Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 111864 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #425 on: June 19, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
Finally closing this Friday at 9am.  I have spent the better part of each one of my nights watering new sod on a 15,000 square foot lot.  It absolutely sucks.

Dr. Blumpkin are you a blumpkin doctor in New Orleans? Because you must be a gabillionaire.

Don't ever move here, you'll prolly never have a dece. yard. :frown:

I wish.  I am stuck in Ames freaking Iowa.  I am now the proud owner of 15,000 square foot yard in the land of floods and mold.  Iowa State fans are the absolute worst.  I am the only KSU fan in the neighborhood.

I bet real estate in Ames is super cheap and as a doctor of blumpkin medicine you probably have a goddamn mansion and I bet you could have a pretty great gE pak there come early September, friend.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 19, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »

Your inspector is not off the hook. If you haven't notified him or your attorney, then I don't know what you have been doing for the past 24 hours, but it had better have been PRETTY DAMNED IMPORTANT!

Gonna win 'em all!

It's all behind the walls, though.  I'm not sure if there's much I can do in that regard.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing here.
you can get your money back. I have lol'ed every time the inspector turns on the furnace and walks around the house and puts his hand in front of each vent. Well, I will no longer lol when the inspector does that.
I am not gEing, you should get a 100% refund in the least. What is the estimate to correct the problem?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:04 AM »

Your inspector is not off the hook. If you haven't notified him or your attorney, then I don't know what you have been doing for the past 24 hours, but it had better have been PRETTY DAMNED IMPORTANT!

Gonna win 'em all!

It's all behind the walls, though.  I'm not sure if there's much I can do in that regard.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing here.
you can get your money back. I have lol'ed every time the inspector turns on the furnace and walks around the house and puts his hand in front of each vent. Well, I will no longer lol when the inspector does that.
I am not gEing, you should get a 100% refund in the least. What is the estimate to correct the problem?

Gonna win 'em all!

Re-read the inspection.  It was too cold to test the AC that day, so they didn't.  Hence why nothing was found.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:31 AM »
How is the house heated?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #429 on: June 20, 2014, 05:05:35 AM »
They should have turned fan to ON to verify airflow to all rooms.

I recommend a separate hvac inspection when buying a home or an inspector that brings an HVAC contractor. My company partnered with HomeTeam inspectors.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 20, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »

Finally closing this Friday at 9am.  I have spent the better part of each one of my nights watering new sod on a 15,000 square foot lot.  It absolutely sucks.

Dr. Blumpkin are you a blumpkin doctor in New Orleans? Because you must be a gabillionaire.

Don't ever move here, you'll prolly never have a dece. yard. :frown:

I wish.  I am stuck in Ames freaking Iowa.  I am now the proud owner of 15,000 square foot yard in the land of floods and mold.  Iowa State fans are the absolute worst.  I am the only KSU fan in the neighborhood.
Camp out on that yard if it's not flooded for the KSU Cats game in Ames?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
They should have turned fan to ON to verify airflow to all rooms.

I recommend a separate hvac inspection when buying a home or an inspector that brings an HVAC contractor. My company partnered with HomeTeam inspectors.

Let this be a lesson to all of you would-be homeowners.  Sage advice right here.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
Our inspection was on a hot August day last year.  Dude even turned on the heat to verify it worked, let it run like 15 minutes.  Homeowner was pissed. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 20, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »
Our inspection was on a hot August day last year.  Dude even turned on the heat to verify it worked, let it run like 15 minutes.  Homeowner was pissed.

My guys were totally anal about the roof and mold.  Roof turned out okay, but they found mold in the basement that was resolved.

They fished out a ton of plumbing and leaking issues that we ultimately got resolved (along with the mold).  The only thing they didn't do was the HVAC, and in their defense, how many homes actually have something this glaring not addressed for 27 years?

The short history of my house is that the last owner was a single guy that bought it as a short sale five years ago.  He did a bunch of updating (master bath, kitchen, new windows, etc.), and then he turned around and tried to make a nice profit by selling and moving back to Western Kansas.  My house is pretty big (not bragging), so I'm not surprised that he completely ignored one of the smaller bedrooms.  He probably ignored pretty much everything because he apparently wasn't around much.

We had to get a plumber in today to fix a leak in the master bath.  I guess the plumbers he hired to renovate the master bath screwed something up in the drain.  It's just been a really long week for us, but hopefully, we get through this and get to doing some of the aesthetic work we've wanted to get started on.

That said, the dude also installed a brand new, $800 Bosch dishwasher in the kitchen, $600 Jenn-air convection oven, and left us with a fairly well used, stainless steel Kitchen Aid fridge that is leaking on our kitchen floor.  During the inspection, he had the water turned off to the fridge.  We figured it was a bad water line, so we had that fixed.  Turns out he probably turned off the water because the $1500 fridge he bought was leaking all over the floor.

The guy was kind of a dumbass.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »

My guys were totally anal about the roof and mold.  Roof turned out okay, but they found mold in the basement that was resolved.

They fished out a ton of plumbing and leaking issues that we ultimately got resolved (along with the mold).  The only thing they didn't do was the HVAC, and in their defense, how many homes actually have something this glaring not addressed for 27 years?

The short history of my house is that the last owner was a single guy that bought it as a short sale five years ago.  He did a bunch of updating (master bath, kitchen, new windows, etc.), and then he turned around and tried to make a nice profit by selling and moving back to Western Kansas.  My house is pretty big (not bragging), so I'm not surprised that he completely ignored one of the smaller bedrooms.  He probably ignored pretty much everything because he apparently wasn't around much.

We had to get a plumber in today to fix a leak in the master bath.  I guess the plumbers he hired to renovate the master bath screwed something up in the drain.  It's just been a really long week for us, but hopefully, we get through this and get to doing some of the aesthetic work we've wanted to get started on.

That said, the dude also installed a brand new, $800 Bosch dishwasher in the kitchen, $600 Jenn-air convection oven, and left us with a fairly well used, stainless steel Kitchen Aid fridge that is leaking on our kitchen floor.  During the inspection, he had the water turned off to the fridge.  We figured it was a bad water line, so we had that fixed.  Turns out he probably turned off the water because the $1500 fridge he bought was leaking all over the floor.

The guy was kind of a dumbass.

Panj, did you get a home warranty?  If so, they should cover most of this stuff.  Not the HVAC bedroom thing, but the rest should be covered.

Also, if he is a dumbass, check the connection to the ice maker if the fridge is leaking.  If he didn't install that correctly, that is probably what is up.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
Panj, did you get a home warranty?  If so, they should cover most of this stuff.  Not the HVAC bedroom thing, but the rest should be covered.

Also, if he is a dumbass, check the connection to the ice maker if the fridge is leaking.  If he didn't install that correctly, that is probably what is up.

Yes on home warranty; AB May was just at my house.

Turns out that after a second guy looked at everything, the duct work IS there.  Some set of previous owners (don't know which ones) installed some lights in the walls of the stairway going into the basement.  To get them to fit, they took a sledgehammer to the duct work so they could install one of the lights in the wall under the railing.  That duct that hey hammered just happened to be the one that goes to my son's room.

So, they're going to have to tear out some walls in the stairway to my basement, remove the light, and fix the duct work.  They're checking to see if this is covered in the warranty.

My wife and I are dumbfounded.  Who would do that?

Edit: Estimate came back to fix.  Since it was a crappy modification by idiot previous owner and not a true HVAC deficiency, we pay $950 to fix.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:47:23 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »
Panj, if you cut out the drywall with , turn off light breaker, cut light out, then wire nut the wire back together(code would say put it in a box, but you don't have to since it's your house), then call the HVAC guy in to repair the duct, you could probably save half that at least.  Then either put a piece of drywall up and mud it yourself(super easy) or pay some handyman in your neighbor hood to do that for like $150.

The part I just described for you to do would take longer to go to home depot and buy the wire nuts, saw, etc, than it would for you to actually execute.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 24, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »
just put an offer on a brand new house :woot:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 24, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »
just put an offer on a brand new house :woot:

Puny yard?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 24, 2014, 01:45:50 PM »
:frown:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 24, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
Sorry, that was uncalled for.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 24, 2014, 02:55:08 PM »
currently under contract, inspection tonite  :crossfingers:
emaw

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 24, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »

check the vents bro

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »

check the vents bro

I'm really excited to meet the inspector and be like hey inspector I'm gfa, it's nice to meet you and then when he's like nice to meet you too I'll just blurt out "SO DID YOU CHECK THE VENTS YET"
emaw

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 24, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
keep this thread open as you follow him around

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 24, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »
make sure your inspector pulls the serial numbers of the appliances and checks for recalls. had a buddy whose dishwasher was recalled before they bought the house and never repaired that caught on fire.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »

make sure your inspector pulls the serial numbers of the appliances and checks for recalls. had a buddy whose dishwasher was recalled before they bought the house and never repaired that caught on fire.

Do I need to do this even if the house is all new construction?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 24, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
Hmm prolly not. But maybe. New products get recalled too.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 24, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »
Should I buy a house?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile