Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 976932 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1950 on: September 12, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »
So, who is our best option left on the table at this point.

Foster's AAU teammate, Jeffrey Carroll?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansasstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Jeffrey-Carroll-121993

The only problem I see, is they look like the same Nick Russellish player.  Good shooting stroke, not very physical or athletic.

In terms of style of play, neither Foster nor Carroll is really similar to Nick Russell. Russell was/is a lanky 6'4" whose strengths were facilitating and playmaking. Not that he wasn't a decent shooter and he still might end up being a very good one at SMU but honestly his offensive skills were probably best suited to play PG but his lack of quickness/footspeed made it difficult for him to guard opposing PG's.

First and foremost, Foster is a scorer and he can do that by draining jumpers from deep, from mid-range and he has the athleticism to take it strong to the rim and finish. While he can knock bunches of perimeter shots in a hurry, he is more of a scorer than shooter at this point. He's better suited for the 2 than the 1 at this point. It's really his ballhandling, passing, and playmaking skills that he needs to improve in order to see any time at the 1.

Watching Carroll's highlight vids, I was actually fairly impressed with his athleticism but, again, he does not appear to be a standout ballhandler or passer. I like his jumpshot from mid-range. I think he really needs to put on some solid weight but I think his length and athleticism will allow him to compete in high major ball and I think that's why he's received so many offers.

So in summary

Russell --> Lanky playmaker with enough scoring to keep defenses honest but not overwhelming athleticism

Foster --> Physical scorer who needs to work on his playmaking skills

Carroll --> Long, athletic wing with nice shot but still could use some improvement there

This does not guarantee Foster and Carroll having more success than Russell at KSU, but stylistically, none are really that similar.

I like Westicles.  I think he's really inter-changable with Carroll, IMO.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:04 AM »
we need another big

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing us locking up Atewe in the near future. Sounds like at the very least he can provide a physical, shot blocking presence.

Demetrius Henry's athleticism and offensive ability looks pretty intriguing but he's said he wants to sign late and I'm not sure if we can wait on him, or if we could even land him if we did.

his visit is this weekend, i really think we need to sign him

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: September 12, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »

Alex Etherington mix tape.

More Etherington highlights.

That kid can jump.  The dunk at 1:20 was pretty "Wow".

He looks much smoother in this video, which I presume is a lot of footage from the summer circuit.  He slashes well and seems decisive when he gets the ball.

I'm still shaky on him, though, and probably unfairly so.

I can't blame you for not being sold on Etherington, some reputable folks who have seen him play are really high on him and think he is skilled enough to become a scoring threat at KSU. On the other hand, some of the recruiting services are pretty "meh" on him(ESPN rates him as a 2* "64") and think he's got "career reserve" at KSU written all over him. I think a lot of it boils down to how well he can develop his perimeter skills, we see him making outside shots in those videos(and his shot looks decent) but you can't tell how consistent of a shooter he is from those. We know he can jump out of the gym but is he going to be quick enough to beat people off the dribble at the high major level?

Pasted below are some rankings for the state of IN that were updated after the summer eval period. They have him ranked 10th in '13, the other guys ranked in that range are on that 3*/2*  fringe. FWIW, they have PG Jalen James ranked 8th, the former Illinois commit, they don't list KSU as recruiting him in this update but I have seen KSU mentioned in connection with him fairly recently, but no offer.

"10.  Alex Etherington:  6’6” Small Forward, Hamilton Heights H.S.

Committed:  Kansas State University

He is a long and athletic wing with the prototypical body type to play the 3 spot. He doesn’t mind slashing to the basket and scoring down low, and is also a pretty solid rebounder.  Good outside shooter, but most effective when using his strength to get to the rim.  Alex had a great start to the AAU circuit before slowing down a bit towards the end.  Still, his ceiling is very high and his aggressive on the court has really been paying off."

http://indianarecruitingguide.com/prospect-rankings/class-of-2013/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1953 on: September 12, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »
Kansas State & Providence offered 2013 Brewster (NH) SG Ron Patterson - a former Indiana signee - his coach announced.

Via Kline

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
Patterson really sounds like more of a candidate to be a 2/3 wing than a 2/1 combo guard. It sounds like he's also received interest from Illinois, Marquette, Cincy, Virginia Tech, Ball State, and Cleveland State since reclassing to '13.

It's over 1 year old but still a pretty informative scouting report on Patterson from the Indiana Rivals site, done in 5/11. FWIW, Patterson played AAU ball in the same organization that Etherington did, Indiana Elite:

"Ron Patterson - the 6-foot-3 shooting guard dropped further than all in the Rivals150, down to #115. He was #65 during the summer last year and a bit lower than that through the winter. It should probably be noted that he's higher ranked by Rivals competitors---top 100 everywhere else. Two things are holding Patterson back in the rankings and it's not news to anyone -- he's not quite as tall as you'd like in a wing and his ball handling is a weakness. The latter is really the biggest issue for him. He could actually be a pretty good point if he could improve his handle, he has nice passing instincts as it is today. And nobody, I mean nobody guards a point like Ron can when he sets his mind to it. Ask Marcus Paige, the UNC point guard commit. Patterson stripped him twice within a minute or two when Indiana Elite played Paige's All Iowa Attack team in the Run-n-Slam semis. Same lesson was learned at the AMC by Demetrius Floyd even though his Baylor LNO team pulled the upset of Indiana Elite.

One improvement Patterson needs to make is a little better channeling of his emotions. I have a son with the same issue and many of you have it -- tendency to bottle everything up and then have it show in a temper fit. This might mean an unneeded tech or as in the case for Patterson at the AMC, storming off the court before shaking hands with the opponent and consoling teammates. Learning to let things go without becoming to unemotional -- fine line there that hopefully he'll find soon. At the same it's great that he's competitive and really cares--again find the fine line.

Patterson reportedly played well out in Denver at the Double Pump event there in late April. But that wasn't see by the scouts or the web sites. Besides his uniquely quick hands and feet, the best thing Patterson has going for him is a pretty smooth jump shot.

From what Indiana Elite people tell us, Patterson is going to move to the Indiana Elite One squad. That's another 17 & under team under the same organization. For the most part it's the same guys he's played with in past summers, so he's familiar with the players and the coaches. The Indiana Elite team with all the five recruits was kind of thrown together just for this offseason and it's probably unrealistic to think things would go smoothly.

As far as the rankings go, a guy who can defend and shoot like Ron Patterson should be in the top 100. The ball handling issue is why he's probably not a top 50 prospect right now but that's probably as far as maybe you should be penalized for that weakness."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/indiana/basketball/recruiting/player-Ron-Patterson-92215

Offline GetVocalwithCurt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
The good thing about Indiana high school basketball players is that they all tend to be pretty good at the next level, even if they are rated as 2 or 3 star guys. Brandon Wood, who played at Michigan St. his senior year was the 18th best player in the state in the 2007 class.
"I'll be back"
-Curtis Kelly

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: September 12, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
The good thing about Indiana high school basketball players is that they all tend to be pretty good at the next level, even if they are rated as 2 or 3 star guys. Brandon Wood, who played at Michigan St. his senior year was the 18th best player in the state in the 2007 class.

I am hoping for a Brady Morningstar.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
Atewe visiting this weekend(along w/Etherington), worthy of a bump.

Quote from: TheRecruitScoop
Kansas State is now expressing interest in 2013 PF Matthew Atewe of the Northern Kings (CAN).

Not rated. Sounds about right.

"Team Canada had many familiar names in the Nike Global Challenge that coaches are very familiar with. One player coaches got a chance to see that they might not have known a lot about was Matt Etewe, a 6-foot-9 C/PF in the Class of 2013. Etewe will spend next season at Notre Dame Prep and is a member of the 2013 recruiting class.

Etewe definitely looks the part of an athletic post player and his recruitment will be one to track into the fall. Schools are becoming more and more familiar with him and his recruiting list is just beginning to formulate.

“Auburn, Purdue, USC, Marquette, Illinois, St. Bonaventure, and a lot of others,” Etewe told NBE when asked about his recruitment."

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0717/july-evaluation-period-recruiting-notebook-part-i/

From Kline, we've offered this kid now, 5th ranked prospect in state of MA for Class of '13.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/massachusetts.php

Couple vids with him while he was playing at a prep school in his native Canada a couple seasons ago.

You can start around 3:20 on this one.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
Atewe is now the 4th ranked prospect in MA for '13.  :gocho: He's now reporting offers from Memphis, Marquette, Kansas State, Dayton, Nevada, Saint Bonaventure, Marshall, Charlotte, and S. Miss. Also had recent interest from Purdue, Illinois, and Butler.

Sorta interesting recent update from Dayton site on Atewe linked below.

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21459

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: September 13, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
oscar weber is basically an older, classier, less sleezy version of john calipari.  feels good guys.   :cool:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: September 14, 2012, 06:52:07 AM »
oscar weber is basically an older, classier, less sleezy version of john calipari.  feels good guys.   :cool:
So is almost everyone that is a day older than John Calipari.  If he were more sleazy, I'd be on board.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: September 14, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »

Kansas State is now expressing interest in 2013 PF Matthew Atewe of the Northern Kings (CAN).

"Team Canada had many familiar names in the Nike Global Challenge that coaches are very familiar with. One player coaches got a chance to see that they might not have known a lot about was Matt Etewe, a 6-foot-9 C/PF in the Class of 2013. Etewe will spend next season at Notre Dame Prep and is a member of the 2013 recruiting class.

Etewe definitely looks the part of an athletic post player and his recruitment will be one to track into the fall. Schools are becoming more and more familiar with him and his recruiting list is just beginning to formulate.

“Auburn, Purdue, USC, Marquette, Illinois, St. Bonaventure, and a lot of others,” Etewe told NBE when asked about his recruitment."

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0717/july-evaluation-period-recruiting-notebook-part-i/

From Kline, we've offered this kid now, 5th ranked prospect in state of MA for Class of '13.

Couple vids with him while he was playing at a prep school in his native Canada a couple seasons ago.

we need another big

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing us locking up Atewe in the near future. Sounds like at the very least he can provide a physical, shot blocking presence.

Demetrius Henry's athleticism and offensive ability looks pretty intriguing but he's said he wants to sign late and I'm not sure if we can wait on him, or if we could even land him if we did.

good god UW,  :shakesfist: 

j/k - knew this would be the only time i could pull that card on your in this thread

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »

we need another big

good god UW,  :shakesfist: 

j/k - knew this would be the only time i could pull that card on your in this thread

Clams, I wasn't trying to ignore you pointing out that Matt "The shot blocking sensation Big" Atewe is visiting this weekend, I was just intending for the bump to serve as sort of a PSA/weekend primer, so people can recognize him and be all up to date on KSU Cat hoops recruiting and stuff. Hope it works.  :crossfingers:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: September 14, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »
damn. i thought you luke'd me. 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: September 14, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
This kinda got lost in the shuffle, but Kline reported late last week that Atewe would be visiting KSU the weekend of 9/15. Another recent update linked below.

http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=4461

I'm just glad you remembered.

I hope we can land him, I really don't want him to wait until late to sign. C'mon Chester!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
ya this one is all on chet, i think he has it in him.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: September 14, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
Eff is atwe going to pass clearing house??
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20165079/ncaa-denies-eligibility-to-myles-davis-and-sam-cassells-kid-

Eff, the NCAA blows.  :flush:

Welp, at least Atewe knows what classes NOT  to take this year, and if he's already taken 1 of them, he can try to replace it.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: September 14, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »
Updated

Known Big options still on the table for this class are Atewe, Henry, V. Brown, H. Martin, Gavin Schilling(sounds like a longshot) and maybe Marquise Pryor and Fallou Ndoye.

Akoy Agau and Joel Embid are a couple other bigs KSU has been in contact with but I don't think the odds are high that KSU can land them.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: September 14, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »
Updated

Known Big options still on the table for this class are Atewe, Henry, V. Brown, H. Martin, Gavin Schilling(sounds like a longshot) and maybe Marquise Pryor and Fallou Ndoye.

Akoy Agau and Joel Embid are a couple other bigs KSU has been in contact with but I don't think the odds are high that KSU can land them.

Atwe is becoming seriously close to a must land.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »

i'm not sure it's reasonable to expect the staff to land a 5th consecutive unranked recruit.  god willing, though.   :crossfingers:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: September 14, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »

i'm not sure it's reasonable to expect the staff to land a 5th consecutive unranked recruit.  god willing, though.   :crossfingers:

Yeah, too bad we don't have the recruiting tour de force that is frank martin.    :flush:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: September 14, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »
Yeah, too bad we don't have the recruiting tour de force that is frank martin.    :flush:

ranked recruit after ranked recruit.  tourney win after tourney win.  thank god all that is behind you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1974 on: September 15, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »

Yeah, Frank's recruiting wasn't great. Thank God weber's is worse.  Wait. . .was that the point you were making?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2