Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 369587 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In a typical movie or TV series I would expect for Theon to finally take some type of action to defend or help Sansa.... in this series, I doubt he will because that's what everyone thinks will happen.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with intentionally going against what the audience wants - I just think an overarching theme of this show is that the ruthless and cunning tend to prevail over honor and justice. Ned did what was right - lost his head. Little Finger betrayed him, he prospers. Bronn's win at the Eyrie. The Mountain's win over Oberyn. Geoffry is a sadistic little eff but none of the people he wronged got their revenge - he fell to a plot between Little Finger and House Tyrel.

I'm guessing Theon, Sansa, and none of the other "good guys" are going to bring Ramsay down. Roose or his wife seem more likely to kill him. I'm still hazy on why Roose felt it would be a good idea to inform Ramsay that he is expecting a son. Is he trying to put Ramsay on warning, or is he trying to bait Ramsay into doing something?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In a typical movie or TV series I would expect for Theon to finally take some type of action to defend or help Sansa.... in this series, I doubt he will because that's what everyone thinks will happen.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with intentionally going against what the audience wants - I just think an overarching theme of this show is that the ruthless and cunning tend to prevail over honor and justice. Ned did what was right - lost his head. Little Finger betrayed him, he prospers. Bronn's win at the Eyrie. The Mountain's win over Oberyn. Geoffry is a sadistic little eff but none of the people he wronged got their revenge - he fell to a plot between Little Finger and House Tyrel.

I'm guessing Theon, Sansa, and none of the other "good guys" are going to bring Ramsay down. Roose or his wife seem more likely to kill him. I'm still hazy on why Roose felt it would be a good idea to inform Ramsay that he is expecting a son. Is he trying to put Ramsay on warning, or is he trying to bait Ramsay into doing something?

Yeah, but Tyrion got to kill Tywin.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yeah, but Tyrion got to kill Tywin.

Yeah, but aside from Tyrion's lofty ideas of love and family loyalty, he's super cunning.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
He was putting ramsey in his place
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Theon is not a good guy even in a relative sense, he's just been victimized by someone more cruel/cunning.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Theon is not a good guy even in a relative sense, he's just been victimized by someone more cruel/cunning.
Great point. He was very unlikable before Ramsey turned him into Reek.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I don't care for any of the story lines right now besides Stannis and Danny.

Stannis is the most boring character on the show.

haters don't understand

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

He is a good guy in a relative sense. He also has the potential for redemption, unlike some of the flatter pure evil characters. Other than that, I agree with you. That's why I put "good guys" in quotes. He is good relative to Ramsay.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

He is a good guy in a relative sense. He also has the potential for redemption, unlike some of the flatter pure evil characters. Other than that, I agree with you. That's why I put "good guys" in quotes. He is good relative to Ramsay.

What is the good guy part?  He betrayed the Starks.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Just needs counseling

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Theon is not a good guy...even though he didn't actually kill Bran & whatever the younger kid's name is...he did kill two innocent boys to make it look like he killed the Stark boys.

But other characters have been redeemed after doing things just as bad. Jaime killed his own cousin to get out when he was captured.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I didn't say he was good - I said he was better than Ramsay. And he's redeemable. His dad shipped him off as a child to become the hostage/ward of his enemy. That's pretty mumped up. Everything he did at Winterfell was an effort to prove himself worthy to his POS dad.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
as soon as ramsey has something terrible happen to him you guys will all think he's not that bad either.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Theon is about as redeemable as that Two-For-One Tastee Freeze coupon you've had in your wallet for the last three decades, KSUW.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Theon is about as redeemable as that Two-For-One Tastee Freeze coupon you've had in your wallet for the last three decades, KSUW.

Theon is a POS. He's had a very terrible time since being taken by the Boltons, but he hasn't done anything since the show started that makes him the least bit likable or redeemable. He's the biggest coward on the show.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Theon is a complete stud. Hoping he becomes King.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I didn't say he was good - I said he was better than Ramsay. And he's redeemable. His dad shipped him off as a child to become the hostage/ward of his enemy. That's pretty mumped up. Everything he did at Winterfell was an effort to prove himself worthy to his POS dad.

Just because Ramsay is cruel does not make him worse than Theon.  Ramsay's treatment of Theon does not change Theon's history, it may make him pitiable, but there is not much evidence that he is better than Ramsay.

In the GOT moral universe he is not better than Ramsay because he is a coward (Greyjoy/Iron Isles paradigm), not loyal (Stark/Greyjoy paradigm), and not tough/resilient (Bolton/GOT in general).

Ramsay has done a lot of evil things, but they have mostly been in service of carving out his slice of life.  Even when it was pure cruelty, it served to bolster his house's reputation.  (flayed man sigil)  He has not betrayed his father.  Ramsay is an evil, ruthless sadist but how could you possibly think that Theon betraying both his family's core beliefs and then repeatedly betraying the House that he was fostered with are more excusable than Ramsay's excesses?

Theon is weak and so he suffers.  On it goes.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Theon is a FP, HC, etc. He deserves what he gets.

fixed

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Just because Ramsay is cruel does not make him worse than Theon.  Ramsay's treatment of Theon does not change Theon's history, it may make him pitiable, but there is not much evidence that he is better than Ramsay.

In the GOT moral universe he is not better than Ramsay because he is a coward (Greyjoy/Iron Isles paradigm), not loyal (Stark/Greyjoy paradigm), and not tough/resilient (Bolton/GOT in general).

Ramsay has done a lot of evil things, but they have mostly been in service of carving out his slice of life.  Even when it was pure cruelty, it served to bolster his house's reputation.  (flayed man sigil)  He has not betrayed his father.  Ramsay is an evil, ruthless sadist but how could you possibly think that Theon betraying both his family's core beliefs and then repeatedly betraying the House that he was fostered with are more excusable than Ramsay's excesses?

If I was in a room with pre-Reek Theon, he'd probably just brag about how many girls he's shagged (kinda like Beems). If I was in a room with Ramsay, he'd probably peel my face off. Ramsey is a lot worse than Theon.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Reek got that old lady skinned alive just a few days ago.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

If I was in a room with pre-Reek Theon, he'd probably just brag about how many girls he's shagged (kinda like Beems). If I was in a room with Ramsay, he'd probably peel my face off. Ramsey is a lot worse than Theon.

You mean pre-killing some close friends in Winterfell Theon?  Or all the way back to ready to rape a wildling before being caught Theon?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
You guys remember when theon finger popped his sister within 5 minutes of meeting her?   :lol:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You guys remember when theon finger popped his sister within 5 minutes of meeting her?   :lol:

Is KSUW Jim Bob Duggar?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter how much he sinned in his past life as Theon, he can be saved in his new life as Reek.

The Big Train

so the dragons still haven't arrived  :frown: