Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 976965 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2075 on: September 20, 2012, 06:56:25 AM »
I don't know why people hate the 2012 class so much, In fact for a last second spring class it is actually pretty good.

MICHAEL ORRIS had offers from Illinois(Groce Staff), Pitt, and Nebraska. ESPN Ranked him 22nd pg.
DARRELL JOHNSON had offers from Alabama, Memphis and Va Tech.

Orris was committed to IL when Groce was hired.  Shortly thereafter both Orris and commit Jalen James "reopened" their recruitments.  Groce didn't want either and they both knew it.  He wanted Malcom Hill who was also committed and stayed committed.  Groce targets fast PGs who can score.  That's not Orris at all. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

catzacker

« Reply #2076 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:30 AM »
So we're all supposed to start blowing each other over 3 player class of all non top 150 3* recruits?

Who the hell said that?

I've said multiple times this isn't going to be a top 25 class because there's no shot at that. What this class does have a shot is having some solid players(maybe even some damn good ones) on some competitive teams. What's really going to determine if we can compete in the upper tier of the B12 is if we're able to land a few of our higher ranked targets in future classes.

This class, IMO, is shaping up to be adequate but adequate doesn't necessarily let you compete deep into the postseason.  Just like everybody else here, I want to compete deep into the postseason. Looking forward to the development of our current roster, this class, and future classes to see if we have a shot to do that.

my point is that this isn't a particularly good class.  average.  and it's not because of who the head coach is either.  i was just as critical of frank's recruiting.  frank's recruiting was garbage outside of '09.  SD mentionted this concept earlier:

Frank recruited like crap but got the guys to play. I'm curious how Weber is going to respond to trying to coach less talent than most the competition for the first time in his life in a couple years. PROBABLY NOT WELL.

Now, maybe oscar's propensity is to not run players off (I don't know what his track record was) and therefore recruiting these fringe top 150 players (or 150-200 players) can pay off in a SLTH way by giving them until their Jr year to begin to have more playing time/responsibility heaped on them.  This class is average until those little top 150 numbers are listed before their names.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »
So we're all supposed to start blowing each other over 3 player class of all non top 150 3* recruits?

only if you're pissclams. most everyone else will actually look at the situation and discuss it rationally for what it is. dick suck central for that poster though. slurp, slurp.

:bawl:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 20, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »

only if you're pissclams. most everyone else will actually look at the situation and discuss it rationally for what it is. dick suck central for that poster though. slurp, slurp.

great discussion as always, clams.  :thumbs:

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 20, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »
Now, maybe oscar's propensity is to not run players off (I don't know what his track record was) and therefore recruiting these fringe top 150 players (or 150-200 players) can pay off in a SLTH way by giving them until their Jr year to begin to have more playing time/responsibility heaped on them.  This class is average until those little top 150 numbers are listed before their names.
Frank running off players was one of is best attributes, allowed us to go through more recruits to find talent. Might not be morally right, what happened to Dom was flat out wrong. 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »
Agau to Louisville. I'm not even sure how hard KSU was recruiting him, he just popped up in the database 1 day and GPC went nuts over it. Anyway, he was the Nubbs top target.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/PREPZONE/709199828/0

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 20, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »

yup, dom the point guard, everyone knew that dom was a natural 1.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 20, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
Frank running off players was one of is best attributes, allowed us to go through more recruits to find talent. Might not be morally right, what happened to Dom was flat out wrong.

dom pretty much wanted to be a point guard and frank wasn't going to let him. letting players get away with that kind of crap is partially why weber crashed and burned in illinois. as much as i hated seeing dom go, you can't let players and handlers dictate things like that if you want to have long term success.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »

go suck oscar weber's crock until your throat muscles give out.

well, it's at least a sentence and not just an emoticon or the word butthurt. i'll take it i guess. baby steps.  sooner or later we'll actually be able to have an actual discussion about kansas state basketball on this message board. :thumbs:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 20, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
eff guys, take it to the birther pit

:flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush:
 :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: September 20, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »

go suck oscar weber's crock until your throat muscles give out.

well, it's at least a sentence and not just an emoticon or the word butthurt. i'll take it i guess. baby steps.  sooner or later we'll actually be able to have an actual discussion about kansas state basketball on this message board. :thumbs:

tell us more about dom's desire to play pg.  let's chat!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 20, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »

sorry bro, it's a lot more fun to cry about oscar weber and take the thread OT. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
I just wish my two favorite posters could get along again.  FYFM FYJC FYBW
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: September 20, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »

as hard as i know it is for you to see, nobody is crying about oscar weber. so you can take the butthurt mantra and shove it up your ass. people are discussing his recruiting and his retention of those recruits vs franks. this is a recruiting thread so the discussion seems kind of on topic.

oscar would tell you that a major reason his teams did not succeed at the end was that he was trying to make everyone happy. players, handlers, etc. those quotes are out there. he would say that he did this to a fault and it's one of the things that i sincerely hope he changes about himself. he seems self aware with it so i think he maybe can.

frank didn't gaf. dom wanted to bring the ball up the court more and handle it more and whined about it constantly. frank told him to gtfo. one coach turned over a lot of players because he would not give in to any demands and the other did not turn over players because he would.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51:25 AM »
wow, the butthurt is strong with this one.  must suck.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: September 20, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »

nice contribution again clams.  :thumbs:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: September 20, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »
back ON TOPIC, i'm going to go ahead and agree with everyone in the thread and say I'm ok with this class of 2013 and can't wait to see them on the court!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: September 20, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »

nice contribution again clams.  :thumbs:

thanks, Post Rater! 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
Stuff on other prospects that KSU has offered/shown interest in during the past.

Alvin Ellis visiting Minnesota this weekend, MN staff had an in-home visit with him last week, sounds like the Gophers are leading for him right now.

Hassan Martin visiting Rhode Island. KSU had reportedly offered Martin(along with Iowa St.) but right now Atewe appears to be our top big target. If that doesn't work out, KSU's recruitment of Martin might intensify but he has recently stated he sees himself playing in the Big East or Atlantic 10.

Peter Jok visiting Iowa this weekend. Jok also reports interest from Drake(offer and recent visit), Wisconsin, and KSU. It sounds like Iowa is really in the lead and he might even commit there after this weekend.

Jeff Carroll still mentioning KSU along with TCU, SMU, OK St, and Marquette. Visiting OK St Sep 28, TCU Oct 4, and might be visiting Marquette in October. He plans to decide within the next month.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »

as hard as i know it is for you to see, nobody is crying about oscar weber. so you can take the butthurt mantra and shove it up your ass. people are discussing his recruiting and his retention of those recruits vs franks. this is a recruiting thread so the discussion seems kind of on topic.

oscar would tell you that a major reason his teams did not succeed at the end was that he was trying to make everyone happy. players, handlers, etc. those quotes are out there. he would say that he did this to a fault and it's one of the things that i sincerely hope he changes about himself. he seems self aware with it so i think he maybe can.

frank didn't gaf. dom wanted to bring the ball up the court more and handle it more and whined about it constantly. frank told him to gtfo. one coach turned over a lot of players because he would not give in to any demands and the other did not turn over players because he would.

What demands did Nick Russell, Ron Anderson, Fred Brown, Freddy Asprilla, etc make?  Elite coaches find ways to balance egos while maintaining control.  I wish we could have one of those.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »

What demands did Nick Russell, Ron Anderson, Fred Brown, Freddy Asprilla, etc make?  Elite coaches find ways to balance egos while maintaining control.  I wish we could have one of those.

When did this turn into the official "state your bitch" thread?

Mods?

catzacker

« Reply #2096 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »

it would have only been a good attribute if he replaced those frank'd players with better players.  that was one of my biggest complaints about frank:  if you're going to fill your class(es) with top 100-200 players, then they HAVE to stick around to reap the benefit.  It becomes, in the long term, unsustainable. 

my complaints about the '13 class have nothing to do with the person who recruited them. although I'm sure some posters will try to frame it that way.  And when I say some, I mean clams. 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »

it would have only been a good attribute if he replaced those frank'd players with better players.  that was one of my biggest complaints about frank:  if you're going to fill your class(es) with top 100-200 players, then they HAVE to stick around to reap the benefit.  It becomes, in the long term, unsustainable. 

my complaints about the '13 class have nothing to do with the person who recruited them. although I'm sure some posters will try to frame it that way.  And when I say some, I mean clams.

You had to have seen this "adequate"(my words) or "average"(your words) class coming when our staff was assembled.

No package deal, no direct AAU connection. It was going to be damn near impossible to land high level kids for '13 and, holy crap, it didn't happen. That doesn't mean any of our committed recruits won't end up being very good players. I beleive we did about as good as we could with what we had given the circumstances. Would really like to see us build on it for the future.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: September 20, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »

no clue why those other guys left. agree that it would be great to have balance.

frank seemed to be at one end of the spectrum while oscar appears to be on the complete opposite end. if everyone in this class and last years class stick around (and i have no reason to believe that they won't) it will be interesting to see how good the team is in four and five years. because for all the bad recruiting and running off of players and other things that we like to bitch about, frank had a really good team set up for this year. will be interesting to see if oscar can do the same with a "keep the players you have" style.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »

no clue why those other guys left. agree that it would be great to have balance.

frank seemed to be at one end of the spectrum while oscar appears to be on the complete opposite end. if everyone in this class and last years class stick around (and i have no reason to believe that they won't) it will be interesting to see how good the team is in four and five years. because for all the bad recruiting and running off of players and other things that we like to bitch about, frank had a really good team set up for this year. will be interesting to see if oscar can do the same with a "keep the players you have" style.

do you want to talk about the 2013 recruiting class (topic of this thread) or just continue to piss all over UW's thread  ?

:lol: