, leaving them with nothing to dip into to make the mortgage payments. While the loss of revenue from the field acreage hurts, due to their tight financial situation, it's unlikely they would have seen that money in time to make the mortgage payments they apparently missed. The loss of revenue from the field acreage, BTW, would have been almost entirely profit (or cut their loss), as the corn was already planted there (thus, they'd already paid for the seed and whatever sprays/irrigation on that portion of the crop) and Ray turned it under to create the field. Whatever irrigation or sprays they would have applied until harvest, and harvest itself, likely would have been very little additional cost.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

Added to that is the fact that Corn prices are high right now, and might have actually been poop at the time this movie was supposed to have taken place.

Well, according to http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/pdf/a2-11.pdf corn was going for $2.14 a bushel in September 1989.  I have no idea what that means when adjusted for inflation.

I was creating a plot hole based solely on lost corn revenue but on second thought the field itself probably cost a shitload to build, especially the lights.  Those bleachers were totally pud and maybe $2 or $300 in lumber at the most.

Oh and TTHOTUC outed himself as one of the dorks who can't see the baseball players   :lol:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »

Well, according to http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/pdf/a2-11.pdf corn was going for $2.14 a bushel in September 1989.  I have no idea what that means when adjusted for inflation.

I was creating a plot hole based solely on lost corn revenue but on second thought the field itself probably cost a shitload to build, especially the lights.  Those bleachers were totally pud and maybe $2 or $300 in lumber at the most.

Oh and TTHOTUC outed himself as one of the dorks who can't see the baseball players   :lol:

According to one internet calculator, 2.14 in 1989 = 3.90 in 2012.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Are you taking into account that it was Iowa, and he was a poor, and it was in the middle of like a hundred year drought (which is a great farming year in Iowa, since normal years are nothing but floods)?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »
Red Dawn:  huge rough ridin' pfffft at some conglomeration of Communists being able to drop paratroopers into BFE Colorado without any sort of advanced warning.  We would have seen them coming from a long ways away.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Red Dawn:  huge rough ridin' pfffft at some conglomeration of Communists being able to drop paratroopers into BFE Colorado without any sort of advanced warning.  We would have seen them coming from a long ways away.

did you see sys' post about how we almost dropped a 4 MT nuclear bomb on north carolina?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »

Many of the Commie troops came in through planes disguised as commercial airliners IIRC.  Our satellites should have seen all the increased troop movement though so yeah, huge hole confirmed.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »

Many of the Commie troops came in through planes disguised as commercial airliners IIRC.  Our satellites should have seen all the increased troop movement though so yeah, huge hole confirmed.

we are talking original red dawn right?
in that case they opened with nuking all the major cities and it took place before anyone could tweet about it

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »

Yeah, I remember thinking exactly that when I considered blowing a grand canyon in that flick.  But, the costs to build the field could have been pretty high.  Plus, maybe he had been totally flooded out the previous 10 years and needed that 2630.70 for flood insurance.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:33 PM »

did you see sys' post about how we almost dropped a 4 MT nuclear bomb on north carolina?

No, link?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Vanilla Sky...GO!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

Yeah, I remember thinking exactly that when I considered blowing a grand canyon in that flick.  But, the costs to build the field could have been pretty high.  Plus, maybe he had been totally flooded out the previous 10 years and needed that 2630.70 for flood insurance.

Also, in that movie there were only 2 gingers.  Most of Iowa is gingers.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Vanilla Sky...GO!

absolutely no way that the last rocket jake gyllenhaal builds gets even off the ground. too heavy.

next!  :impatient:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

we are talking original red dawn right?
in that case they opened with nuking all the major cities and it took place before anyone could tweet about it

Son, there is only one Red Dawn worth acknowledging: The original one and not the one with either Drake or Josh (from Drake and Josh, not sure which).  I thought there were only a few nukes and a bunch of troops swept up through Mexico??

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
World War Z:  c'mon, Israel gets the jump on it?  Small country, incredibly strained resources, I just don't see it.  Also the plane crashes within a short walk of his intended destination?  GTFOOMF with this crap.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
In the movie Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Abraham Lincoln gives a speech at the high school and ends it with "Party on, dudes!" Well, the term "dude" originated in 1876 and Abe died in 1865 . . .

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
World War Z:  c'mon, Israel gets the jump on it?  Small country, incredibly strained resources, I just don't see it.  Also the plane crashes within a short walk of his intended destination?  GTFOOMF with this crap.
They are zombies. They don't give a crap if you are terminal or not. They are already terminated. "Quick, give me cancer so this dead thing that is effing batshit crazy won't eat me." pffft

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
In the movie Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Abraham Lincoln gives a speech at the high school and ends it with "Party on, dudes!" Well, the term "dude" originated in 1876 and Abe died in 1832 . . .

effing weak.  He just got back from a most righteous adventure with his bros Bill and Ted.  That's where he picked up the term.    Sheesh