Author Topic: 2013 Recruiting Thread  (Read 981179 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1025 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
it wouldn't change crap for me.  i'm not going to be a kstate fan until currie and weber are gone.  in the end, emaw will always win.

Yep. The fact that he had 8 top 100 kids on his roster this year and still got fired shows he is a poor recruiter. Part of recruiting is evaluation and getting players that fit what you want to do, both from a skill perspective and personality perspective. Additionally, all but ONE of those top 100 players were from Illinois, so color me completely unimpressed.

Really?

Yes. you disagree?

I see your point, but it's a little funny you have to put multiple qualifiers on Weber's Top 100 recruits.

I really didn't need to, his record with them says a lot more than I could have.

I agree, but this isn't consistent with what you've always said about recruiting. The last four years Weber recruited well and at least he's leaving Illinois with multiple Top 100 players on the roster. He may not repeat that here, but even if he can keep some ties it's possible that when Weber fails he could leave his replacement with more Top 100 talent than Frank left him. It's not like we complained that most of our Top 100 players were from DC when we got them, do I don't get the big deal about them being from Illinois.

Look, I've laid out plenty of legit concerns for Weber, I just don't see "really bad recruiting" being one of them.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1026 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
My thought is that most of the recruiting has been connected to Howard and when the recruits came reinforce that. He's not here. Not saying he can't recruit, but I don't have a reason to believe he can.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
it wouldn't change crap for me.  i'm not going to be a kstate fan until currie and weber are gone.  in the end, emaw will always win.

Yep. The fact that he had 8 top 100 kids on his roster this year and still got fired shows he is a poor recruiter. Part of recruiting is evaluation and getting players that fit what you want to do, both from a skill perspective and personality perspective. Additionally, all but ONE of those top 100 players were from Illinois, so color me completely unimpressed.

Really?

Yes. you disagree?

I see your point, but it's a little funny you have to put multiple qualifiers on Weber's Top 100 recruits.

I really didn't need to, his record with them says a lot more than I could have.

I agree, but this isn't consistent with what you've always said about recruiting. The last four years Weber recruited well and at least he's leaving Illinois with multiple Top 100 players on the roster. He may not repeat that here, but even if he can keep some ties it's possible that when Weber fails he could leave his replacement with more Top 100 talent than Frank left him. It's not like we complained that most of our Top 100 players were from DC when we got them, do I don't get the big deal about them being from Illinois.

Look, I've laid out plenty of legit concerns for Weber, I just don't see "really bad recruiting" being one of them.

First of all, I never said he would be "really bad at recruiting", but I don't think it's good enough that we should be comfortable with it. And I guess I've been inconsistent regarding recruiting for a long time - it's not been just about stars for quite a while with me. For example, I believe Angel is an example of outstanding recruiting, even though he wasn't a 4 star. I've said Snyder was recruiting horribly after 1999 even though he had lots of four and five star recruits.

Also, I completely discredited Frank's DC recruits after the pipeline was over.

catzacker

« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »
i don't think I'm too far off when I say that oscar's "resurgence" in recruiting was strictly due to Jerrance Howard.  W/out howard, oscar's recruiting was terrible.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
i don't think I'm too far off when I say that oscar's "resurgence" in recruiting was strictly due to Jerrance Howard.  W/out howard, oscar's recruiting was terrible.

oscar recruited howard

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 03, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »
i don't think I'm too far off when I say that oscar's Frank's "resurgence" in recruiting was strictly due to Jerrance Howard Dalonte Hill.  W/out howard Dalonte, oscar's Frank's recruiting was terrible.

Weber may be terrible.  He may not get the same results from average talent that Frank got.  Frank's signature.  But, let's call a spade a spade.  Frank's recruiting was not on par with a top 25-35 program without Dalonte.  Frank landed Robert Upshaw.  The single remarkable recruiting achievement in the post-dalonte era. 

Other notables:  Gipson (3* #147), Diaz (3* 148), Rodriguez (3* NR).

Moral of the story, coaches need recruiters on staff.  Frank didn't have one at the end.  Weber had better have one or his time here will be short.  Pretty simple.   

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 03, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »

oscar recruited howard

howard was a former illinois player. just sayin. i mean, as long as the illinois AD didn't offer howard a lot of money to come back to illinois to only pull the offer and substitute it with a much lesser offer at the last second then getting howard to come back shouldn't have been too hard.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:40:10 AM by rick daris »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »

oscar recruited howard

howard was a former illinois player. just sayin. i mean, as long as the illinois AD didn't offer howard a lot of money to come back to illinois to only pull the offer and substitute it with a much lesser offer at the last second then getting howard to come back shouldn't have been too hard.

oscar recognized howard's value to the program

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 03, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
Jabari Parker, a 6-foot-8 forward, had a relationship with former Illinois coach oscar Weber dating to when Parker attended Illinois' basketball camps in grade school, and the Illini were involved in Parker's recruitment.

Yeah I wish.

So he watched oscar destroy the local school firsthand?

5 ways John Groce could revive Illinois basketball program

1. Hire Sonny Parker as an assistant coach/director of basketball operations. A former NBA player, the father of Simeon superstar Jabari Parker is as qualified as Alaska prep coach Ronnie Chalmers was when he was hired by Self as ‘‘Director of Basketball Operations’’ in 2005 — three months before his son Mario began his freshman season at Kansas. (Ronnie Chalmers left Kansas ‘‘to pursue other interests’’ five months after Mario Chalmers left Kansas for the NBA in 2008 — just as Ed Manning left Kansas months after Danny Manning in 1988; and Lafayette Norwood left Kansas months after Darnell Valentine in 1981.)

Hire 'em up oscar!   :excited:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 04, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »
i don't think I'm too far off when I say that oscar's Frank's "resurgence" in recruiting was strictly due to Jerrance Howard Dalonte Hill.  W/out howard Dalonte, oscar's Frank's recruiting was terrible.

Weber may be terrible.  He may not get the same results from average talent that Frank got.  Frank's signature.  But, let's call a spade a spade.  Frank's recruiting was not on par with a top 25-35 program without Dalonte.  Frank landed Robert Upshaw.  The single remarkable recruiting achievement in the post-dalonte era. 

Moral of the story, coaches need recruiters on staff.  Frank didn't have one at the end.  Weber had better have one or his time here will be short.  Pretty simple.   

Frank did at the end and always has (obvious exceptions are the spring recruits) gotten players that fit what he wants for his program and just didn't collect stars.  I thought rusty did a beautiful job of conveying this, did you read it?  Dax liked to call them right fitters, whatever but oscar Weber at Illinois is the perfect example that fit is very important.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: April 04, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Jabari Parker, a 6-foot-8 forward, had a relationship with former Illinois coach oscar Weber dating to when Parker attended Illinois' basketball camps in grade school, and the Illini were involved in Parker's recruitment.

Yeah I wish.

I don't know if we'll land him, but I bet he'll talk to Weber, probably even visit.

"I was very disappointed," Parker said after Simeon advanced to the state semifinals Tuesday. "That was a person who first recruited me growing up. I feel like if the (new) coach there tried to recruit me (we) wouldn't have a better relationship than (Weber and I) had. That really plays a key."

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »

Frank did at the end and always has (obvious exceptions are the spring recruits) gotten players that fit what he wants for his program and just didn't collect stars.  I thought rusty did a beautiful job of conveying this, did you read it?  Dax liked to call them right fitters, whatever but oscar Weber at Illinois is the perfect example that fit is very important.

Ah, the "stars don't matter" argument. Badge worn proudly by tucks all across Kansas. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

Ah, the "stars don't matter" argument. Badge worn proudly by tucks all across Kansas.

That wasn't his argument at all.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »
Jabari Parker is the best player regardless of class. IMO. Dude is the complete package.

Honestly. What are the chances? Connections... Will he even consider us? I can imagine he would if Jerrance makes his way to manhattan.
EMAW

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 05, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
Meanstreets!

"ALVIN ELLIS had a monster 42-point performance, but it still wasn’t enough as De La Salle fell 79-63 to Bogan in the Class 4A Mt. Carmel Regional championship on Friday. Ellis’ previous career high had been 24 points; he almost matched that with 19 points alone in the fourth quarter. Ellis, a 6-foot-5 junior forward, has an offer from Northwestern and lots of Big Ten interest."

http://www.illinihq.com/blogs/recruiting-wrap/2012-03/weekend-wrap-okafors-big-night-leads-young-regional-crown.html

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 05, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
So, umm, I guess this dude has already visited KSU??? We're all about timely scoops here(For those of you who may not be aware, Meanstreets is the Chicago based AAU club that Pullen ran with):

"Ellis has visited Kansas State in the past and likes what they have to offer.

“I have been down there and watched Jacob Pullen play.  I like their stadium and atmosphere.  The student section is crazy.”
These are his second and third scholarship offers after receiving one from Northwestern.  Ellis will be playing with Meanstreets 17U this spring and summer."

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1695:alvin-ellis-adds-kansas-state-wichita-state-offers&catid=34:recruiting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »
So, umm, I guess this dude has already visited KSU??? We're all about timely scoops here(For those of you who may not be aware, Meanstreets is the Chicago based AAU club that Pullen ran with):

“I have been down there and watched Jacob Pullen play.  I like their stadium and atmosphere.  The student section is crazy.”
These are his second and third scholarship offers after receiving one from Northwestern.  Ellis will be playing with Meanstreets 17U this spring and summer."

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1695:alvin-ellis-adds-kansas-state-wichita-state-offers&catid=34:recruiting

“About 10 minutes later oscar Weber called me to see how I was doing.  He wanted to put an offer on the table.  He really couldn’t offer me at Illinois because they had commitments from Malcolm Hill and Jalen James which I understood.  He said he really likes my game and the potential for me to fit in with their program.  He said I would be replacing Rodney McGruder and could fit in at his spot.  I was really surprised.  I didn’t know oscar was that interested in me.  I didn’t know the number when it popped up on my phone!”

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
2013 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1043 on: April 05, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »
Whatever your thoughts are on this hire...new coach recruiting is a blast

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

I REMEMBER WHEN TAI STREETS VISITED! :sdeek:

Meanwhile Frank is scouring the juco tourney for the next Andre Gilbert. :lol:

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 05, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
Semi update, from Illinois site of all places:

"I've been following Illinois. I was recruited a little bit before the coaching staff left, I think it was Coach (Jay) Price, and I'm looking at them a little bit now. They're picking up my recruitment more now. I've liked the program for a while and what they've done in the past. Not this past season, of course."

"UCLA, Kansas State, Wisconsin, Oregon, Oregon State. Those are a few of the ones that come to mind right now."

http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/1174683.html

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 05, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
I think our mention got louder

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 05, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
OMG you guys  :D

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 05, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
BOSSI!

I would expect oscar Weber and Chris Lowery to hit Kansas City the first day they can be on the road (Thursday I think). Clayton Custer and Semi Ojeleye are priorities for them to see and I think that they'll also try to stop by and see 6-foot-8 power forward Tory Miller (2013) at Lee's Summit North.

People close to Laimonas Chatkevicius say that nothing has been decided regarding his status yet. K-State will be happy to keep him on if he wants to stay, but he's significantly linked to Underwood and my personal opinion is that he will end up asking for a scholarship release.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cats try and get in on Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz but it may be too late for that with him already setting up visits.

Bossi has his ear to the ground, Weber at Lee's Summit North to check on Miller, looks like he was previously recruiting him at Illinois. We'll see how KSU's foray at PNR works this time:

"#50  Tory Miller  C  6’8  (2013) – Tory Miller is a big, physical post player for the Lee’s Summit North Broncos.  Tory has good moves on the low post but needs to work on putting moves together.  With his big body he can maneuver around smaller high school players; however, at the college level he will need to shore up his offensive game by making more than one offensive move to the basket (he still has plenty of time).  Tory does a good job rebounding the ball, and is an intimidating force down low on the defensive end.  Tory has good foot work and above average hands."

http://collegescoutingreport.blogspot.com/2011/01/tory-miller-lees-summit-north.html

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/112723/tory-miller

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Tory-Miller-114157