Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 965559 times)

Offline Jackie Moon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2550 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Seems as though a member of our coaching staff is in Lexington, KY tonight. Any idea who they might be watching there?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 12, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »
Marcus Foster scored 35 points and got 14 rebounds. He's 6'2"!!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: February 12, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
Marcus Foster scored 35 points and got 14 rebounds. He's 6'2"!!

The new McOrebs....
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SPE_khat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 17, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
ho-hum another 34 pt 12 reb performance for Foster although his team got smoked.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2013/feb/16/no-1-findlay-faith-christian-impress/

Offline ManBearPig

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »
Interesting to see how good the Barreno kid will be since we were recruiting him at one point in time. He had 18 and 15 against Hiirshi.
THE_ED'S STAYING ALIVE GAME CHAMPION

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 17, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Interesting to see how good the Barreno kid will be since we were recruiting him at one point in time. He had 18 and 15 against Hiirshi.

Sometimes it really sucks to see how our near misses turned out. The one that haunts me the most (in basketball) is easily Hardaway Jr. But when watching D'angelo Harrison, Shane Larkin and Ryan Boatright, I'm really, really happy that we got Angel.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:37:59 PM by Jakesie60 »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 17, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
freeman.   :cry:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
I think Kadji has been pretty solid.  Also Boynton hurt.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »
What are we considering near misses here?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »

Mario Little or Alec Burks in reality
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: February 17, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »

Smart? Or was that only in my dreams?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »

Making someone's final 2-4 schools. Which is why I don't consider Smart (sorry jtksu).

Offline ManBearPig

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: February 19, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »
Alec Burks still kinda stings....but a lot of people missed on him. I don't know how close we were with Willie Cauley, but he would have been a HUGE addition to this team. Smart and Forte were a package deal and I didn't really expect them to come here. Losing Tony Mitchell wound up not being as big of a deal since he kinda flamed out this year. Other than that, not a whole lot of misses for me. 
THE_ED'S STAYING ALIVE GAME CHAMPION

Offline Lrrrrman

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
How close were we on Boatright? This team would be lethal with a scoring option better than Spradler.  :opcat:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
During my snow day, I looked up the 4 recruits coming in next year. Some of these videos may be posted in this thread, but I wanted to consolidate it to one post.

Jevon Thomas: PG
I have no idea how this guy went under the radar. He committed to St. John's, then Dayton, then to us thanks to the dreamy Chet Frasier. He has one of the widest skill sets I've seen in a PG. Amazing vision, great ability to get separation and create his own shot, can hit the 3, and can drive and draw contact. Oh, and at 5'11" he can dunk it. This is easily the player I am most excited for in this next class.

Marcus Foster: SG
He's listed anywhere from 6'2" to 6'4". Haven't seen too many clips out his outside range, most of his highlights are drives to the basket. There was some concern about his ability to go left. In the first video I've posted, he makes a nice move to lay it in with his left hand at the 40 second mark, but besides that he takes way more complicated shots by favoring his right hand even when coming in from the right. He'll definitely have to work on that before he can be a major contributor. It looks like he can dunk with ease (see end of 2nd video). Most likely he'll get a handful of minutes at the 2 next year. Obviously not as many as Tay has gotten this year because nothing makes me think he can fill in at PG even at a limited role. He has great court awareness, but it shows up more on the defensive side of the ball that the offensive, which I'm totally fine with.

Westicles: SF
At 6'7" and a whopping 190 pounds, I imagine he'll have to put on at least 20 pounds before he's a real contributor. For a lazy comparison, this looks like you took Shane's body/athleticism and gave him Rodney's freshman/sophomore year skillset. Lots of offensive rebounding, and getting to the right place at the right time. Likes to get inside. He has long ways to go on the defensive side of the ball, but luckily that's the most teachable thing when making the jump from HS to college. If we keep the offense that we ran this year, I imagine he'll be asked to do what Shane's been doing. Unless he develops an outside range, I don't see him as anything more than a role player, especially considering Thomas and Foster will likely overshadow him during their 4 years here. Also, he wears #30! Just like Beasley!

Neville Fincher: PF/C
Listed at 6'9". Pretty limited highlights on this guy. He makes some really athletic dunks and they are fun to watch. So it's hard to not like that. Saw a couple clips where he dribbles past his guy to the basket, and I'm not sure we've had a big be able to do that in a long time. Seems to have good body control, much like Jamar Samuels (he also wears #32!). I also doubt this guy's defense, and rightly or wrongly, I think it's harder to correct a center's defense than a guards.

(lots of clips of guys blowing by him at the beginning, offensive highlights start at 2:37)

So, sys & MIR, feel free to PI me or critique me nicely, whichever suits you best today. I'm sure you'll object to parts of these reviews.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: February 21, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
Good stuff Jakesie. Well done.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 21, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
thanks stevesie (pal)  :thumbs:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
During my snow day, I looked up the 4 recruits coming in next year. Some of these videos may be posted in this thread, but I wanted to consolidate it to one post.

I have no idea how this guy went under the radar. He committed to St. John's, then Dayton, then to us thanks to the dreamy Chet Frasier. He has one of the widest skill sets I've seen in a PG. Amazing vision, great ability to get separation and create his own shot, can hit the 3, and can drive and draw contact. Oh, and at 5'11" he can dunk it. This is easily the player I am most excited for in this next class.

He's listed anywhere from 6'2" to 6'4". Haven't seen too many clips out his outside range, most of his highlights are drives to the basket. There was some concern about his ability to go left. In the first video I've posted, he makes a nice move to lay it in with his left hand at the 40 second mark, but besides that he takes way more complicated shots by favoring his right hand even when coming in from the right. He'll definitely have to work on that before he can be a major contributor. It looks like he can dunk with ease (see end of 2nd video). Most likely he'll get a handful of minutes at the 2 next year. Obviously not as many as Tay has gotten this year because nothing makes me think he can fill in at PG even at a limited role. He has great court awareness, but it shows up more on the defensive side of the ball that the offensive, which I'm totally fine with.

At 6'7" and a whopping 190 pounds, I imagine he'll have to put on at least 20 pounds before he's a real contributor. For a lazy comparison, this looks like you took Shane's body/athleticism and gave him Rodney's freshman/sophomore year skillset. Lots of offensive rebounding, and getting to the right place at the right time. Likes to get inside. He has long ways to go on the defensive side of the ball, but luckily that's the most teachable thing when making the jump from HS to college. If we keep the offense that we ran this year, I imagine he'll be asked to do what Shane's been doing. Unless he develops an outside range, I don't see him as anything more than a role player, especially considering Thomas and Foster will likely overshadow him during their 4 years here. Also, he wears #30! Just like Beasley!

Listed at 6'9". Pretty limited highlights on this guy. He makes some really athletic dunks and they are fun to watch. So it's hard to not like that. Saw a couple clips where he dribbles past his guy to the basket, and I'm not sure we've had a big be able to do that in a long time. Seems to have good body control, much like Jamar Samuels (he also wears #32!). I also doubt this guy's defense, and rightly or wrongly, I think it's harder to correct a center's defense than a guards.

(lots of clips of guys blowing by him at the beginning, offensive highlights start at 2:37)

So, sys & MIR, feel free to PI me or critique me nicely, whichever suits you best today. I'm sure you'll object to parts of these reviews.
Jevon has filled out a lot since those videos. 

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 21, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Jevon has filled out a lot since those videos.
Are you talking "ain't no seats" kind of filled out, or more muscular kind of filled out?
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline bozocat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: February 21, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »

Nice work, Jakesie.  I'm more impressed with Foster.  I see what everyone is talking about, but I disagree to some extent.  He can absolutely "go left".  He can handle the ball with his left, spin to the left, etc. he just finishes with his right.  That can be fixed.  I like Jevon's toughness, but I think some of the driving and drawing contact is going to get stuffed back into his face in conference play.  Overall, I think we'll be in good hands for guards for the next few years.  I like Westicles.  Nice body control and finishes well.  Can he shoot from outside 5'?  Nothing on this clips shows that.  Fincher looks like a decent 4.  Good depth player.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: February 21, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »
the most important thing we need though is a pg. and we have that here. feels really good.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: February 21, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
Excellent stuff Stevesie.

This is a good class. Every guy looks like he can be a contributor within a year or two. Westicles and Thomas are the most exciting to me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: February 21, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »

AWESOME! The only thing I'd take exception to is I think its easier to make a big a better defender than a guard. I'm excluding rim protector out of the equation because for the most part that really can't be taught and is a matter of length more than anything else. Often if a guard is a garbage defender and they aren't lazy a lot of the issue is physical. There are techniques that can be used to overcome physical deficiencies, but for the most part those deficiencies still exist. If you're a big being a good help defender is a huge part of what you need to do. Also a huge difference between defending bigs and guards is that when you're defending a big most of your work is defending someone without the ball and attempting to not allowing the guy you are guarding to catch it.

Anyway, sorry too much detail there, don't want to derail your work. Your breakdowns were wonderful and very much appreciated Jake.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: February 21, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Nice job J-60.  Only thing I would add is that I think we might see (probably see?) Foster at the 3 as well.  He's a physical guard who plays bigger than his size.  oscar has shown he's not afraid to go small, and I think Foster is a good rebounding guard.  So I agree he'll won't see any minutes at the 1, but he see him getting minutes in line with Angel, Sprads and Southwell.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: February 21, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »
Nice job J-60.  Only thing I would add is that I think we might see (probably see?) Foster at the 3 as well.  He's a physical guard who plays bigger than his size.  oscar has shown he's not afraid to go small, and I think Foster is a good rebounding guard.  So I agree he'll won't see any minutes at the 1, but he see him getting minutes in line with Angel, Sprads and Southwell.

He absolutely plays big. I just think there's enough congestion next year at the 3 (Omari, Nino/Shane in at the same time, Westicles) that we won't see him there. And unless we bring in a really good SG, I don't know any other year we'd need to move him down to the 3.