Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 981080 times)

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1750 on: August 16, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
From @Northstarbball, Henry has added West Virginia to his already impressive offer list that includes KSU, South Carolina, Memphis, Miami, USC, Mississippi State, USF, Illinois, and Cincinnati.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 17, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
What's the story on this Foster dude.

Good, sucks?  Apparently, it's down to us and Creighton (which it sounds like is going to start being par for the course for the Bruceketball era).

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
If we lose recruits to Creighton, can we burn it down?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 17, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »

Good, sucks?  Apparently, it's down to us and Creighton (which it sounds like is going to start being par for the course for the Bruceketball era).

My impression is that he's fairly under the radar and could be pretty darn solid. His skills are best suited for the 2 at this time, is considered to be a combo guard as he can play some point but his handle and decision making need to improve to be considered a full time option there.  NBE hoops recently ranked him #122 in their Top 125 for '13, which was posted in this thread a few days ago. There's been several reports over from the last few months from tournaments talking about his ability to score proficiently,(24 PPG in HS ball) both knocking down deep jumpers and getting to the rim off the dribble.

Probably the most impressive thing I've read about him was from his AAU coach from the Dallas Mustangs, Gerald Booker. AAU coaches are notorious for pumping their prospects up beyond belief, but on a team that featured 5 other high major prospects - Leyton Hammonds(Oklahoma St), Nate Hawkins(Nebraska), Zach Coleman(Missouri), Jeff Carroll, and Soma Edo - Booker pointed to Foster as the guy he wanted to have the ball when they needed a bucket in crunch time:

"Marcus Foster has the ability to score against anyone in the country. He works hard to get open and is really good at keeping the defense off balance. When the game is on the line, Marcus is our go to guy. He is very explosive and hard to guard."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1386282

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Sounds like Foster and Carroll will both be visiting KSU weekend of Miami game, will take.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:09 PM »
Foster is a warrior, a tough guy and fearless. That is all that matters!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »

My impression is that he's fairly under the radar and could be pretty darn solid. His skills are best suited for the 2 at this time, is considered to be a combo guard as he can play some point but his handle and decision making need to improve to be considered a full time option there.  NBE hoops recently ranked him #122 in their Top 125 for '13, which was posted in this thread a few days ago. There's been several reports over from the last few months from tournaments talking about his ability to score proficiently,(24 PPG in HS ball) both knocking down deep jumpers and getting to the rim off the dribble.

Probably the most impressive thing I've read about him was from his AAU coach from the Dallas Mustangs, Gerald Booker. AAU coaches are notorious for pumping their prospects up beyond belief, but on a team that featured 5 other high major prospects - Leyton Hammonds(Oklahoma St), Nate Hawkins(Nebraska), Zach Coleman(Missouri), Jeff Carroll, and Soma Edo - Booker pointed to Foster as the guy he wanted to have the ball when they needed a bucket in crunch time:

"Marcus Foster has the ability to score against anyone in the country. He works hard to get open and is really good at keeping the defense off balance. When the game is on the line, Marcus is our go to guy. He is very explosive and hard to guard."

great stuff UW

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

great stuff UW

:thumbs:

Offline TheTastyGreek

• Mean Green'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gomeangreen.com
« Reply #1758 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
Marcus Foster would be a very, very nice pickup for you guys. We were in on him for a long time, and things looked promising until Johnny Jones and Shawn Forrest got hired by LSU.

Foster took a couple of unofficials to North Texas last year, and I've seen him at a few AAU events around DFW. He's definitely power conference good.

Edited to add: The only reason you could consider him under the radar (sounded strange to me, because we've been chasing him for 2+ years) is that he's only 6'1". Still worth getting, if you can land him.

Offline TheTastyGreek

• Mean Green'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gomeangreen.com
« Reply #1759 on: August 18, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
If we lose recruits to Creighton, can we burn it down?

If you lose Dallas area recruits to Creighton, you're just like everyone else.

Steve Lutz used to work around here, and he's the assistant that has them pulling 3 and 4 star talent from the Metroplex on an annual basis. After we lost Shawn Forrest, we seem to have lost all local momentum (Forrest was one of the few guys who was on Lutz's level in recruiting DFW kids) and all our 2013 verbals are national rather than area recruits.

There are a lot of major conference school fans that have been scratching their heads about why they lost Player X to Creighton during the past 2-3 years. I don't know if Lutz can edge or trim hedges while Weber mows, but if he can... He'd definitely be one to target as a future assistant. I'd have been happy with him as our new HC, and I'm hoping he's on the radar in case we lose Benford after this year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1760 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:07 AM »
Good stuff, thanks TTG

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1761 on: August 18, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »
Sounds like Foster and Carroll will both be visiting KSU weekend of Miami game, will take.

Recent Carroll highlight vid. 

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »
Keep in mind these games(Battle of the Boroughs) were played in a semi-playground setting, so free paths to the rim are a little more common in that setting than in structured ball but it still sounds like Martin dominated the paint during that tourney:

"Hassan Martin put on an above the rim show for Harlem as he scored 18 points and helped Harlem advance to the championship game in the Battle of the Boroughs. There was one sequence when Martin dunked on back to back plays. It showed just how explosive and tenacious the 6-7 Martin can be when he is on the court. He wasn't the only player attacking the basket from above. Larry Beckett had his share of dunks also, and in fact the 6-7 Beckett actually led Harlem in scoring with 21 points. Both players were highly affective scoring inside the paint."

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1398367

"Probably the most outstanding player on the court in the game was on the losing side. Hassan Martin was an absolute monster in the paint the entire game. He appeared to grab every rebound in the second half. He gobbled up anything that was close to the rim, and he was able to finish and propel his team to the lead. Both Martin and fellow 6-7 forward Larry Beckett dominated the paint, scoring 20 of the 22 third quarter points that allowed Harlem to go into the last quarter with a 71-68 lead. Each player had 10. Beckett was great and was actually finishing the end of plays. Martin was just forcing his will in the paint. He opened up the scoring with a ridiculous two-handed baseline slam that showed how explosive the 6-7 senior is."

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1398587

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
From update linked below:

"According to Martin, Providence, Rhode Island, Iowa State, St. Joes, Fordham, Duquesne and Kansas State have all already made scholarship offers."

Martin tells NYC hoops reporter that he'd like to play in the Big East or Atlantic 10. *

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1398578

*I'm speculating but I imagine the intensity that KSU recruits Martin with will be largely dependent on what happens with Atewe, D. Henry, V. Brown, and possibly D. Thomas.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
From last weekend in Vegas, not bad:

"* Jordan Mathews always plays hard and his shooting keeps getting better. He hit a couple threes and long two-point jumpers in Cal Supreme’s victory over the Oakland Soldiers. "

"Jordan Mathews is looking to trim his list to five and has five standouts – USC, Indiana, Marquette, Kansas State and Gonzaga. "

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1206201.html

Recent update from Kline:

UTEP, San Diego, California, San Diego State, Wake Forest, USC, Marquette, Gonzaga, Colorado, TCU, Kansas State and VCU have all offered Mathews, whose father is an assistant coach at UCLA. Interest is also coming in from UConn, Indiana, Texas A&M and Kansas.

"Nothing is set in stone yet, but visits are being setup to California, Marquette, Gonzaga and Wake Forest," he told Rivals.com.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1398676

As Mathews himself stated, nothing is set in stone in the recruiting world, but I think a reason why KSU isn't towards the top of his for receiving a visit is Foster chopping list down to 2 and visiting KSU on 9/8. Mathews and Foster primarily project as 2 guards with the possibility of being combo guards who can really both shoot from deep and score at a high level. They both sound like solid to very good prospects but it would be doubtful if we could have room for both in this class.

Offline SoonerHoopsfan

• Land Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
Marcus Foster would be a very, very nice pickup for you guys. We were in on him for a long time, and things looked promising until Johnny Jones and Shawn Forrest got hired by LSU.

Foster took a couple of unofficials to North Texas last year, and I've seen him at a few AAU events around DFW. He's definitely power conference good.

Edited to add: The only reason you could consider him under the radar (sounded strange to me, because we've been chasing him for 2+ years) is that he's only 6'1". Still worth getting, if you can land him.
Foster is getting closer to 6'3 though, plus he plays on a deep AAU team.  Really has hampered his recruiting buzz for my money.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
Ron Patterson (6'3" SG) doesn't get in to Indiana, was supposedly still eligible at most other DI schools for '12, still decides to reclass to '13(going to Brewster Academy in NH). Already hearing from Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Ball State, Cleveland State, and Illinois as '13 prospect.

Link is free.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1213353.html

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
At this time, it does not sound like Indiana is going to be re-recruiting Patterson for '13. In addition to the schools mentioned above, Patterson is also hearing from Marquette, Cincinnati and Providence.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 21, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »
It's over 1 year old but still a pretty informative scouting report on Patterson from the Indiana Rivals site, done in 5/11. FWIW, Patterson played AAU ball in the same organization that Etherington did, Indiana Elite:

"Ron Patterson - the 6-foot-3 shooting guard dropped further than all in the Rivals150, down to #115. He was #65 during the summer last year and a bit lower than that through the winter. It should probably be noted that he's higher ranked by Rivals competitors---top 100 everywhere else. Two things are holding Patterson back in the rankings and it's not news to anyone -- he's not quite as tall as you'd like in a wing and his ball handling is a weakness. The latter is really the biggest issue for him. He could actually be a pretty good point if he could improve his handle, he has nice passing instincts as it is today. And nobody, I mean nobody guards a point like Ron can when he sets his mind to it. Ask Marcus Paige, the UNC point guard commit. Patterson stripped him twice within a minute or two when Indiana Elite played Paige's All Iowa Attack team in the Run-n-Slam semis. Same lesson was learned at the AMC by Demetrius Floyd even though his Baylor LNO team pulled the upset of Indiana Elite.

One improvement Patterson needs to make is a little better channeling of his emotions. I have a son with the same issue and many of you have it -- tendency to bottle everything up and then have it show in a temper fit. This might mean an unneeded tech or as in the case for Patterson at the AMC, storming off the court before shaking hands with the opponent and consoling teammates. Learning to let things go without becoming to unemotional -- fine line there that hopefully he'll find soon. At the same it's great that he's competitive and really cares--again find the fine line.

Patterson reportedly played well out in Denver at the Double Pump event there in late April. But that wasn't see by the scouts or the web sites. Besides his uniquely quick hands and feet, the best thing Patterson has going for him is a pretty smooth jump shot.

From what Indiana Elite people tell us, Patterson is going to move to the Indiana Elite One squad. That's another 17 & under team under the same organization. For the most part it's the same guys he's played with in past summers, so he's familiar with the players and the coaches. The Indiana Elite team with all the five recruits was kind of thrown together just for this offseason and it's probably unrealistic to think things would go smoothly.

As far as the rankings go, a guy who can defend and shoot like Ron Patterson should be in the top 100. The ball handling issue is why he's probably not a top 50 prospect right now but that's probably as far as maybe you should be penalized for that weakness."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/indiana/basketball/recruiting/player-Ron-Patterson-92215

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
This kinda got lost in the shuffle, but Kline reported late last week that Atewe would be visiting KSU the weekend of 9/15. Another recent update linked below.

http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=4461

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
Bossi
Kansas small forward Semi Ojeleye tells me that he's down to Duke, Indiana, Oregon and Stanford. Visits not set yet. Full story in A.M.

Oregon are you efffing me, HOW?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »
Bossi
Kansas small forward Semi Ojeleye tells me that he's down to Duke, Indiana, Oregon and Stanford. Visits not set yet. Full story in A.M.

They have money. I told you fools to give up hope a long time ago. Safe yourself the heartache.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
Bossi

Frank turned them down, can you believe that? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
Well, MOKAN's a Nike team.  I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »
A blast from the past, Thanks Pete.

This was PM'd to me...

Had a chance to ref Semi Ojeleye on thursday and all I can say is WOW! This kid is a freshman who WILL BE a top 15 national player. He has a completely different set of skill level than Victor. They probably had six dunks in the game on Alley opp passes and breakaways. Tough defender and tremendous strength. Mid range jumper and unbelievable ups. Ottawa also has a kid who is going to Barton next year. He had five 3's and could score at will. IF they don't win 4A I will be shocked. They have a complete team with guard play as well. The Barton kid had four dunks and Semi had two. Talked to some people who said that Semi will probably stay at least one more year at Ottawa. But they didn't know for sure. That was their opinion not one of the coaching staff. Nothing concrete. I know Frank and staff probably have the fullcourt press on him now. We have to get this kid. WE should have the inside track I would think. I sat by Semi and his mom at the IUPUI game and had a good convo with them after the game. They seem to really love KSU. This is one kid I wouldn't mind offering as a Soph!