Author Topic: Official 2013 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 168986 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2013 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #1250 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »
I think you have to keep the search quiet and only offer who you know will accept.  UT seems to have failed on both. I thought they had a shot at Saban, not that they could buy anyone. I think College coaches in both sports have learned that they can get paid real well no matter where they are if they keep winning and that starting from scratch somewhere new is a pain in the ass.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 03, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
It's strong

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 03, 2014, 10:08:32 PM »

I think Texas new AD just sucks...

SI's Pete Thamel cites a source who said Auburn HC Gus Malzahn has told friends privately that coaching Texas is his dream job.

"If confronted with the choice between Auburn and Austin, it's a no-brainer move for Malzahn to bolt," Thamel writes. "The best job in the Big 12 is a much more stable place than The Plains, as even a play-caller of Malzahn's acumen isn't likely to make adjustments to historical trends." This adds an interesting wrinkle to the National Championship game. the article was written in early December, but the idea that Malzahn could be on Texas' radar stands.

Source: Sports Illustrated

I'm confused as to what your sentence has to do with the si rumor.

Why are they rough ridin' around with Charlie Strong and James Franklin when they could have Malzahn?

It's one thing for Malzahn to want it, it's another for him to put up with 4 days of reporters questions about it. Strong and Franklin will still be available if/when Malzahn turns it down.

Wasn't there a rumor back in the day that Malzahn turned down KU for Ark St?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
Strong will be interesting.  Does not seem like a Slam dunk.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
Texas is what, on option 5 or 6?   Is Texas like that hot chick you're macking (no pun intended) on only to find out she is divorced with 3 kids?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 03, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Malzahn hasn't proven to be better than Franklin or Strong. He's had an amazing season, but required A LOT of luck.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1256 on: January 03, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »

:opcat:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 03, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »

SI's Pete Thamel cites a source who said Auburn HC Gus Malzahn has told friends privately that coaching Texas is his dream job.

"If confronted with the choice between Auburn and Austin, it's a no-brainer move for Malzahn to bolt," Thamel writes. "The best job in the Big 12 is a much more stable place than The Plains, as even a play-caller of Malzahn's acumen isn't likely to make adjustments to historical trends." This adds an interesting wrinkle to the National Championship game. the article was written in early December, but the idea that Malzahn could be on Texas' radar stands.

Why are they rough ridin' around with Charlie Strong and James Franklin when they could have Malzahn?

It's one thing for Malzahn to want it, it's another for him to put up with 4 days of reporters questions about it. Strong and Franklin will still be available if/when Malzahn turns it down.

Wasn't there a rumor back in the day that Malzahn turned down KU for Ark St?

If Gus turned down KU for Arkie State, he made a good decision. Smart guy.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1258 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »

No, but really good resume, coached under a lot of really good coaches, and is a no nonsense guy that may combat the "softness" you typically see at Texas.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 03, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
@McMurphyESPN: UCLA's Jim Mora was offered Texas job but turned it down @AdamSchefter reports

Ouch.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I honest to God think a bunch of guys don't want to deal with the LHN.

You can't be serious? You think guys are turning the job down because of the LHN? These guys that have been rumored to want the job are either very successful, have very good jobs, or both. Have any of you guys ever been professionally coveted? These coaches aren't any different than anyone else professionally successful. It's perfectly normal to be happy with the job you have, the house you live in, the friends you and your wife has, and the schools your kids attend without leaving it all for any pretty girl winking at you.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: January 03, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

Oh you assume that rumor is absolutely true, got it.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: January 03, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »
@McMurphyESPN: UCLA's Jim Mora was offered Texas job but turned it down @AdamSchefter reports

Ouch.

You can't be serious? You think guys are turning the job down because of the LHN? These guys that have been rumored to want the job are either very successful, have very good jobs, or both. Have any of you guys ever been professionally coveted? These coaches aren't any different than anyone else professionally successful. It's perfectly normal to be happy with the job you have, the house you live in, the friends you and your wife has, and the schools your kids attend without leaving it all for any pretty girl winking at you.

Not really. I think there are more Petrino's in the mix than Sumlin's.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:22:06 PM by bucket »

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »

Oh you assume that rumor is absolutely true, got it.

Not necessarily but I think Texas should be able to do better than Franklin and Strong.

Why did Chris Petersen have to leave so soon  :cry:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »

Ouch.

Well, of course.  But it's a lot to ask of a coach to do all of the coaches shows, televise practice, etc.  A lot of guys don't want to shoulder the burden of carrying all of that non-football stuff.

Briles staying at Baylor makes sense.  $4 million a year to play in a new stadium with unlimited job security?  Of course.

Jim Mora?  That's puzzling.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: January 03, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »

That would surprise me, I am more impressed with what Franklin has done at Vandy than what Strong has done at Louisville. Also not that its old by any means, but did you guys know that Strong is 53?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: January 03, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
I don't believe for a second that Mora was offered.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:19 PM »

Ouch.

Well, of course.  But it's a lot to ask of a coach to do all of the coaches shows, televise practice, etc.  A lot of guys don't want to shoulder the burden of carrying all of that non-football stuff.

Briles staying at Baylor makes sense.  $4 million a year to play in a new stadium with unlimited job security?  Of course.

If he was offered, I agree with Rusty that he wasn't, he lives and works at in Los Angeles, its safe to say that his quality of live is extremely high. It comes down to what I said a month ago and it is that although UT is a great job, maybe the best, it isn't what the consensus on this board makes it out to be. All of these guys have really good jobs & it is very hard to leave a comfortable situation at a great place.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: January 03, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »
I don't believe for a second that Mora was offered.
I'll go as far as to say I don't think anyone has been offered.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: January 03, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »
Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong, reports Bobby Burton of Horns247.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson appeared to target Strong after whiffing on Nick Saban. Patterson was also known to have interviewed Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but it appears that the Commodores' coach finished runner-up. Yahoo Sports columnist Pat Forde wrote in a column Friday that Strong was "the absolute worst fit for the job" because "he wants to be left alone. That wouldn't fly at Longhorn Network University. If he's hired, you're free to wonder whether the people involved with the search asked the right questions and got the right answers."

Source: Bobby Burton on Twitter

Obviously take with a grain of salt because I have no idea who Bobby Burton is.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1269 on: January 03, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
What kat kid et al. are trying to say is that they think Strong is a good recruiter and player motivator, but not smart enough to get the x's and o's to take a team to the next level.

Its bothersome that they think this way.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: January 03, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »
Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong, reports Bobby Burton of Horns247.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson appeared to target Strong after whiffing on Nick Saban. Patterson was also known to have interviewed Vanderbilt's James Franklin, but it appears that the Commodores' coach finished runner-up. Yahoo Sports columnist Pat Forde wrote in a column Friday that Strong was "the absolute worst fit for the job" because "he wants to be left alone. That wouldn't fly at Longhorn Network University. If he's hired, you're free to wonder whether the people involved with the search asked the right questions and got the right answers."

Source: Bobby Burton on Twitter

Obviously take with a grain of salt because I have no idea who Bobby Burton is.
More media bullshit.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: January 03, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »

Ouch.

If he was offered, I agree with Rusty that he wasn't, he lives and works at in Los Angeles, its safe to say that his quality of live is extremely high. It comes down to what I said a month ago and it is that although UT is a great job, maybe the best, it isn't what the consensus on this board makes it out to be. All of these guys have really good jobs & it is very hard to leave a comfortable situation at a great place.

I don't disagree that staying at UCLA isn't a bad gig.  Less pressure, decent money, nice weather.  I get it.

Maybe I'm making generalizations about the mercenary attitude that accompanies most guys that have coached in the NFL.  I'm probably painting someone like Mora incorrectly.

That said, I'd rather have Franklin.  But maybe he thinks he can get the PSU job, and that's more attractive to him?

Side note: if PSU goes with Al Golden over James Franklin, they deserve every piece of bad fortune that goes with that.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: January 03, 2014, 10:35:33 PM »
What kat kid et al. are trying to say is that they think Strong is a good recruiter and player motivator, but not smart enough to get the x's and o's to take a team to the next level.

Its bothersome that they think this way.
Well I was wondering when this would be brought up.  :surprised: :opcat:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
How much scratch are they going to throw down for their hire?  My gut says 6 mill per. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
How much scratch are they going to throw down for their hire?  My gut says 6 mill per.

With the buyout factored in?