Author Topic: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD  (Read 183773 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: PICKUP BASKETBALL THREAD
« Reply #950 on: March 30, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »
You guys play with the offense calling the foul? Wouldn't it be easier to have the defense call the foul knowing that if you aren't gonna call the foul you won't get one on the other end?
if you are playing a regular game with few or no subs the defense should call the foul

If you are playing pick up at a place like the Rec where there are people waiting to play it is on the offense to call the foul

I haven't opened up this thread in 3 years  :surprised:

Anyway defense calling the foul is terrible, it allows people to cheat. When I lived in Boston one of my regular games didn't play with and 1s. I would catch the ball in the post and this guy, who wasn't nearly as strong as I was, would just immediately call a foul despite I could easily score through the contact. rough ridin' infuriating.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 30, 2017, 08:57:21 PM »
I've never played with defense calling fouls. Also never played where a basket scored through a foul didn't count. What kind if psycho games did you maniacs find?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 30, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
The defense calling fouls is more a 10 or so guys rent a gym and play for a fun workout- keeping the game moving is more important than winning or losing. In this situation where everybody knows one another you get crap for calling too many fouls on offense and for fouling too much on d.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 30, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »

The defense calling fouls is more a 10 or so guys rent a gym and play for a fun workout- keeping the game moving is more important than winning or losing. In this situation where everybody knows one another you get crap for calling too many fouls on offense and for fouling too much on d.

I mean, defense always CAN call fouls, but generally offense will call it. I don't see why that would be different just because you know everyone and nobly ignore winning and losing.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #954 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:18 AM »
Guys.  Working to get back into the PUB Circuit.  I'm afraid of shitting myself and/or dying of a heart attack.  Any Elite PUB tips for a guy that hasn't played (but use to dominate) in over 20 years?

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 31, 2017, 08:11:21 AM »
Guys.  Working to get back into the PUB Circuit.  I'm afraid of shitting myself and/or dying of a heart attack.  Any Elite PUB tips for a guy that hasn't played (but use to dominate) in over 20 years?

Pick your battles sprinting full court! And it was very helpful when we played to have 6 or 7 per team to allow for subs to rotate thru as everyone got gassed.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 31, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »
Take it easy. Don't dive for loose balls or fight too hard for rebounds. The number one injured player (anecdotally) is the guy who obviously hasn't played in a while and goes way too hard for their body to handle. If you make it through a couple games and feel pretty good, just be glad you didn't get hurt and call it a day.

Sprinting probably isn't much of a worry, but "pick your battles" is pretty great advice. Also keep playing consistently. Don't let sore knees the day after your first game keep you from coming back. If you play regularly, eventually your joints will rebuild strength and you can go "20 years ago" speed fairly consistently.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »

Camp out in the corner and chuck 3s and guard the slowest player on the other team until you get back in game shape.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »

Camp out in the corner and chuck 3s and guard the slowest player on the other team until you get back in game shape.
YOU'RE A rough ridin' MONSTER!

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 31, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »

YOU'RE A rough ridin' MONSTER!

Floor spacing is an important part of basketball. Also don't want HF to be a liability on D while he's getting back into basketball shape.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 31, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Great advice, townie

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 31, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Any of you guys wear ankle braces?  I'm in a never ending loop of play a couple months, sprain ankle, sit out a few weeks, play with tape for a while, and start over.  Maybe I should stop jumping.  :ck:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 31, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »

Any of you guys wear ankle braces?  I'm in a never ending loop of play a couple months, sprain ankle, sit out a few weeks, play with tape for a while, and start over.  Maybe I should stop jumping.  :ck:

What do you do to rehab/strengthen your ankle?

I use an ankle brace but I'm about to drop it. I've used it a couple months.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 31, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »
I try to get back into my regular exercise ASAP, just stay away from basketball a few weeks.  Regular exercise is a lot of running plus 1-2 days/week of strength work that includes various squats, lunges, box jumps, etc.  Basketball is really just a filler for my off days or to break routine.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
I try to get back into my regular exercise ASAP, just stay away from basketball a few weeks.  Regular exercise is a lot of running plus 1-2 days/week of strength work that includes various squats, lunges, box jumps, etc.  Basketball is really just a filler for my off days or to break routine.

I'd also look up ankle stretches, do some one-legged squats, and some bosu ball work. Probably more than once a week if you want to play basketball. It really helped me.

The Big Train

« Reply #965 on: March 31, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
In hindsight I probably should have at least shot a basket before we started playing

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 31, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
In hindsight I probably should have at least shot a basket before we started playing

PROBABLY!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 31, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »

Hopefully you're playing at one of those places that has a smaller court.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #968 on: March 31, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »

I've got two choices at this point.  Church basketball on tuesdays or any other day @ the KSU REC.  I'm leaning towards Church for the pace but my heart says REC to show these bitches how we ball in the early 90's.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 31, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »

I've got two choices at this point.  Church basketball on tuesdays or any other day @ the KSU REC.  I'm leaning towards Church for the pace but my heart says REC to show these bitches how we ball in the early 90's.
rec games are not very fun just fyi

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 31, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

I think injury is more likely to occur on a smaller court. Big courts lead to more jogging and less cutting.

I could be wrong though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 01, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »

I think injury is more likely to occur on a smaller court. Big courts lead to more jogging and less cutting.

I could be wrong though.

As someone who has had to play himself into shape more than once the small court is definitely the best path. He's going to have to jog regardless, better to do it where you are less likely to have to chase someone who has run pass you. I have never seen someone get hurt in a pick up game as a result of making a cut.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 01, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
Not sure if they still do, but the Mormon church in Manhattan used to have games. So did the church in St George that now resides at the old grade school

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 01, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »

I could be wrong though.

As someone who has had to play himself into shape more than once the small court is definitely the best path. He's going to have to jog regardless, better to do it where you are less likely to have to chase someone who has run pass you. I have never seen someone get hurt in a pick up game as a result of making a cut.

I'm not talking like basket cuts, just a lot of movements that are hard on joints. I've definitely injured myself making a hard cut on defense.

But I see your point.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 27, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
FUN PICKUP UPDATES

-THERE'S A GUY PROBABLY IN HIS MID-50'S THAT KEEPS TRACK OF HOW MANY POINTS HE SCORED IN A DAY. HOW DO I KNOW THIS? ONE DAY IN THE LOCKER ROOM HE TOLD ME HOW MANY POINTS HE SCORED THAT DAY

-YESTERDAY A GUY THREW A PASS BEHIND ME ON A FAST BREAK AND YELLED AT ME TO CUT TO THE BASKET. I WAS LIKE, "ARE YOU TALKING TO ME? THE PASS WAS BEHIND ME." "WELL I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO CUT AND YOU FLARED INSTEAD" AND I'M LIKE "YEAH WELL THE PASS WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE BEHIND ME IF I'D CUT TO THE BASKET. NO ONE CARES IF YOU THROUGH A BAD PASS, DON'T YELL AT ME." AND HE SAID "YOU MADE ME CHANGE MY PASS" AND THEN EVENTUALLY SAID "THAT PASS WAS STILL MY FAULT" AND I WAS LIKE "I KNOW".

-FRIDAY THERE WAS AN IVY LEAGUE GUY WITH AN ARM SLEEVE AND A NY CORPORATE ATTORNEY LEAGUE JERSEY AND HE WAS COACHING EVERYONE AND I HATED HIM

PICKUP BASKETBALL IS SERIOUSLY A LOT OF FUN