Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 186522 times)

The Big Train

Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #900 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:42 PM »
next time i see clams i want to play 1-on-1 so i can dunk on someone taller than me, should be fun

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 14, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
smh that would never happen

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

The Big Train

« Reply #902 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
ill be wearing my J's as well so we will see

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 15, 2015, 05:31:13 AM »
My 40 year old ass will shoot running tear drops all over you trees.

Gonna win 'em all!

Online MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 07, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
Tore my Achilles last night!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 07, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
i just threw up, meatsauce (<--- note the comma)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 04, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
Have I told this story?

Well! This guy, let's call him Ed, had showed up to play a couple times. He drove me crazy, as he loved to walk the ball up the court and never ran and had an east coast accent and I'm pretty sure went to Penn (remember, Ivy Leaguers are the only ones that wear their alma mater gear, and they ALWAYS rock it). Unlike most Ivy Leaguers, who are typically very polite, this guy is kind of a prick, although he is a decent player.

Well, anyway, one day, another player who I really like tells me a story. Apparently, he walked into the locker room, and he walks between the toilets and the lockers, and sees what looks like a perfect little turd on the floor. He is turning to his locker and starts to say, "someone dropped a..." as he points and sees Ed basically covered in crap from the waist down with a trail of crap from the initial turd to his locker. NOTE, HE DID NOT GO TO THE TOILET, WHICH WAS CLOSER. He went AWAY from the toilets somehow making crap go everywhere in the process.

There were a couple people talking about the guy who sprayed crap all over the locker room the day it happened, but I didn't hear the full story until a couple days later. Anyway, Ed didn't play for a couple weeks, but now he's back. He wore yellow everlast boxing shorts yesterday.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 04, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »
jesus christ, get it together ed

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 04, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
Also, I tried a new game Sunday and probably won't come back. It's a community open gym (city owned, with two full courts for basketball), and yelp said there were pickup games there. I went, saw a game was going (that I could fit into skill-wise), and paid my $6. I start shooting, looking for a chalkboard or some way to get into the next game. There were already at least 5 extra guys there, so I just shoot around. While I'm shooting, I notice everyone in the game was Asian. Fun! Multiculturalism. I go up to an older guy who looked like he was ready to play and asked how to get into a game and he pretends to not be able to speak English and kind of yells at some guys and mumbles some things I don't understand. After the game finally ends, I ask another younger guy how to get in, and he's like, "get a team together and call next, there's a lot of people here today so :dunno:"

Another white guy who was there asked me how it went and he was like, "yeah, they kind of have a private game - they say 'we'll have our game and won't mess with yours'" (the second court, where there were not enough outsiders to put a game together. Basically, he usually shows up and if there are 10 "outsiders" to get a second game going, he'll stay, otherwise he just leaves. So I figure I paid my $6, I might as well get some shots up. While I was shooting, one of the Asian guys comes over and says, "you have 5 (outsiders), we have 5, do you want to run?" I kind of gather up the other guys, and the leader of three guys shooting on the other end was sarcastically like, "oh really? they want to play? How gracious of them!"

We play by 1's and 2's to 12, and I got the standard defense I get the first time I join a game - "this guy can't possibly do anything, I don't need to try" and I smoked a fool for an easy layup on the first possession and a corner 3 the possession after next. :cool: Of course we destroy them, but in hindsight we probably should have taken it easy on them to get them to play more but goddam I think we were all annoyed at the exclusion. After that, I left.

Anyway, are there many games where you still have to put a full team together to have next? WTF is this crap?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 04, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
man, Asian basketball sounds weird. 

north American rules typically dictate that when there's less than 15 players, the guys sitting have the next game and the prior losers shoot to round out the 5.  a common derivative of this is where the guy who's got next gets to pick his 5 for the next game. 

never heard of this Asian scam. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 27, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
I found an outdoor pickup game. Very different. I never played outdoors late enough in life to switch ends halfway through the game. I asked the guys (who were very nice) about a different area outdoor game and it led to an interesting discussion. (Keep in mind my current game is mostly Asian but a few black guys and white guys).

Quote from: guy 1
Yeah, I've heard about that game. Ooh, it's rough. Lots of fouls out here aren't fouls there.
Quote from: guy 2
Is it a hood game?
Quote from: guy 1
Ummmm.....it's more like Filipino hood.
Quote from: guy 2
Yeah, so it's not a real hood game

:dunno:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 27, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
There is always some kind of passive (or not so passive) way for pickup games to try and keep outsider out.  One of the more effective I experienced was at the court in front of the Overland Park city hall.  Whenever us HS kids would get our 5 on the court the biggest of the regulars on the other team would cherry pick to the extreme, basically never leaving the lane under his goal.  We would go 5 on 4 on one end and if we scored or not they would just throw it over the top to their big guy for a layup so the game only lasted exactly 11 possessions or whatever.

We left after the 2nd game they did this and never returned.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 27, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
There is always some kind of passive (or not so passive) way for pickup games to try and keep outsider out.  One of the more effective I experienced was at the court in front of the Overland Park city hall.  Whenever us HS kids would get our 5 on the court the biggest of the regulars on the other team would cherry pick to the extreme, basically never leaving the lane under his goal.  We would go 5 on 4 on one end and if we scored or not they would just throw it over the top to their big guy for a layup so the game only lasted exactly 11 possessions or whatever.

We left after the 2nd game they did this and never returned.
why didn't you dummies play 4 on 4 then

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 28, 2015, 09:54:57 AM »
I apologize for the unclear post, the point of the story is how the adults playing at a regular pick up game discourage skinny High School kids from playing by cherry picking. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 28, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
I apologize for the unclear post, the point of the story is how the adults playing at a regular pick up game discourage skinny High School kids from playing by cherry picking. 

I got it

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 28, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »
After 4 knee surgeries I'm basically just a really good looking Vlade Divac now. I play point-forward and everyone loves my positive attitude and range.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 28, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »
After 4 knee surgeries I'm basically just a really good looking Vlade Divac now. I play point-forward and everyone loves my positive attitude and range.
do you smoke unfiltereds between games too?

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 28, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
I rarely lose so not a lot of time b/w games.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 25, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
how does everyone handle fouls when one team is trailing by one basket and time is running out?

We have a rule that if you are behind and get fouled as time expires or is about to expire, you get one shot to try to tie*. Today my team was down 2, the other team had the ball, stalled for the last 40 seconds or so and shot with like 3 seconds left. We got the rebound, and they hacked us immediately. We called foul, made a basket on our allowed shot, went to sudden death OT, and won. One guy on the other team was PISSSSED about us making the call. Saying the next logical step is calling three seconds. What say you?

*I think the team that got fouled should get a full possession, but whatever

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 25, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
there is no time in pickup bball.  maybe post your question in the sf things thread.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 25, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »
there is no time in pickup bball.  maybe post your question in the sf things thread.

it's court rules. 12 minutes running clock or first to 17 by 2's and 3's

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 25, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
disable the clock.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 25, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
that guy is obviously wrong.  if they're simply hacking to run out the clock, why wouldn't you be allowed to shoot the free throws?  it's not at all the same as 3 seconds.  it was those douchebags that decided to run the 4 corners offense.  but ya, timed pickup basketball is 'gloidian.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 25, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
that guy is obviously wrong.  if they're simply hacking to run out the clock, why wouldn't you be allowed to shoot the free throws?  it's not at all the same as 3 seconds.  it was those douchebags that decided to run the 4 corners offense.  but ya, timed pickup basketball is 'gloidian.

that's what I told him.

there's like 20+ on the court by 6:30am, and sometimes no one can get a bucket. Have to time it.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 25, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »

that's what I told him.

there's like 20+ on the court by 6:30am, and sometimes no one can get a bucket. Have to time it.
Good grief...
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14