Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933861 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4575 on: March 19, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
Why would you expect a decline? I can understand why you might have expected one before this season or after Angel left, but not from this season to next.

a.  because that's what happens when a team has a poor year.  ticket sales reflect the previous year far more than they do predictions for the year the tickets are for.  and successive poor years generates a cumulative effect.
Has this been shown to be true at ksu?
Even if it was, I'm not convinced KSU ticket buyers perceived this season as worse than last.

Not the same thing.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4576 on: March 19, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
Cap'n will tell us the truth.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: March 19, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
Why would you expect a decline? I can understand why you might have expected one before this season or after Angel left, but not from this season to next.

a.  because that's what happens when a team has a poor year.  ticket sales reflect the previous year far more than they do predictions for the year the tickets are for.  and successive poor years generates a cumulative effect.
Even if it was, I'm not convinced KSU ticket buyers perceived this season as worse than last.

Not the same thing.

yeah, I guess I'm saying many KSU fans who considered 14-15 to be a poor year (bad attitudes and NBA dreams, stoners) are likely to not consider 15-16 to be a poor year (better than expected, kansan on all freshman team, bad injury luck). So the cumulative poor season buildup does not apply.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: March 19, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
i think the conference record will trump those considerations.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: March 19, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »

Not the same thing.

yeah, I guess I'm saying many KSU fans who considered 14-15 to be a poor year (bad attitudes and NBA dreams, stoners) are likely to not consider 15-16 to be a poor year (better than expected, kansan on all freshman team, bad injury luck). So the cumulative poor season buildup does not apply.

I think the playing up of tuck talking points is overplayed. It's very heavy handed to assume people will give oscar credit for Wade when Wade's people have been very vocal with their issues with oscar and the program.

At some point mocking and trolling became legitimate coping mechanisms for people on this site. There are faint signs of support for this coach right now. The thought that only we know what's best for the program and everyone else are blind lemmings is dead.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: March 19, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
I'm not mocking or trolling anyone. I'm just being realistic about what I think is the mindset of Currie and the fanbase as a whole.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: March 19, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
I'm not mocking or trolling anyone. I'm just being realistic about what I think is the mindset of Currie and the fanbase as a whole.
I don't see anything on the web, in the media, or on social media that supports any structured support for oscar Weber within this fan base. The rare, isolated signs of support generally think he needs more time, it's been a very long time since I've seen anyone state that they think oscar is the right coach here.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: March 19, 2016, 04:43:37 PM »
I don't see anything on the web, in the media, or on social media that supports any structured support for oscar Weber within this fan base. The rare, isolated signs of support generally think he needs more time, it's been a very long time since I've seen anyone state that they think oscar is the right coach here.

Yep, which is why attendance will decline. A confluence of disinterest and apathetic feelings toward oscar. A milkshake that the majority is pretty 'meh' on, and that a passionate minority hates, will indeed not bring many boys to the yard.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: March 19, 2016, 04:44:48 PM »
oscar is being made a scapegoat.  :frown:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: March 19, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

Have you seen the posts here about facebook comments on KSU AD posts? Or seen the paid attendance figures in conference play?

Also, columns like this are out there (if you've seen anyone in the media suggest he be fired, please let me know):

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article59710166.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article62158357.html

and this one that basically states why oscar is likely back for at least two more seasons:

http://m.cjonline.com/sports/catzone/2016-03-10/kevin-haskin-beat-goes-weber-cats-crumble-big-12-tourney#gsc.tab=0

Yes, it's all lukewarm, but no one thinks he should be fired besides a few optimistic goEMAW'ers. Again, if you show me a column or group of folks in favor of firing oscar, please let me know.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: March 19, 2016, 05:17:27 PM »
The Animal's twitter interactions show the administration is still behind oscar imo

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: March 19, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
Feels like people are talking past each other here. Mich didn't say that oscar had strong support, and MiR didn't say that your average tuck wants oscar canned. Sounds like you both agree on what the general attitude of the fanbase is, but disagree on what conditions are necessary for lower attendance and/or coaching dismissal.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4587 on: March 19, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
At best, based on the same kind of anecdotal evidence that MC has linked, I'd say we are 50/50 on removing oscar next year based on fan expectations.

A huge portion of this fan base sees the NIT as a good year because we got locked out for the better part of 15 years. And a big portion of tuck/casual fans have it in their head that you can't win unless you cheat or pay players. And that goes against the moral pedestal that a huge number of our fans want to stand on.

I'm honestly not trolling. I'm very, very pessimistic towards our aggregate fan base. Sure, a number of the younger fans are done with oscar and out for blood. But a lot of older, rural, nostalgic folks get off on the fact that a white bread, boring, positive guy that recruits Claws and plays Hot Horndogs is running the show. If anything, these folks can go to church on Sunday, or work on Monday, and throw a bunch of morally superior crap at KU fans.

I think the divide here is that some think we have an evolved fan base, and that's probably true for younger folks and recent alumni. But for folks over 50, and our t-shirt fans, their definition of success is more gray and tied to strange, subjective moral victories. And oscar fits that mold.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: March 19, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
The Animal's twitter interactions show the administration is still behind oscar imo
This will be the case until the tweet that announces a change was made.  Until then, oscar is their guy, and you don't publicly run down your guy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4589 on: March 19, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »
For example, my neighbor is a fifty-something baseball alumni. He interacts with Currie via the Diamond Cats. I criticized Currie for oscar, and he quickly responded that he cares about facilities and what Currie has done on that front. He's not concerned so much with oscar. And he donates a decent amount of money.

So, again, this is where we are at. It's gotta come from the big donors, and I think most of them are so dug in with Currie that oscar gets a pass as long as the cranes are still parked on campus.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: March 19, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »

This will be the case until the tweet that announces a change was made.  Until then, oscar is their guy, and you don't publicly run down your guy.

The Animal took it a lot further than just "not publicly running down his guy." When you're engaging fans directly who voice disapproval of someone, you aren't in the ballpark of firing them.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: March 19, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
Is he engaging? Seems he is just blocking

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: March 19, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »
Is he engaging? Seems he is just blocking

"He's" not doing anything anymore.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: March 19, 2016, 06:02:07 PM »
8 wins isn't that hard.  i'd probably put my expectations at 7-11 give or take 2 wins in either direction.

Yeah.

K-State returns a good bit of production. Its reasonable to expect several of those guys to improve. We have a 4 star coming in and 2 bigs that have been around the program for a year.

That's where thinking 8 wins isn't ridiculous barring defections or injuries next year.

MIN   74.2%
FGM   72.3%
FGA   72.3%
FTM   74.7%
FTA   75.1%
3PM   69.1%
3PA   70.7%
PTS   72.6%
OFFR   62.5%
DEFR   64.8%
REB   63.9%
AST   74.2%
TO   70.7%
STL   69.1%
BLK   68.1%

Offline porky morgan

• Not the real Porky Morgan
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: March 19, 2016, 06:03:41 PM »
I don't know man. I'm over 50 and went to KState largely because of the basketball program. I got to see A LOT of great basketball and it was the most fun part of college. Then I turned my back with apathy during the down years and then got very excited again during Huggs/Frank. Now I see it taken away from me, again, and I am pissed this time. Not like I'm any kind of big donor or anything, but a lot of guys I went to school with feel the same as me.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: March 19, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
I have tried really hard to get blocked by him. Idk what I'm doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: March 19, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
This is very depressing.  Pan's posts have illuminated the obvious, which I should have already been keenly aware of but was sort of in denial....and that is that Currie gives no fucks about "winning" and is here to run a successful business.  It makes good financial sense to keep oscar, because JUST ENOUGH of our fan base will tolerate oscar.

Kansas State fans are getting exactly what they are asking for.

This is so disheartening, because I cannot support K-State basketball as long as oscar is the coach.  I have zero respect for him.  None.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: March 19, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
I'd probably be upset, too, if I didn't think so many of these posts are nothing but bullshit.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »
I'd probably be upset, too, if I didn't think so many of these posts are nothing but bullshit.

I mean, it's gE so yeah, but I do believe that Currie isn't going to fire oscar anytime soon.  That, alone, is enough to make me sour on K-State hoops.  Which is upsetting.  I'm sure you understand.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: March 19, 2016, 06:26:12 PM »
I don't know man. I'm over 50 and went to KState largely because of the basketball program. I got to see A LOT of great basketball and it was the most fun part of college. Then I turned my back with apathy during the down years and then got very excited again during Huggs/Frank. Now I see it taken away from me, again, and I am pissed this time. Not like I'm any kind of big donor or anything, but a lot of guys I went to school with feel the same as me.

Yup, this is my dad and his friends. They all disliked oscar from day one tho. He didn't watch a single game this year
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite