Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 71956 times)

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »

What incentive is there to change then?

Actually, the incentive to change (because of teacher evals linked to testing, NCLB, etc.) has sucked the creativity right out of teaching.  It is more difficult to implement new ideas, because the kids are constantly either testing or preparing for testing.

The best time of the year is after assessments are over.  For that month or so, even though summer was approaching and the kids were ready to be out of school, my students would always learn a lot.  Hands on history and science projects, career fairs (complete with resume writing, interviewing, skills application), math projects that applied to the real world....we all loved it.

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
Speaking of teacher evaluations linked to test scores...

I am a part time school counselor.  My evaluation is partially based on the assessment scores of our 3rd and 4th graders.  I don't even get to work with those grade levels b/c of my part time status (my job description is ridiculous, but that is a different story).

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
I think we should end standardized tests. 100% serious.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
Also, just set a base level of funding for each school, and let the schools and teachers decide how best to use them. If the schools suck, the PTAs or whatever can pressure the school to do better. No more statewide or nation wide standards, because those suck. No more politicians forcing agendas to students.

Bam. I just fixed schools.

CaseClosed.WC08.gif

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
Also, just set a base level of funding for each school, and let the schools and teachers decide how best to use them. If the schools suck, the PTAs or whatever can pressure the school to do better. No more statewide or nation wide standards, because those suck. No more politicians forcing agendas to students.

CaseClosed.WC08.gif

I suggest you check out who is actually on your local school board, and how together their own crap is, before you declare success.

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2015, 10:45:51 AM »

CaseClosed.WC08.gif

So how exactly would the PTA determine if the school was not doing a good enough job?  Would they all agree on what their children should be learning at a given grade level? 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »

What incentive is there to change then?

Actually, the incentive to change (because of teacher evals linked to testing, NCLB, etc.) has sucked the creativity right out of teaching.  It is more difficult to implement new ideas, because the kids are constantly either testing or preparing for testing.

The best time of the year is after assessments are over.  For that month or so, even though summer was approaching and the kids were ready to be out of school, my students would always learn a lot.  Hands on history and science projects, career fairs (complete with resume writing, interviewing, skills application), math projects that applied to the real world....we all loved it.

I am all for allowing more teachers to do their own thing but if there are still unmotivated administrators and budget issues, that won't change much other than one individual classroom here and there. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
We need to identify the under-performing students, and then give their parents a boatload of cash.  Studies show that children of wealthier parents perform markedly better in school.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »

CaseClosed.WC08.gif

So how exactly would the PTA determine if the school was not doing a good enough job?  Would they all agree on what their children should be learning at a given grade level?

I said PTA or WHATEVER.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »
I think you need standardized tests of some sort, or it'll be next to impossible to know what's working and what isn't. But I don't think it's a very good/fair way to evaluate teachers.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »
Teacher eval is a tough subject.  It is definitely needed, however, teachers don't have control of a bunch of important variables that would be needed to provide fair evals based on student progress. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
I think you need standardized tests of some sort, or it'll be next to impossible to know what's working and what isn't. But I don't think it's a very good/fair way to evaluate teachers.

1 per year per student.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »
Teacher eval is a tough subject.  It is definitely needed, however, teachers don't have control of a bunch of important variables that would be needed to provide fair evals based on student progress. 

yes. Was it you that shared that podcast from Sweden? IMO the best way to ensure teachers will perform is to weed out people early - make it difficult to get into a teaching education program.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »

yes. Was it you that shared that podcast from Sweden? IMO the best way to ensure teachers will perform is to weed out people early - make it difficult to get into a teaching education program.

Yeah, that was my share.  I did like the idea on making it difficult to get into.  However, they also made it high paying.  So, good luck with that around here.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »

Yeah, that was my share.  I did like the idea on making it difficult to get into.  However, they also made it high paying.  So, good luck with that around here.

raise the requirements and let the market take care of itself

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
I would imagine a lot of them don't.

Seriously?

Anecdotally, yes.  I've encountered far more unimpressive educators in my life (below the college level) than I have those that were legitimately bright.  Many if not most were run of the mill dumbasses.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »
Sam just recommended last week that districts push the locals to do something with sales and propt taxes to fill their budget holes as he cuts again.  Hard core con doing what he can to raise your propt and local sales taxes.

Browny also suggested that school distrticts get money based on performance:
http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article8639078.html

“Let’s spend that two years writing a finance formula that gets money to the classroom, and I’d like it to have some incentives tied with performance,” Brownback said Friday. “Are the kids reading at the fourth-grade level when they get to fourth grade? When you leave high school, are you either ready to go to college or go to work?

“I’d rather you’d be both, ready to do both, but are you? And we want to pay that you will be, and if you’re not, then you should be penalized for it because that’s what you’re supposed to get done.”

:facepalm:

I think Sam structured those last 2 sentences at a 5th grade level.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Cuts

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »
Something drastic needs to be done with public schools, because they are failing and more and more money has done nothing to help. Sam has his approach. The establishment will obviously fight to the death to protect their entitlement (status quo). How anyone is surprised by this, I don't know.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2015, 01:43:45 AM »
Something drastic needs to be done with public schools, because they are failing and more and more money has done nothing to help. Sam has his approach. The establishment will obviously fight to the death to protect their entitlement (status quo). How anyone is surprised by this, I don't know.

Dear God, do people have any idea what even goes on in schools before spouting the "failing" comments?  Please give me specific examples of how exactly our Kansas schools are failing.  The expectations on these kids are sky high...MUCH HIGHER than when I was in school.  The stakes are sky high as well.  I just get so sick of people who have no education or child development background proclaiming the schools, teachers, and students to be failures. 

Have you read studies about how skewed the data is when comparing our ed data to that of other countries?  Poverty is the number one factor in determining at-risk students. For a little light reading on the subject, check this out.

http://www.epi.org/publication/us-student-performance-testing/

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »
if we are talking drastic, we need to talk parents.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2015, 08:45:50 AM »

Dear God, do people have any idea what even goes on in schools before spouting the "failing" comments?  Please give me specific examples of how exactly our Kansas schools are failing.  The expectations on these kids are sky high...MUCH HIGHER than when I was in school.  The stakes are sky high as well.  I just get so sick of people who have no education or child development background proclaiming the schools, teachers, and students to be failures. 

Have you read studies about how skewed the data is when comparing our ed data to that of other countries?  Poverty is the number one factor in determining at-risk students. For a little light reading on the subject, check this out.

http://www.epi.org/publication/us-student-performance-testing/

I'm far from an expert on education, but common sense would indicate that you are correct in that poverty (or more likely terrible parenting, but they go hand in hand) is the most significant factor in a child's education. However, the same common sense also dictates that simply shoveling more money into schools won't fix that problem.

I think our schools could probably get by with a quite a bit less money - they should focus more on the fundamentals, consolidate, and shed a lot of redundant administrative positions. Schools are susceptible to the same bloat as any other government-funded bureaucracy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
If parenting is the most important factor, how do rich kids at elite boarding schools always do so well away from their parents?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
If parenting is the most important factor, how do rich kids at elite boarding schools always do so well away from their parents?

They don't have to go home to shitty parents.

Offline Stellarcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:13 AM »

They have likely had a lot of enrichment opportunities, preschool, parents who read to them when they are young, etc.