Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 976901 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #3000 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »
Maybe I'm off here, but it seems like oscar doesn't care about recruiting guards who play defense.  He likes a post guy that blocks shots to clean up the mess.

Am I wrong here?  Seems like a pattern.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 21, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
I like this kid. He is a bit undersized (which is probably why he was a mid major recruit), but it sounds like he blew up a bit his senior year after moving and got high major interest from Seton Hall, Missouri, and us. I like that he's a combo and hopefully he can become the next Tay. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

He's like Marty, except flipflop the the offense and defense. He didn't look too interested in guarding people, but he did hit threes from NBA range and dunked on bitches. So, really he would be the anti-Marty.

Last season Tay was better offensively than defensively.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
I like this kid. He is a bit undersized (which is probably why he was a mid major recruit), but it sounds like he blew up a bit his senior year after moving and got high major interest from Seton Hall, Missouri, and us. I like that he's a combo and hopefully he can become the next Tay. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

He's like Marty, except flipflop the the offense and defense. He didn't look too interested in guarding people, but he did hit threes from NBA range and dunked on bitches. So, really he would be the anti-Marty.

I was just trying to compare them coming in as freshman. Obviously hard to do with limited film, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that Nigel is a good defender (haven't read anything that says he isn't either.) Marty was touted as a a tough, physical defender when we signed him.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: April 21, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
The oscar yardstick: He's better than Orris. :facepalm:

I'm not sure you realize what's going on here.

Could be I'm behind the curve. Enlighten me.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: April 21, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

I was just trying to compare them coming in as freshman. Obviously hard to do with limited film, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that Nigel is a good defender (haven't read anything that says he isn't either.) Marty was touted as a a tough, physical defender when we signed him.

Well the video I posted showed him getting a ton of steals. I don't think I've ever seen that many minutes worth of a high school recruit getting steals. But regardless, defense is significantly easier to teach than shooting ability.

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 21, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »

the vids would indicate he will miss less open layups than Tay in a 4 year period

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

Well the video I posted showed him getting a ton of steals. I don't think I've ever seen that many minutes worth of a high school recruit getting steals. But regardless, defense is significantly easier to teach than shooting ability.

I missed that vid, gonna have to check it out. And to your point, yes.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 21, 2013, 11:12:42 PM »
The oscar yardstick: He's better than Orris. :facepalm:

I'm not sure you realize what's going on here.

Could be I'm behind the curve. Enlighten me.

We had 4 open scholly's for the 2013 Class when the 2012/13 basketball season started. Those 4 spots were filled up during the winter. After the NCAA tournament, we oscar'd 2 guys. Orris and Diaz. That gives us to more scholly's (at least) for the 2013 class. In order for those two transfers to benefit us, the incoming players have to be better than the ones they are replacing. Nigel looks to be better than Orris, and we are in need of a comboguard to rest Angel. At least until Jevon can play in the spring. For a spring 'cruit, he is solid.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: April 21, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
His stroke is bizarre. Looks like a double clutch version of Angel's.

He shoots one-handed. Kind of over the shoulder. V weird.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
That release point is very low. I like him though. I like that he plays like he's the best player on the floor. I obviously haven't seen an entire game of his, but I'm guessing he doesn't have games when he goes unnoticed. I also like that he appears to like contact when he gets into the lane. He's going to need to lose that scoop shot though. Those guards he played against in the videos were horrendous.

Johnson and Frankamp should have some fun battles dropping bombs and talking crap to each other the next 4 years.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: April 22, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »
He's going to need to lose that scoop shot though. Those guards he played against in the videos were horrendous.

Yup.

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: April 22, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »
Dribbling. Can someone give a decent breakdown of how well he can dribble? It's hard to explain, but i can't watch youtube at the moment.

elitist since 1994

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: April 22, 2013, 08:14:50 AM »
Plants his right foot first for basically every shot. Then does like a double clutch. Probably can get his shot off better than Angel, but still doesn't look ideal.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: April 22, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

Neck and neck, imo. How do you compare 2 masterpieces?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: April 22, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
so what is the list of players we are targeting for the one* open spot? tia

*for now

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: April 22, 2013, 09:24:35 AM »
so what is the list of players we are targeting for the one* open spot? tia

*for now

Lowrey was quoted as saying we want a big with some age.  He was also talking about holding a ship for next year.  The ideal for me would be to get one of these senior transfers with some size so we can kind of have our cake and eat it too.  Is that big kid from Purdue still available he looked decent? 

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
Maybe I'm off here, but it seems like oscar doesn't care about recruiting guards who play defense.  He likes a post guy that blocks shots to clean up the mess.

Am I wrong here?  Seems like a pattern.

I think 90% of coaches recruit kids that can score first and then try and teach them to play defense.  We're just not used to it because our last two coaches fell into the 10% that recruit defense first.   

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: April 22, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »
posted by redacted:
How close was Nigel Johnson to cracking the top 150? Seems like a pretty talented player.

posted by bossi:
Never came up. Solid player, very bouncy and streaky shooter/scorer. But not particularly big for a combo guard. Solid mid major prospect.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: April 22, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »
posted by redacted:
How close was Nigel Johnson to cracking the top 150? Seems like a pretty talented player.

posted by bossi:
Never came up. Solid player, very bouncy and streaky shooter/scorer. But not particularly big for a combo guard. Solid mid major prospect.

Fantastic.

:facepalm:

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: April 22, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
posted by redacted:

posted by bossi:

Fantastic.

:facepalm:
I don't want to defend oscar but I get much less work up about bringing in MM quality guards (especially pgs/combos) than I do bigs - even less so if they are athletic.  Size in pgs and combos is can be overrated.

Offline FranklyFrankYou

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: April 22, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
I agree with the MM guard theory. Not saying this is the case at all but there have been a ton of guards make it to the league from MM schools... Rodney Stuckey, Steph Cutty, Eric Maynor. Granted, I don't know what their HS profiles and offer lists were but bring deemed a mid major prospect is by no means a death toll to your future success...hell Jake was gonna go to Dayton or some place like that had we not rolled thru.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: April 22, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
I don't want to defend oscar but I get much less work up about bringing in MM quality guards (especially pgs/combos) than I do bigs - even less so if they are athletic.  Size in pgs and combos is can be overrated.

absolutely correct on every point.  bigs are like 100 times easier to scout.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: April 22, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

absolutely correct on every point.  bigs are like 100 times easier to scout.

Bigs ceiling are really easy to scout i.e. this kid has not chance of being a high major player. Find bigs that pan out and be solid is harder than finding solid guards.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
are you saying that it's easier to find a good guard than a good big?  i agree with that, if that's what you're saying.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: April 22, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
They basically were telling me I could come in right away and play heavy minutes and have a great impact and make a big difference.

Weber's love for guards is evident in his 2013 class. With the addition of Johnson, that is the fourth guard or wing player he has landed for K-State this year.