Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 72694 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
Study related logistical nightmare bros!  :cheers:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
Mine is always some pud class that I show up to once and don't give a crap about and then I forget it was even on the schedule come the end of the semester.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
I have the same dream - I blame the weird Statistics req that made me take some dumb Stats 110 class that was only 8 weeks long so I had a "hole " in my T-Th routine when it was over

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »
yeah. it's pretty much always ksu campus and i had a mwf930 or something that i quit going to and i probably missed a test or two and now i can't remember exactly where the class was and who taught it and it's towards the end of the semster and i know i'm going to get an F or something.
Also same dream about once every few  months. Always college, usually at my high school building though
:adios:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
My last semester was full of two classes I had to have for my major and a couple electives like basketball.  I always dreamed about forgetting I even enrolled until the day before finals then panicking about not even knowing where they were holding class at. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
getting applejack-style thread déjà vu, here

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
98.1 doing a segment on school budgets this afternoon.

Notes:
 - Blue Valley dist has over 70 admins making over $100k a year
 - Blue Valley supt makes $307k/yr
 - KCK has 20 admin making over $100k.
 - KCK has a "custodian" making $92k
 - KCK has a "secratary" making $81k

They started this convo because Sumner Academy just bout a $47k piano for their choir program.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
I had a dream last night I was back in high school. I had already graduated college, but I went back to high school to finish some credits to get my diploma.

i've had that dream.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
I had a dream last night I was back in high school. I had already graduated college, but I went back to high school to finish some credits to get my diploma.

i've had that dream.

Did you realize halfway through the semester that you had a class or classes that you totally forgot about?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

i've had that dream.

Did you realize halfway through the semester that you had a class or classes that you totally forgot about?

it was more like i had to go back and finish a couple of classes in hs before everyone figured out i'd somehow moved along without ever graduating.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »

i've had that dream.

it was more like i had to go back and finish a couple of classes in hs before everyone figured out i'd somehow moved along without ever graduating.

Says something about our public school system that something like that could even happen in a dream...

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
98.1 doing a segment on school budgets this afternoon.

Notes:
 - Blue Valley dist has over 70 admins making over $100k a year
 - Blue Valley supt makes $307k/yr
 - KCK has 20 admin making over $100k.
 - KCK has a "custodian" making $92k
 - KCK has a "secratary" making $81k

They started this convo because Sumner Academy just bout a $47k piano for their choir program.

Heard this segment as well.  Always see pupil/teacher ratios and $/pupil.  Are there any studies on teacher/admins or admin $/teacher analysis?

Tom

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
(Budget - admin sal and facilities)/pupil would be interesting too.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »
Apparently some Johnson County school districts get "equalization" payments because they're so poor under the formula.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Sam just recommended last week that districts push the locals to do something with sales and propt taxes to fill their budget holes as he cuts again.  Hard core con doing what he can to raise your propt and local sales taxes.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
Sam just recommended last week that districts push the locals to do something with sales and propt taxes to fill their budget holes as he cuts again.  Hard core con doing what he can to raise your propt and local sales taxes.

Browny also suggested that school distrticts get money based on performance:
http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article8639078.html

“Let’s spend that two years writing a finance formula that gets money to the classroom, and I’d like it to have some incentives tied with performance,” Brownback said Friday. “Are the kids reading at the fourth-grade level when they get to fourth grade? When you leave high school, are you either ready to go to college or go to work?

“I’d rather you’d be both, ready to do both, but are you? And we want to pay that you will be, and if you’re not, then you should be penalized for it because that’s what you’re supposed to get done.”

:facepalm:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »

I support this bottom up model. We should pay less taxes to the state and federal government and more taxes to our local units of government. It keep more of your tax money in your own community and it is easier to hold local governments accountable for how the money is spent.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »

I support this bottom up model. We should pay less taxes to the state and federal government and more taxes to our local units of government. It keep more of your tax money in your own community and it is easier to hold local governments accountable for how the money is spent.

If you live in a rural area, you will pray that it is not on the local government to levee, collect, and administer tax/ tax law.  It is an awful and inefficient way to go.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »

If you live in a rural area, you will pray that it is not on the local government to levee, collect, and administer tax/ tax law.  It is an awful and inefficient way to go.

I don't live in a rural area, and I would prefer that my money not be redistributed to rural areas. Speaking of inefficient... Local taxation is far more efficient than the federal fovernment being the largest taxing unit. There are a more middle men between the feds and my roads.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2015, 02:42:03 PM »

Ok to crash the state by stupid taxes, because eff taxes.  OK to raise taxes locally because more local taxes is just what we need?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2015, 02:44:12 PM »
Rural schools would be broke

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
“Let’s spend that two years writing a finance formula that gets money to the classroom, and I’d like it to have some incentives tied with performance,” Brownback said Friday. “Are the kids reading at the fourth-grade level when they get to fourth grade? When you leave high school, are you either ready to go to college or go to work?

“I’d rather you’d be both, ready to do both, but are you? And we want to pay that you will be, and if you’re not, then you should be penalized for it because that’s what you’re supposed to get done.”

Ah, yes.  Performance based funding ranks right up there with evaluating teachers based on their students' performance.  Clearly, Blue Valley deserves more money than KCK, because their students perform better on assessments.  How can anyone think this is appropriate by any stretch of the imagination?!?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

Ah, yes.  Performance based funding ranks right up there with evaluating teachers based on their students' performance.  Clearly, Blue Valley deserves more money than KCK, because their students perform better on assessments.  How can anyone think this is appropriate by any stretch of the imagination?!?

Maybe they'll base it on improvement from a baseline, in which case the crap test schools have the most opportunity to get more $$$$.

If any of you think this is anything more than a way to push towards charter schools, you aren't paying attention.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
Everything that Brownback, the Koch bros, and the Kansas Policy Institute try to do involving education is a push toward charter schools. 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
Someone smart tell me what charter schools are
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite