Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 338474 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1175 on: October 28, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »

Hopefully you all had some $GOOGL shares today and saw that nifty jump after their results and buyback program release  :kstategrad:
if you've owned it for longer than like a week and less than 3 months, you are still down. (Didn't look, but I bet my range is close). Need full disclosure for the noobs when you share info like this.

Gonna win 'em all!

I agree. If you're buying Google right now you're probably not a great investor though because it's at it's all time high and has been floating around the high for the last couple months. I've been holding onto my shares for a couple years now and i'm hoping that the momentum with this stock keeps up!

Hopefully you're moving up your stops pretty tight.

I usually move them once or twice per month. IMO, any more than that seems a bit excessive.

Well you should move them based on how much the stock moves.  If you're lazy just use trailing stops.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »
401k contribution limits...how does one keep themselves from going beyond the limit?  Is there an administrative function that cuts you off after you've hit that amount?  If so, does that function live with HR/payroll or the administrator of your plan?  I'm hoping it's not something I have to watch myself? 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 10, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
I believe once you hit the limit, your employee will stop withholding money from your paycheck.  What's the limit, 18k?  18.5?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 10, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
I believe once you hit the limit, your employee will stop withholding money from your paycheck.  What's the limit, 18k?  18.5?

18k in 2015 and 2016 if you're not old.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 10, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
pretty good fanning brag from emo

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #1180 on: December 10, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
I have to manage mine. You can actually invest more than the limit, the overage just goes in as after tax $ and you will still be taxed on earnings. I am in a Roth 401k, so all of my money goes in after tax, so any overage just loses the tax free growth.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 10, 2015, 11:19:20 AM »
I have to manage mine. You can actually invest more than the limit, the overage just goes in as after tax $ and you will still be taxed on earnings. I am in a Roth 401k, so all of my money goes in after tax, so any overage just loses the tax free growth.

Gonna win 'em all!

How much can you contribute to a Roth 401k per year?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 10, 2015, 11:23:17 AM »
I think it's $18k.  So like, let's say I contribute $760 per pay check, 24 times a year.  23 paychecks x $760 = $17,480.  That last paycheck, will it allow me to contribute the final $520 or just reject the whole thing completely?  Guessing it probably depends on my company's payroll software.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 10, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
I think it's $18k.  So like, let's say I contribute $760 per pay check, 24 times a year.  23 paychecks x $760 = $17,480.  That last paycheck, will it allow me to contribute the final $520 or just reject the whole thing completely?  Guessing it probably depends on my company's payroll software.

ask someone in hr

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 10, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »

Gonna win 'em all!

How much can you contribute to a Roth 401k per year?

It has the same $18k limit but the limit is cumulative between regular 401k and Roth 401k plans.

The Big Train

« Reply #1185 on: December 10, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
Who cares what the limit is, just make sure it gets 100% interest and compounds continuously, I always say

Offline TheProdigiousTalent

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 11, 2015, 02:19:34 AM »
Unless you work for a tiny company, I would be shocked if the system isn't smart enough to shrink your last contribution to hit the max.  Just imagine the hassles they would have to deal with otherwise.

This is how it has always worked for me (I front load and max out early in the year)...although my contributions are defined as a % rather than a fixed amount.  :kstategrad:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 11, 2015, 08:40:26 AM »
Mine as % as well.  I do work for a large company, but I wouldn't put any sort of excessive stupidity out of their capability.

For example, my wife recently changed jobs, and the family was on her health care plan, so we switched to mine for the balance of the year.  They have been deducting money from my pay check, but United Health Care has never sent cards, I call them and they say we are not insured. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 11, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
Mine as % as well.  I do work for a large company, but I wouldn't put any sort of excessive stupidity out of their capability.

For example, my wife recently changed jobs, and the family was on her health care plan, so we switched to mine for the balance of the year.  They have been deducting money from my pay check, but United Health Care has never sent cards, I call them and they say we are not insured.

you might want to "do a little more digging" into that sitch

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »

Ya I'm on it, thanks.

The Big Train

« Reply #1190 on: December 27, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
so are we accepting bitcoin investment advice here or what?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1191 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »

Ya I'm on it, thanks.
Did you get resolution? Sounds like a bad situation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 29, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
About to start dollar cost averaging into an index fund (probably S&P).  Too safe?  Not safe enough? 

What say YOU gE.c investing elites?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 29, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »

About to start dollar cost averaging into an index fund (probably S&P).  Too safe?  Not safe enough? 

That is the move.  You may want to pick a targeted retirement fund from vanguard as they are slightly more aggressive and have very low costs.  If that isn't an option, then just do the index.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 29, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
Have you looked at vanguards mutual fund options?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 29, 2015, 12:54:48 PM »
Damn you kat kid
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: December 29, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »

How much money are we talking about moving? If it's not very much, just put it all in now. Don't Dick around with it.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »

Ya I'm on it, thanks.
Did you get resolution? Sounds like a bad situation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, covered now.  I didn't really get an answer on what the issue was, just that it was resolved and we promptly received our cards.  I'm debating asking for a refund for the couple hundred bucks I spent while allegedly not being insured.  Probably won't though. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:38 AM »
Everyone go dig in the couch for spare change and round up what you have. Today will be a great day to get some stocks at a discounted rate!