Author Topic: I want Spradler run off the team  (Read 171055 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I want Spradler run off the team
« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
He needs a niche.  Fully agree.

That said, it is rough ridin' disappointing. I mean, he has been built up a lot and given everything that he could be given.  He isn't the next hensen like a bunch of idiots though, he isn't the next keaton paige either.  He isn't the next anything because most fans don't remember the names of the people that he is similar to given a year or two passing. 

Just disappointing for fans and sad for Will.  Absolute effort just isn't enough at this level no matter how much his family and coach yell at him.

Paige actually had a similar regression, but from his SO to his JR year.

And Rusty is right, Sprads has shown to have more to his game than just being a set shooter. The late lapses against Christopherson aside, he's been a solid perimeter defender, and definitely no worse than any of our other guards. He is decent at getting a shot once in a while, no necessarily getting to the rim, but getting inside of a defense for a pull up jumper or floater. If you believe in plus/minus stats, his impact is mostly positive even this season.

But there is much more that he could provide and most of that is shooting the ball. Its just becomes hard to justify his shooting given his minutes and the number of shots he's taken.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 27, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Let's get this straight, at no point did I say "Sprads is strictly a spot up shooter and that's it"

All I did was compare him to another player with similar attributes and hopefully a similar career arc and everybody hits the "strictly spot up!" panic button.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
Let's get this straight, at no point did I say "Sprads is strictly a spot up shooter and that's it"

All I did was compare him to another player with similar attributes and hopefully a similar career arc and everybody hits the "strictly spot up!" panic button.

Lots of people have been saying that, even though you haven't.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

That said, it is rough ridin' disappointing. I mean, he has been built up a lot and given everything that he could be given.  He isn't the next hensen like a bunch of idiots though, he isn't the next keaton paige either.  He isn't the next anything because most fans don't remember the names of the people that he is similar to given a year or two passing. 

Just disappointing for fans and sad for Will.  Absolute effort just isn't enough at this level no matter how much his family and coach yell at him.

And Rusty is right, Sprads has shown to have more to his game than just being a set shooter. The late lapses against Christopherson aside, he's been a solid perimeter defender, and definitely no worse than any of our other guards. He is decent at getting a shot once in a while, no necessarily getting to the rim, but getting inside of a defense for a pull up jumper or floater. If you believe in plus/minus stats, his impact is mostly positive even this season.

But there is much more that he could provide and most of that is shooting the ball. Its just becomes hard to justify his shooting given his minutes and the number of shots he's taken.

He's becoming a volume shooter that's not really good at hitting shots for one reason or another.

His eFG right now in conference play is atrocious for a kid that was at 50% last year.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
Will's shot% in conference is 18%. That's far from a volume shooter.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
He's becoming a volume shooter that's not really good at hitting shots for one reason or another.

His eFG right now in conference play is atrocious for a kid that was at 50% last year.

That's the strangest thing to me and gives me hope that he can be a pretty good player. Granted he had Jake, but he played a good number of minutes (over 21 per game in league play) and still had an eFG% of 50.6%, shot 33.3% from 3, had a FT rate of 44%, and and offensive rating of 116.4. Those are really pretty good numbers.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »

Please stop defending Sprads defense, the "experts" have already spoken on this.  :)

His defense was poor on TWO Christopherson makes.  Where he is falling short is offense.  Really the whole team is.  We've proven many times (look at all of our loses) that when we shoot poorly (3-17 vs ISU) from 3 we struggle to win.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:35:54 PM by Fuktard »

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »

I did. Because that's what he is. That doesn't conflict with what you said at all, Rusty; he can penetrate and get to the lane, but he rarely does. In actuality, he plays like a spot shooter and nothing more.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

I did. Because that's what he is. That doesn't conflict with what you said at all, Rusty; he can penetrate and get to the lane, but he rarely does.

He's just not capable of doing that on a consistent basis, when the opening is there, he'll take it. The unfortunate part is, he just hasn't been finishing those opportunities this year. Struggling from deep, struggling from mid-range, and really just not strong enough or athletic enough to be expected to be able to finish at the rim with any regularity.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

My definition of volume shooter is shooting a high number of shots to get a relatively low amount of points.  Due to his poor efficiency this year, he's shooting much more than he should to get to the points he has.

I'm not talking about his shot percentage.  I realize that he's not J'Covan Brown.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
Oh man, if will was J'covan Brown, we would have won the confy.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
have you guys seen this?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
Photoshopped

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I want Spradler run off the team
« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
which one will win this battle of wills?

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
will versus brick wall.  who wins? 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
LOL, so glad I opened this! :thumbs:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »

Make this one look like he is taking a charge, with the boulder rolling over top of him.
tia

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 27, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
I like where this thread is heading  :grin: .
@mikec2w

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
:lol:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
battle of wills lmao

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »

My definition of volume shooter is shooting a high number of shots to get a relatively low amount of points.  Due to his poor efficiency this year, he's shooting much more than he should to get to the points he has.

I'm not talking about his shot percentage.  I realize that he's not J'Covan Brown.

high # shots -> high # points = volume shooter
high # shots -> low # points = shitty player