Author Topic: capitol riot  (Read 131974 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: capitol riot
« Reply #1825 on: January 06, 2022, 02:07:27 PM »
I think you can agree with KK's sentiment and still think the rioters should be punished far more harshly

Sure, there isn't any law against hypocrisy.

Acknowledging a slightly positive side effect of a crime doesn't make it any less criminal nor does it necessarily mean the punishment should be less severe.

A lot of rich people in power have spread bullshit, much of which they don't actually believe, to pander to the electorate and get votes.  They have also largely been insulated to the negative consequences by being rich people in power.  Generally, I think it's good for them to see some sort of consequences to those lies.  I don't find it hypocritical to say that it also should have no bearing on the punishment of the people who broke the law.

I don't see that as a positive side effect at all.

it's also a complete (and destructive) misread of who was on who's side.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 06, 2022, 02:11:04 PM »
Do you think a violent overthrow of the government was a potential outcome on Jan 6th?  What do you think was going to happen?

I think the institutions are plenty rotten, but the idiots in the capital were not the real problem.  Maybe we agree here.

"violent overthow of the govt" misstates the role of the govt in the attempted coup.

yes, i think there was a small chance that trump could have overridden the results of the election, but it is more important to dispense with the foolish urge to suggest that only successful treason attempts are serious problems and should be aggressively dissuaded.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 06, 2022, 02:19:29 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 02:35:38 PM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 06, 2022, 02:31:51 PM »
This is my Christmas.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 06, 2022, 02:36:29 PM »
I think you can agree with KK's sentiment and still think the rioters should be punished far more harshly

Acknowledging a slightly positive side effect of a crime doesn't make it any less criminal nor does it necessarily mean the punishment should be less severe.

A lot of rich people in power have spread bullshit, much of which they don't actually believe, to pander to the electorate and get votes.  They have also largely been insulated to the negative consequences by being rich people in power.  Generally, I think it's good for them to see some sort of consequences to those lies.  I don't find it hypocritical to say that it also should have no bearing on the punishment of the people who broke the law.

I don't see that as a positive side effect at all.

it's also a complete (and destructive) misread of who was on who's side.

I may need more clarity on this, but of course the rioters were on the GOP side.  There were also GOP officials that were threatened and others that weren't directly threatened but likely scared.  Outside of perhaps Pence, certainly not on the scale of targeted Democrats.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: January 06, 2022, 03:23:10 PM »
What could I find about BLM protesters that would compare with an attempt to overthrow our government?
You're so dramatic. lol, but whatever. You view the world differently.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1479118479089291276

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 06, 2022, 03:34:00 PM »
lol. k

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 06, 2022, 03:35:21 PM »
 :lol:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 06, 2022, 03:38:13 PM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 06, 2022, 03:46:22 PM »
I need a picture of my tazey little maga

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 06, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
Fanning, the trumpers literally carry American flags with a blue line for cops, but a year ago today they killed one. So, like, your ‘argument’ or whatever isn’t working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cops killed a MAGA for taking a selfie, so the count turned out even. All is fair in love and war I guess.

yo wtf

I can't wait to read the rest of this, homeboy is clearly on one today.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 06, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 06, 2022, 03:54:26 PM »
You know when the left didn't care about a peaceful protest, is when they were looting and stealing crap, for #BLM! #FUCKTHOPOLICE

I kinda want to throw gas on this meltdown by commenting on the clear problematic nature of this post, but I'm going to leave it at this. I'm sure the full blown persecution has/will happened without my help.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 06, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »
Enjoy the reading, MIR and go cats!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 06, 2022, 03:57:39 PM »
Blue Lives Matter (when it fits our political agenda) . . . #blueanon  (but we cheered when our rioters were injuring 50 plus secret service officers at the White House when we tried to overrun the fence line, because we were mad about issues created in #blueanon political strongholds that #blueanon leaders did nothing about for decades)

Blue lives don't matter to me, but I'm sure going to point out the hilarious hypocrisy of using a flag pole with a blue lives matter flag on it to beat the crap out of a cop.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 06, 2022, 04:00:27 PM »
I think Jan. 6th was bad in the sense that people stormed the capital because of Q-Anon and a bunch of dumb stuff, but good in that a bunch of the most powerful people in the country felt scared for their lives.

This is the both sidesing I can get behind

it is absolute nonsense and complete stupidity.

the individuals involved with the failed coup should have been dealt with far more harshly than we have.  one of the grave mistakes democrats have made is that they prioritized a bunch of dubious spending bills over pursuing justice and defending our democracy.

Got this exactly backwards, not the least bit surprised though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 06, 2022, 04:02:47 PM »

The corporatist scumbags clutching their pearls about a so called threat to democracy isn't hypocrisy but it sure is something.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:07:23 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 06, 2022, 04:10:12 PM »

The corporatist scumbags clutching their pearls about a so called threat to democracy isn't hypocrisy but it sure is something.

"I'm glad the terrorists didn't succeed in overthrowing the country, and I do think their sentences were too light, but boy I do love that they terrorized the people they were trying to overthrow."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 06, 2022, 04:31:50 PM »
I'm not justifying that it happened but I also have little sympathy for Mike Pence being scared of the monsters he was complicit in creating

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
capitol riot
« Reply #1844 on: January 06, 2022, 04:46:13 PM »
"I'm glad the terrorists didn't succeed in overthrowing the country, and I do think their sentences were too light,

This half is based in facts which is what the legal system should consider

but boy I do love that they terrorized the people they were trying to overthrow."

This half is an opinion, which is personal and should not be considered in any legal proceeding

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: January 06, 2022, 04:52:26 PM »
"I'm glad the terrorists didn't succeed in overthrowing the country, and I do think their sentences were too light,

but boy I do love that they terrorized the people they were trying to overthrow."

This half is an opinion, which is personal and should not be considered in any legal proceeding

Sure, I wasn't advocating that people should go to jail for having awful opinions like "terrorism is actually pretty great."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: January 06, 2022, 04:56:11 PM »

Sure, I wasn't advocating that people should go to jail for having awful opinions like "terrorism is actually pretty great."

You're misrepresenting what he said. Finding a silver lining out of a bad situation is not the same thing as the strawman you've built.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: January 06, 2022, 04:58:10 PM »

You're misrepresenting what he said. Finding a silver lining out of a bad situation is not the same thing as the strawman you've built.

The "silver lining" was literally that people were afraid for their lives.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: January 06, 2022, 05:01:23 PM »

The "silver lining" was literally that people were afraid for their lives.

I guess you just don't know Kat Kid very well.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: January 06, 2022, 05:09:30 PM »
People that helped create the terror, sure.