Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4106618 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34825 on: January 09, 2023, 11:33:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/dwil/status/1612598982705807361

Why is Jason Kidd a Big12 guy?

EDIT:  Never mind, I see he is on the Big12 Advisory Board

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34827 on: January 13, 2023, 01:54:07 PM »
Is there any consideration of the Big 12 adding Tulane? It would seem the most attractive school out there with its academic reputation, historical tradition and current strength of the programs. Would position the Big 12 in the Deep South and would be a gred atrip for fans. I remember there was interest some years back, but the Tulane administration declined, saying they didn't want to ask their student-athletes to compete against Big 12 teams week after week. They seem to be on that level now, especially with OuT and three AAC teams making the leap to the Big 12.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34828 on: January 13, 2023, 01:59:03 PM »
The Big 12 doesn't need any more regional, hell, in Tulane's case, neighborhood niche schools.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34829 on: January 13, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
They were booted out of the Big East before that conference dissolved.  ACC didn't want them so they joined the Sunbelt and a few years ago joined the AAC.  They didn't even have a FB stadium until a few years ago.  :nono:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34830 on: January 13, 2023, 06:15:56 PM »
They were booted out of the Big East before that conference dissolved.  ACC didn't want them so they joined the Sunbelt and a few years ago joined the AAC.  They didn't even have a FB stadium until a few years ago.  :nono:

Which goes to my point of them improving their program since the Bigz 12 last took a swing at them. At least they have a program unlike Gonzaga in rough ridin' nowhere Spokane, and one good enough to win a New Year's Day bowl.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34831 on: January 13, 2023, 08:20:01 PM »

They were never kicked out of the Big East and were never candidates for the ACC. They were in the SEC until the mid 60s when they left on their own. After they left the SEC they were independent in football until Conference USA formed. They were there until the American formed and invited a bunch of football schools from CUSA. When they were independent in football their other sports were in the cool ass old metro confidence with schools like Cincinnati, Louisville, and Memphis.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34832 on: January 14, 2023, 03:42:27 AM »
I got them mixed up with Temple.
Temple had joined the Big East for football only in 1991, but found it difficult to compete with the other league teams and drew very poor attendance to its games. The conference was compelled to expel the Owls voluntarily in 2004 (after playing two seasons as an independent, Temple joined the MAC in 2007).

But I did get the move to their own stadium in 2014 right.
.Yulman Stadium is the on-campus venue for football at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana. It currently has a capacity of 30,000 spectators, with 4,500 premium seats in two fan clubs – the Westfeldt Terrace and the Jill H. and Avram A. Glazer Family Club.[2] The stadium's first game and grand opening was the 2014 season's home opener against its former Southern Conference and Southeastern Conference foe Georgia Tech on September 6, 2014.

Yulman replaced the Mercedes-Benz Superdome as the home stadium of Tulane Green Wave football after 39 seasons at that venue, and it is situated on the university's Uptown campus between the Tulane baseball team's Turchin Stadium and the former site of Tulane's last on-campus football stadium, Tulane Stadium.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34833 on: January 14, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
Yeah I wondered WTF you were talking about. Tulane has a proud football history and has won more SEC championships than many of the current schools.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34834 on: January 14, 2023, 09:40:10 AM »
But they're not going to move the needle in any appreciable way in the areas that matter for TV contracts. 

There's lots of schools in the same boat, they're barely recognized from a sports perspective in their respective cities. 

The new Big 12 is going to have 4 schools that kind of fit that mold already.  The difference is, there's going to be diploma mills like UCF who by shear Red Chinese Army circa 1951 human wave assault are going to build up a sizeable constituency in a populous state.   Cinncy has a very strong fanbase in their city that regularly sells out their venues and is the second strongest athletic department in another populous college sports obsessed state.   In LA it's all Saints/LSU all the time.   Turn on a Tulane Football game and even in their smallish (but very nice) stadium, there's 1000's of empty seats.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34835 on: January 14, 2023, 12:53:41 PM »

They were never kicked out of the Big East and were never candidates for the ACC. They were in the SEC until the mid 60s when they left on their own. After they left the SEC they were independent in football until Conference USA formed. They were there until the American formed and invited a bunch of football schools from CUSA. When they were independent in football their other sports were in the cool ass old metro confidence with schools like Cincinnati, Louisville, and Memphis.

Metro hoops was great
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34837 on: January 20, 2023, 05:45:33 PM »
Jesus Christ

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34838 on: January 20, 2023, 06:52:00 PM »
That can’t be great for conference member morale and esprit de corps.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34839 on: January 20, 2023, 08:37:23 PM »
They must know that everyone thinks of the PAC as the rough ridin' keystone cops of conferences, don't they?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34840 on: January 20, 2023, 10:15:49 PM »
So in reality, the conference distributions to each school should have been even leaseless?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:32:55 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34841 on: January 20, 2023, 10:19:14 PM »
I know if I was a media partner in ongoing negotiations with the PAC 12 I would be viewing this as totally normal and definitely not a cause for concern.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #34842 on: January 21, 2023, 04:18:32 AM »
I can't even fathom being an exec and made aware of this thinking nobody will ever catch on.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34843 on: January 21, 2023, 07:24:18 AM »
So in reality, the conference distributions to each school should have been even lease?

That's the question I have...did they distribute the over collected revenue, or did they hoard it in a slush fund at the conference level?  I bet they were much more precise about what they paid out to schools, and kept the extra cash at the conference office level.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34844 on: January 21, 2023, 08:08:32 AM »
So in reality, the conference distributions to each school should have been even lease?

That's the question I have...did they distribute the over collected revenue, or did they hoard it in a slush fund at the conference level?  I bet they were much more precise about what they paid out to schools, and kept the extra cash at the conference office level.

Pretty sure it was paid out up to 2017 when the distributor caught their mistake and stopped overpaying.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34845 on: January 21, 2023, 10:30:07 AM »

I disagree.  I bet they paid the schools precisely according to their contracts and triple rough ridin' checked it.  I bet they decided to be quiet about the cash leftover in the conference bank account after they paid the schools.

Pretty sure it was paid out up to 2017 when the distributor caught their mistake and stopped overpaying.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34846 on: January 21, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »
There was a bit of an uproar about the money that Larry Scott was spending on offices and other items.  Money being used for that?

He had the conference digs in the high end district of a high rent city, SF, as I recall.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34847 on: January 29, 2023, 01:55:26 PM »

Oh hell yes. The Metro 7 was a helluva conference. Cincinnati had so many good players and coach Gale Catlett. UL had Denny Crum coaching, Darrell Griffith, Scooter McRae, Jerry Eaves. Those were early Saturday afternoon games. And in 1980 they knocked KSU out of the tourney in the second round on a last second shot. Jerry (rough ridin') Eaves.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34848 on: January 29, 2023, 03:16:55 PM »

Oh hell yes. The Metro 7 was a helluva conference. Cincinnati had so many good players and coach Gale Catlett. UL had Denny Crum coaching, Darrell Griffith, Scooter McRae, Jerry Eaves. Those were early Saturday afternoon games. And in 1980 they knocked KSU out of the tourney in the second round on a last second shot. Jerry (rough ridin') Eaves.

In OT. I reall think that might have been the best K-State ever. Recond doesn;t reflect but team had a lot of injuries. Had already beaten KU, MU and OU on the road when healthy.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34849 on: February 08, 2023, 08:11:00 PM »
Pac-12 expansion with San Diego State, SMU may be necessary before league inks new media rights deal

The Pac-12's next media rights deal will be heavily reliant on a digital streaming partner. Significantly more than half of each season's Pac-12 football games will be primarily available via streaming as part of the conference's next rights deal, sources tell CBS Sports.

Such a ratio is unprecedented for a Power Five conference and for whichever streaming giant becomes the first to more fully embrace college sports. The move would likely upset Pac-12 coaches, athletic directors and administrators who rely on widespread visibility for their games via linear (cable) and network platforms for everything from athletic recruitment to university enrollment.