Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 183779 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #625 on: March 21, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
We more or less played the high school team last weekend when I was visiting back home. By the 4th game, we switched to a zone. Was a 3-2. I had never played a 3-2 before. Was weird. But I was exhausted and didn't care.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »
We more or less played the high school team last weekend when I was visiting back home. By the 4th game, we switched to a zone. Was a 3-2. I had never played a 3-2 before. Was weird. But I was exhausted and didn't care.

So how did that go?  Not only played a zone, but a 3-2?  If you didn't get thrashed the high school team in your town blows.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 22, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »
Me and my bros met up at the outdoor courts in the Panhandle the other day and ran some John Chaney amoeba zone after misses and a half court trap falling back into a 1-3-1 after makes. I ran the baseline like Blake Young and oh man was I tired after that game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 22, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »
The game after that we ran a triangle and two. This time I was one of the baseline guys so it wasn't much work.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 22, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »
I play pickup soccer, is this the right thread?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 22, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
I play pickup soccer, is this the right thread?

I think so, except for I imagine there are different sets of unwritten rules for soccer.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 22, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
So like there used to be this Saudi dude that thought he was a referee and so at Friday night indoor at the Rec, he would parade around with a whistle and a stopwatch and referee the other teams games until it was his team's turn to play.  When every other team would play the person would just step off the court and run the stop watch.

The indoor matches where 12 minutes or first to 2.  Winners stay, tie both teams off.

So the least liked team was the Manhattan Christian College team.  Why?  Because everyone else there was significantly better at soccer than these clowns in high school, but was at least slightly more out of shape.

So one of the cardinal rules in soccer is that the attacking team gets to finish their attack before the game is over.  The running clock at all levels gives soccer ref's the right to stop or continue the game after time is up. 

So the Christians are on the court against the Africans, who everyone loves even though they always flame out in competitive tournaments with a flurry of red cards.  Well, the game is tied and the Christians are attacking and they have like a 3 on zero as time runs out.  As the ball is kicked in to an empty goal the time guy yells "TIME!"  Pretty awesome.  Everyone LOL'd right in the Christian College's faces and two new teams immediately started trotting out as the MCC guys whined.  Even the Africans loved it.

Good times.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
that's a pretty good story. red cards are the equivalent of dirty fouls in hoops, right? seems weird that everyone would like those guys. So you can't ever play w/ the christians or africans?

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 22, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
that's a pretty good story. red cards are the equivalent of dirty fouls in hoops, right? seems weird that everyone would like those guys. So you can't ever play w/ the christians or africans?

Well the Africans would melt down and have one bad tackle after they were losing, then their entire team would invade the field and they would abandon the game.  This happened like three times.  I don't care, it was all between them and the ref.  Everyone loves those guys, their great.  They just melt down in competitions.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 22, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
team africa is the most overrated team in the history of sport

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »

So how did that go?  Not only played a zone, but a 3-2?  If you didn't get thrashed the high school team in your town blows.

They chucked lots of threes. We won the first game, lost the next two. Switched to zone the last two b/c we were exhausted (we were playing to 21 by 1s and 2s, which seems like a lot for a full-sized court) and the two best HS players left and we were just playing the undersized scrubs who would probably play soccer instead of our area had such things.

Also, I have an enormous bruise from an elbow. It looks disgusting.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 22, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
I'm serious! Unless someone honestly played zone in a pickup game, then that would be quite the wacky story!

I played in a pick up game a month ago where they wanted to play zone.  Those dumbasses, including the two guys who proposed playing zone and had no idea what they were doing.  I played the middle of the zone and I can't remember having to cover so much ground playing defense in a pickup game.

:lol:
I can't even imagine someone proposing zone in pick up basketball.

"Hey guys we should play some zone"
"hahahahaha what???"
"Nah just joshin ya hahahahaha"

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »
I'm serious! Unless someone honestly played zone in a pickup game, then that would be quite the wacky story!

I played in a pick up game a month ago where they wanted to play zone.  Those dumbasses, including the two guys who proposed playing zone and had no idea what they were doing.  I played the middle of the zone and I can't remember having to cover so much ground playing defense in a pickup game.

"hahahahaha what???"

It was like three dudes who always played together and me and another rando.  There was no proposal me and the other dude were told we were playing zone.  I thought they were kidding, they certainly were not.  Oh i also forgot to add that my zone team was all over 30, I was likely the youngest and we were playing high schoolers, not just any high schoolers but the ones who are really athletic but otgerwise too shitty at basketball to make their high school team.  Both teams were bad parodies of ourselves.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #638 on: March 22, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

"hahahahaha what???"

It was like three dudes who always played together and me and another rando.  There was no proposal me and the other dude were told we were playing zone.  I thought they were kidding, they certainly were not.  Oh i also forgot to add that my zone team was all over 30, I was likely the youngest and we were playing high schoolers, not just any high schoolers but the ones who are really athletic but otgerwise too shitty at basketball to make their high school team.  Both teams were bad parodies of ourselves.

lol

This perfectly describes the last two games I played the other night. It was me and my brother and five middle-aged farmers who kept rotating in and out.

I will admit I'm fascinated by the 5-5 potbelly guy who can jimmer off a shot from anywhere in the lane.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #639 on: March 22, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »
thoughts on the "pointing at the guy who gave me the ball for an assist" in a pick up game?

I am against it, unless I am doing in a mocking fashion against the other team

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »
thoughts on the "pointing at the guy who gave me the ball for an assist" in a pick up game?

Is that the same thing as saying "nice pass"? Because I think it's worse than nice pass, but I haven't put much thought into it.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #641 on: March 22, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »

Is that the same thing as saying "nice pass"? Because I think it's worse than nice pass, but I haven't put much thought into it.
very similar to nice pass, but yes more obnoxious.   just the point to the assist-man as you run backwards down court.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:57 PM »
another nice subtle jab is saying "nice defense" to someone on your team that just had a foul called on them.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #643 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
I like to call a foul on myself sometimes when its clear i didn't foul anyone, esp fun when opponent misses a fast break layup.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 25, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
another nice subtle jab is saying "nice defense" to someone on your team that just had a foul called on them.

I enjoy doing this from time to time.  Fortunately/unfortunately most of the assholes from my game don't play anymore, so I have been using it less. 

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 25, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
Today:   :excited:

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 25, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »

I enjoy doing this from time to time.  Fortunately/unfortunately most of the assholes from my game don't play anymore, so I have been using it less.

Also use "nice block" when a touchy foul is called on a shot. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 25, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »

very similar to nice pass, but yes more obnoxious.   just the point to the assist-man as you run backwards down court.
If I have a player on my team not paying much attention on offense, I like to use him as a pick and then give him a "nice pick"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 25, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »

Offline ictcat_24

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
So none other than THE Bryce Brown showed up to the Y to play with us tonight. Couple of notes:

- Obviously in-shape and said he had been training for the NFL. Said he had worked out for a couple of teams and seemed optimistic a team would take a chance on him on the second day.
- He was sporting the weirdest hair-do I have ever seen. Here's the closest picture I could find:

- He was the best player on the court all night. And Wednesday night is the night all of the former players come out, so he had some good competition but he was still the best. He can easily dunk, but doesn't go to the rim very much. Stays around the perimeter a lot and tries to shake his man. Takes a lot of ridiculous shots but he was making them, so can't criticize. He won all four games that he played in when I was there.
- Didn't get a fair assessment of his EMAW levels, but assumed very low considering he did not compliment/outwardly acknowledge my K-State shorts or purple shoes.
- My team won the two games after he left.  :cool:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:58:21 AM by ictcat_24 »