Author Topic: the argument for mike leach right now  (Read 79210 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: the argument for mike leach right now
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
Oh yeah, one more thing. My message to the entire blog re. Gary Patterson

I don't think he's done poorly by any stretch of the imagination. Last year was great for him, all things considered.

If we hired anyone else with his BCS credentials we would rightfully #BID, not to mention the constant tumult his program seems to have.

Also re: your previous post, do you know anything about the ball state coach? Seems not

I don't think we'd be in the market for someone with his "BCS credentials", to be honest. A rational program wouldn't let him go to us. Based on what he's done over his career I would have no problem hiring Gary if he had left TCU and replicated his record over the last two years at a place like Mississippi State or Maryland.

Regarding the Ball State guy, I know the highest level he's coached at (as a HC or assistant) is Ball State.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 14, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

I don't think he's done poorly by any stretch of the imagination. Last year was great for him, all things considered.

If we hired anyone else with his BCS credentials we would rightfully #BID, not to mention the constant tumult his program seems to have.

Also re: your previous post, do you know anything about the ball state coach? Seems not

I don't think we'd be in the market for someone with his "BCS credentials", to be honest. A rational program wouldn't let him go to us. Based on what he's done over his career I would have no problem hiring Gary if he had left TCU and replicated his record over the last two years at a place like Mississippi State or Maryland.

Regarding the Ball State guy, I know the highest level he's coached at (as a HC or assistant) is Ball State.

So you'd take a guy with a mediocre resume at the highest level over a guy who hasn't coached at the highest level but has won everywhere he's been? Pretty inconsistent stance given your view on basketball coaches, no?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
I would like a cliffs notes version of ball state guy without having to google it.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 14, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »

So you'd take a guy with a mediocre resume at the highest level over a guy who hasn't coached at the highest level but has won everywhere he's been? Pretty inconsistent stance given your view on basketball coaches, no?

I'm sorry, has Patterson been fired? Is he even remotely on the hot seat?

Patterson hasn't been at the "highest level" long enough to be proven to be mediocre, not by a long shot.

And I'd easily take his resume at a non-BCS school over the Ball State guy, in addition to where he has built recruiting relationships over the years.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 14, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
BCS win alone makes Gary's resume not mediocre.  I'm less sold on him now than I was 5 years ago, but I don't think a mediocre year and a poor year mean he is a terrible coach.  It is troubling to see though as its his first opportunity in a BCS conference.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
I would like a cliffs notes version of ball state guy without having to google it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Lembo

EDIT: OMG, Daryl Dixon is his Outside Linebackers/Nickel Backs coach!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
ball state guy seems to me like a tim beckman-y.

i belong to the ilk that thinks unless we hire a proven stud (let's set the bar at a James Franklin type, for example), i'd prefer some one who has coached under Snyder.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
 Nick Saban :don'tcare:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
BCS win alone makes Gary's resume not mediocre.  I'm less sold on him now than I was 5 years ago, but I don't think a mediocre year and a poor year mean he is a terrible coach.  It is troubling to see though as its his first opportunity in a BCS conference.
Mangino says hi! :D

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »

i belong to the ilk that thinks unless we hire a proven stud (let's set the bar at a James Franklin type, for example), i'd prefer some one who has coached under Snyder.

Snyders tree has already blossomed though. Who would you want from his tree that hasn't already failed or has a better gig now?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »

:D

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

I don't think Mangino's tenure was mediocre either

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »
I don't think Leach is realistic.

I don't think Patterson is realistic.

what do we think about Wolford/Mangino combo sandwich?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »
I don't think Leach is realistic.

I don't think Patterson is realistic.

what do we think about Wolford/Mangino combo sandwich?

There is already a thread on that topic.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
must have missed it on account of my job.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »

Snyders tree has already blossomed though. Who would you want from his tree that hasn't already failed or has a better gig now?

sean

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

What? What? What? Beckman coached 21 games before Illinois hired him and was only 5 games over .500 Lembo has coached over 150 games. The only thing they have in common is that they are white men who coached football in the MAC.

I wish you guys would just be honest and say "I don't like him because I never heard of him before 24 hours ago." The guy has already coached and won a ton of games. He's won for extended time at three places, none of them traditional powers on their respective levels.

I don't think Mangino's tenure was mediocre either

Awful career record, current 7 game losing streak, I mean woof. There have been so many coaches fired with similar profiles. Not to mention the weight and being a massive bad person that no one likes or respects.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »

Patterson hasn't been at the "highest level" long enough to be proven to be mediocre, not by a long shot.

And I'd easily take his resume at a non-BCS school over the Ball State guy, in addition to where he has built recruiting relationships over the years.

He hasn't been fired, as a defense, is that a joke? So you would have been good with Weber replacing Frank after 2010-11? You have eyes, you can see how Patterson's program is trending. They aren't even going to a bowl this year. I'm willing to bet you he won't make it 9 years as a BCS level coach like oscar did.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »

He hasn't been fired, as a defense, is that a joke? So you would have been good with Weber replacing Frank after 2010-11? You have eyes, you can see how Patterson's program is trending. They aren't even going to a bowl this year. I'm willing to bet you he won't make it 9 years as a BCS level coach like oscar did.

Weber after eight (or 9) years is not even close to the same thing as Patterson after two. Hell, Weber is a great example of why you don't often see the full picture after two years.

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
Highlights from Mike Leach's Q&A on Reddit:

Q: I know you are big history buff, if you had to fill your coaching staff with historical figures who would you choose? For the sake of discussion you can't pick a sports figure.

A: Head Coach: George Washington Offensive Coordinator: Geronimo Offensive Assistant: Tarzan Defensive Coordinator: Winston Churchill Defensive Assistant: Daniel Boone

Q: The team is down by 15 with four minutes left when it punches in the ball on the outside zone read that hasn't worked all day but finally beats the WILL who's starting to dog it late in the game. Geronimo is the head coach. Does he go for 2 now, or kick the PAT and wait for the second opportunity?

A: Geronimo's speed and tenacity in adverse conditions is going to allow him and his band of Chiricahua Apaches to score swiftly with that much time left. Illustrated in my book, "Geronimo: Leadership Strategies of an American Warrior," they prepared for situations like this and were raised to respond to them starting as children. They would never flinch in a situation like this. Going for 1 or 2 would be based on their evaluation of the opponent, the terrain, and the resources they had to work with.

Q: If they made a movie about your life, who would play you (other than yourself)?

A: Maybe John Cusack. I think we have some similar looks and mannerisms.

Q: Coach, there has always been a lot of talk about how hard it is to recruit to the Palouse, but you and your staff have been killing it so far this spring. What do you sell these young men on to come to Pullman?

A: It is very simple: we are a true college town in a true college setting. This is something that we nearly have a monopoly on in the Pac 12.
We have just built the best Football Operations Building in the Pac 12 and we have quick, direct flights to many of the locations we recruit to. We are in a gorgeous setting with no freeways, in a place where a student-athlete can focus on his degree and football. This is led by our President, Elson S. Floyd who is celebrating his 7th anniversary as our College President, and our Athletic Director, Bill Moos who played here. Both of which talk to our recruits when they visit campus.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/265mel/i_am_head_football_coach_and_nyt_best_selling/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
Q: Coach, there has always been a lot of talk about how hard it is to recruit to the Palouse, but you and your staff have been killing it so far this spring. What do you sell these young men on to come to Pullman?

A: It is very simple: we are a true college town in a true college setting. This is something that we nearly have a monopoly on in the Pac 12.
We have just built the best Football Operations Building in the Pac 12 and we have quick, direct flights to many of the locations we recruit to. We are in a gorgeous setting with no freeways, in a place where a student-athlete can focus on his degree and football. This is led by our President, Elson S. Floyd who is celebrating his 7th anniversary as our College President, and our Athletic Director, Bill Moos who played here. Both of which talk to our recruits when they visit campus.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/265mel/i_am_head_football_coach_and_nyt_best_selling/

This is so hard for so many people to grasp.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 22, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »

This is so hard for so many people to grasp.
It's not that hard.  If it was, we wouldn't be spenting 135mil.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2018, 10:02:44 PM »
Let’s go get him guys  :cool:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2018, 10:12:24 PM »
i had no idea that elson floyd was an administrator there

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2018, 10:29:43 PM »
Let’s go get him guys  :cool:

Totally agree.