Author Topic: Joint Checking Accounts  (Read 48749 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Checking Accounts
« Reply #325 on: May 03, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
#TeamJointAccount

there are +'s and -'s, but right now we have to track everything we spend for various reasons and this just makes it easier. do what works best for you.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2017, 12:33:08 PM »
definitely don't want a joint account now.. they seem like hostile people

definitely the most butthurt faction ITT, for sure. To wit:

I think separate accounts in marriage bugs me mostly because ...

Like the fact that what another couple does with their own money could possibly "bug you" is incredibly LOL
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »
mrs_k_m and myself have a joint checking/savings, and we also have separate checking/savings.  I do all of the monthly bills out of the joint checking, so she just transfers $xxxxxx into that account once a month.  Then we just use our own accounts to pay off our credit cards so that either of us can buy whatever we want.  Then we just transfer whatever is left over at the end of the month into our savings.  Pretty simple and we never argue over money.  She wants to spend $400 on makeup this month?  Why not, it's her money, man.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »
mrs_k_m and myself have a joint checking/savings, and we also have separate checking/savings.  I do all of the monthly bills out of the joint checking, so she just transfers $xxxxxx into that account once a month.  Then we just use our own accounts to pay off our credit cards so that either of us can buy whatever we want.  Then we just transfer whatever is left over at the end of the month into our savings.  Pretty simple and we never argue over money.  She wants to spend $400 on makeup this month?  Why not, it's her money, man.

kitten_mittons gets it
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
i think the concept of his money and her money is the most intriguing psychological aspect from people who are married.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I have a single checking account but probably 10 different emails so I think I get this separate checking account thing. You just use different checking accounts(emails) for different purposes.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
i think the concept of his money and her money is the most intriguing psychological aspect from people who are married.

Does the concept of his/her car or his/her clothes also blow your mind??
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
hey guys, what if you just had a bunch of envelopes for each person pre-filled with cash and threw away your credit cards?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »

Like the fact that what another couple does with their own money could possibly "bug you" is incredibly LOL

I just care about you guys and want you to have happy marriages. :frown:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 03, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »
I think separate accounts in marriage bugs me mostly because the top two reasons for having them are (1) keeping certain financials / spending a secret, and (2) keeping score of his vs. hers. Both of those just seem like recipes for disaster.

I don't doubt that people make it work, but I personally would be concerned if my spouse wanted to have a separate account.
No reason to keep score. We both know i'm already winning.  :D

Also, MRS gooch, major purchase you say? Here's my check for my part. Looking forward to Puerto Rico in a couple of months. High five.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2017, 01:15:11 PM »

You can still buy things for your personal use with shared money. We buy toothbrushes for  ourselves out of our joint account and have never fought about whose is nicer.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
There's a best-of-all-worlds, practical solution that can be customized to work for any situation.

If this thread goes another 5 pages or so, I'll do a professional presentation on this at FattyFest, separate from the other activities and before I start drinking, and attendees for that session can pay a fee that I'll donate to the Fund.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
The only mention of competition has been by you and the other one account'rs. Freudian maybe?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »

kitten_mittons gets it

Does he tho?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »

You can still buy things for your personal use with shared money. We buy toothbrushes for  ourselves out of our joint account and have never fought about whose is nicer.

toothbrushes, as in plural?  why aren't you sharing a toothbrush too, something to hide? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »
The only mention of competition has been by you and the other one account'rs. Freudian maybe?

I admire your faith in people being able to identify their own flaws. But no, not a Freudian thing.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

Yeah, toothbrushes barely factor into anything in this discussion. They're $3.  But to go back to my earlier example, I can guarantee you if I told Mrs. SB that I wanted to buy a nice guitar with our shared money from our joint account, I wouldn't end up buying as nice of a guitar as I want. One one hand, she'd be all, "hey this First Act is nice and shiny and it only costs $99, so maybe you should get this one!" On the other, I'd feel guilty about making her contribute any of her hard-earned money to pay for my expensive Gibson since she doesn't play, because that's not fair to her. So boom, save up in the little fun money account for a while, buy the expensive nice one myself, and voila, we never have to have any kind of discussion about First Act vs. Gibson. 

No-questions-asked side money accounts are so much fun, you guys. You guys have no idea what you're missing. All you have to do is be honest about it if they ask and it automatically eradicates any potential "zOMG SOMEONE'S HIDING SOMETHING" suspicions that some of the butthurts ITT have. Like, I gladly would show Mrs. SB all the sweet things I've bought out of my little side account if she ever asked (which she never will because we trust each other and because she just doesn't ever check accounts). We have a great marriage and we never fight about money or spending. :dunno:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:49:41 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »
does going out and getting blackout go in the fun account or joint?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 03, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »

If it's both of us then definitely joint. If it's me then it's definitely fun. Remember, the joint account is for us working together to achieve our major goals, and in that case the major goal is getting absolutely blackout together. Hungover breakfast together the next morning also comes from the joint account. Obviously.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »

If it's both of us then definitely joint. If it's me then it's definitely fun. Remember, the joint account is for us working together to achieve our major goals, and in that case the major goal is getting absolutely blackout together.

i'll be honest, you are selling me on this fun/joint blackout account thing

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 03, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
SB==>  :cheers:  <==Mrs. SB

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
Wacky you should get Apple Pay so she can just swipe your card.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2017, 01:59:38 PM »
Yeah, if you're jointly Pak'ing, that shits coming out of the joint account. Before the joint account tho, i'd always pick up the bigger tabs and her the smaller ones if we were bar hopping. If it started out as a lunch pak, I had the lunch and drinks at the lunch pak. She would then pick up the rest along the way. This crap is not a game.

^Big reason why I like pak'ing at home, because duh, it's way cheaper. However, she hates it, cause she loves going out with friends, when i'm content on the couch.

Thanks for the pro tip, _33. That sounds much easier.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »
So if you have a kid and you want to get the kid some awesome birthday gift, but your SO doesn't think the kid needs that super awesome thing......Then do you just buy the thing for the kid from your fun money account or what?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
If she says no, that's coming from my fun account, but she'd never say no to a puppy.  :D