Author Topic: I want Spradler run off the team  (Read 171061 times)

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
Re: I want Spradler run off the team
« Reply #375 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »
2 things...

1. Sprads isn't as bad as many make him out to be, tonight's game was not where he needs to be, but was better.

2. It's clear Frank loves (LOVES) and trusts Sprads a lot, so get used to him playing a lot. Even if shooting terrible.

Discussing tonight about lineups during the game.  Talked about starting Shane, Angel, JO, Gruds, and Jamar, w/ Will, Tay, and Gip completing an 8 man rotation.  Thoughts _Fan?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
I did appreciate (and agree with) Fran's point that perhaps Sprads is playing too many minutes.

when you're shooting as badly as he is, and turning the ball over, and not rebounding, and only playing average frank defense, the answer is he is playing too much.  as fran said tonight, a 14 game "slump"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
I did appreciate (and agree with) Fran's point that perhaps Sprads is playing too many minutes.

You mean the #1 goEMAW talking point for the last month? :gocho:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 28, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »

the only problem is that we're no better with him on the bench.  weird stuff that frank has cooking.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #379 on: February 28, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
cjh is a national treasure

He's just a beautiful human being.  Such a brilliant, shining light of what we should all aspire to be.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I want Spradler run off the team
« Reply #380 on: February 28, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »
2 things...

1. Sprads isn't as bad as many make him out to be, tonight's game was not where he needs to be, but was better.

2. It's clear Frank loves (LOVES) and trusts Sprads a lot, so get used to him playing a lot. Even if shooting terrible.

Discussing tonight about lineups during the game.  Talked about starting Shane, Angel, JO, Gruds, and Jamar, w/ Will, Tay, and Gip completing an 8 man rotation.  Thoughts _Fan?

I don't dislike, but I don't expect Frank to change. As long as he's here and unless injured, I just expect Will to start and play 30. Might as well get used to it.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »

the only problem is that we're no better with him on the bench.  weird stuff that frank has cooking.

Tay had 8 pts in 12 minutes. Frank was NOT IMPRESSED.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #382 on: February 28, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
Will is a ball of clay that Frank wants to mold into something better.  His plan is to sculpt that clay by calling timeouts to yell at it until it turns into what he wants it to be.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
2 things...

The bar is so low for him that we are reduced to celebrating two made shots like he cured paralysis.  He was better tonight and he was 2-5 from the field with 3 assists and 4 turnovers.  Not to mention once again he struggled keeping a guy in front of him.  Won't even hold him not creating for others against him.

He is absolutely horrible right now, but like I've said before I think he will be fine next year.

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »

Yes, this is an overlooked point. We went on our big run at the end of the first half with Will in the game. Every time he touched the ball at that point all I could think was how much I hate Sprads, yet there's no denying he was on the court when good things were happening. Then with him on the bench I expected the team to be way better, but it wasn't and seemingly usually isn't. It's almost enough to understand why Frank thinks he's a 30+ minutes kind of player. But it's not.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
2 things...

The bar is so low for him that we are reduced to celebrating two made shots like he cured paralysis.  He was better tonight and he was 2-5 from the field with 3 assists and 4 turnovers.  Not to mention once again he struggled keeping a guy in front of him.  Won't even hold him not creating for others against him.

He is absolutely horrible right now, but like I've said before I think he will be fine next year.

You don't think the offseason will just lead to some serious film analysis (not that there hasn't been already) where all of our opponents realize you can go at him when he is on on defense and hound him when he is on offense and he will be a -12 by the end?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I want Spradler run off the team
« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »

Yes, this is an overlooked point. We went on our big run at the end of the first half with Will in the game. Every time he touched the ball at that point all I could think was how much I hate Sprads, yet there's no denying he was on the court when good things were happening. Then with him on the bench I expected the team to be way better, but it wasn't and seemingly usually isn't. It's almost enough to understand why Frank thinks he's a 30+ minutes kind of player. But it's not.

I posted Will's plus/minus earlier this week. It's strange, but true.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »

I posted Will's plus/minus earlier this week. It's strange, but true.

I'm disappointed in you, using that garbage stat. You are better than that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 28, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »

He played 38 minutes there is simply no way you can discern how much better we would have played with or without him.  I checked out the run.  We went down 11-18 with 12:54 remaining in the first half, for the rest of the half Will's statistical contributions were as follows

1 steal
2 turnovers
0-2 from the floor
2 assists.  Both assists were guard to guard passes that resulted in a 3 point make.  Side note, I'm not going back and looking but I'm willing to bet that 75-80% of Will's assists are on guard to guard passes that results in a made layup.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 28, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »

I know its a suspect stat for college basketball, but IMO it has some credibility when looked at long term.

Again, I think Will should be scaled back to 20-25 minutes per game, so I don't disagree that he should be playing less. But its also obvious to me that is not going to happen, so we can get as ticked at Will as we want, but all of that should be directed to Frank. I mean, Will played all but 1 minute in tonight's game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
2 things...

You don't think the offseason will just lead to some serious film analysis (not that there hasn't been already) where all of our opponents realize you can go at him when he is on on defense and hound him when he is on offense and he will be a -12 by the end?

I HOPE that his shooting problems are mostly mechanical partly mental.  I think that if he is shooting the ball decently he will have the confidence to do other things like shoot or pass the ball to a big when he gets into the lane.

Defensively I think the solution is easier simply because he's proven before this stretch that he can be an adequate Big 12 defender.  I think he needs to improve his foot work, get a quicker defensive drop step and learn angles a bit better.  I think he can get a bit flat and shallow with his on ball positioning.  That usually happens when you are tired.  Fran could be right, the kid may just be completely beat and needs to recharge.

Of course these are hopes and wishes, I wouldn't guarantee marked improvement.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »

I know its a suspect stat for college basketball, but IMO it has some credibility when looked at long term.

Again, I think Will should be scaled back to 20-25 minutes per game, so I don't disagree that he should be playing less. But its also obvious to me that is not going to happen, so we can get as ticked at Will as we want, but all of that should be directed to Frank. I mean, Will played all but 1 minute in tonight's game.

I choose to continue getting ticked about it. Duh.

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »

He played 38 minutes there is simply no way you can discern how much better we would have played with or without him.  I checked out the run.  We went down 11-18 with 12:54 remaining in the first half, for the rest of the half Will's statistical contributions were as follows

1 steal
2 turnovers
0-2 from the floor
2 assists.  Both assists were guard to guard passes that resulted in a 3 point make.  Side note, I'm not going back and looking but I'm willing to bet that 75-80% of Will's assists are on guard to guard passes that results in a made layup.
[/quote]

This is true. I mean there's obviously a great argument to be made that this team would be better than its current solid form if Will's minutes were given elsewhere.

Unfortunately, as _Fan said, Frank seems determined to never allow us to see what that team would look like. And as long as we're force fed 30+ minutes of Spradler a night, seems like he's not as damaging to the team's success as it feels while watching a game.  :dunno:

Still on #teamspradler20minutesmax though. The issue seems less that Sprads is so awful (he definitely has been at times) and more that we get the most awful version of Spradler due to his playing way more minutes than he should.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

yep

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »
it's almost as though frank just gave goEMAW a big eff YOU

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »
2 things...

don't forget the super savvy play where he tipped the ball to Rod before falling down. BRAINIONS!
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Pretty sure Will was guarding Turner when he started going off....no?

Yep, ednksu or fuktard will claim to watch the game and chart each possession to claim otherwise

Dammit, that was me! Though not because of Will.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »

Yep, ednksu or fuktard will claim to watch the game and chart each possession to claim otherwise

No you did it for fouls, fuktard did it last game to attempt to prove that Spradler didn't get torched by Christopherson

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »

No you did it for fouls, fuktard did it last game to attempt to prove that Spradler didn't get torched by Christopherson

I know. Stop arguing with me.  It hurts my feelings.  I'm a delicate flower and my petals wilt easily.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »
Irving >>>>>>>>> Spradling

Frank must be trying to appease the huge :opcat:  :opcat:  :opcat: element of K-State's fanbase.