Date: 24/06/24 - 08:02 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Listening to 610 this morning  (Read 3591 times)

January 22, 2010, 10:38:32 AM
Reply #30

Jeffrey_Martin

• Senior Cub

Does anyone honestly think Jeffrey Martin is going to come forward with his information without permission?  That’s all I’ll say.  If Frank or his side was just contently willing to sit back and let it all play out, this stuff would not be coming forward.

It's still a message board, right? Does this mean it's not a rumor anymore? I'm so confused. I thought, according to gpc.com, I was full of sh*t? Weird.

January 22, 2010, 10:41:03 AM
Reply #31

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

This is a far more optimistic, rosy picture than what I have heard from multiple people close to the situation.

In fact from the people I have talked with, Currie’s position is that he does not believe Frank has accomplished enough to merit compensation commensurate with the top half of the league and “doesn’t want to get stuck with another Ron Prince contract situation”.  I have heard this now from two people.

My impressions are twofold:  Currie does not have a firm grasp at one, the level of importance placed on winning men’s basketball by our fans, or two, the level of commitment this fan base has to our coach.

Does anyone honestly think Jeffrey Martin is going to come forward with his information without permission?  That’s all I’ll say.  If Frank or his side was just contently willing to sit back and let it all play out, this stuff would not be coming forward.

We can sit on our hands or we can take the cue and start ramping up the pressure on this administration.  

A bidding war with another school at the end of the season is not going to be of any benefit.

I'm hoping Currie's "I don't think he has accomplished enough" is his reason to wait until the end of the season.  

What many schools will have to realize is if they want to pay Frank the big bucks, they are also going to have to pay the assistants big bucks.  Many schools refuse or don't think assistants deserve to get paid like we are currently paying Dalonte.  Would Martin put his assistants (specifically Dalonte) in a position where he goes from a 400k salary to a 200k salary (if not less)?  

Granted schools can afford it, they just won't do it.  This is when the whole "loyalty topic" comes back into play and something Currie can use when negotiating a new contract for Martin and staff at the end of the season.  

January 22, 2010, 10:44:30 AM
Reply #32

kougar24

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    shame on you, non-believers
LMAO at thinking Currie is some sort of brilliant puppeteer.

Not disagreeing with you, but at this point there's as much evidence to point to this as there is to point to him being totally incompetent. Naturally this won't stop us from discussing it, but it's impossible to judge Currie to one extreme or the other at this point.

Besides, the "Snyder ruins basketball" theory is the one that holds the most water.

January 22, 2010, 10:46:59 AM
Reply #33

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

LMAO at thinking Currie is some sort of brilliant puppeteer.

Not disagreeing with you, but at this point there's as much evidence to point to this as there is to point to him being totally incompetent. Naturally this won't stop us from discussing it, but it's impossible to judge Currie to one extreme or the other at this point.

Besides, the "Snyder ruins basketball" theory is the one that holds the most water.

QFT.  The guy sucks all the basketball power so he can use it to build up one of the worst football programs of all time.

January 22, 2010, 10:52:20 AM
Reply #34

mjrod

• Second String Wildcat

• MJROD Consulting Services, Inc
I've talked with JMart enough to know that when he posts something, people better listen, even if it doesn't sound plausible.  The guy knows K-State about as well as anyone.

It's probably OK now but a few months before the Krause episode, I had a conversation with JMart for about an hour where he said that Krause was shady, or at least some shady stuff was going on.  He didn't go into to many details, but he knew something was wrong.  He asked me not to say anything and I didn't.  Then all hell broke loose.

I am not sure why people think that because Frank was acting all nice on the radio that a different story isn't unfolding behind the scenes.  I know that both sides are negotiating, and I can see both sides having cards to play against the other.

The people that say Frank is in a stronger position are more or less counting on Frank winning something substantial this season.  We went from going top 4 in the conference (like last year at least) to possibly getting a Big 12 Championship trophy and that is realistic.  Frank continues to improve his stock.  Currie is waiting to see if it pans out.   If Frank fails to win the conference this year, does that mean he doesn't deserve a raise?  Of course not.  He could still go to the Final four.   It's to Curries advantage to see what happens as the year progresses.  I agree that you don't double the guy's salary on a single game.  However, Currie knows that Frank = money to the university.  When was the last time we sold out all Big 12 Home games?   The fans love him, the alumni love him, and the media loves him.  Currie will be the last one to give him the love we expect.  Is that a bad thing?  It will be if he doesn't at least demonstrate that he is committed to Frank.

January 22, 2010, 10:56:55 AM
Reply #35

Trim

• Administrator
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    "Tacky" -Kietz
Not disagreeing with you, but at this point there's as much evidence to point to this as there is to point to him being totally incompetent.

Yes there is.  See my signature.

January 22, 2010, 11:02:33 AM
Reply #36

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

I've talked with JMart enough to know that when he posts something, people better listen, even if it doesn't sound plausible.  The guy knows K-State about as well as anyone.

It's probably OK now but a few months before the Krause episode, I had a conversation with JMart for about an hour where he said that Krause was shady, or at least some shady stuff was going on.  He didn't go into to many details, but he knew something was wrong.  He asked me not to say anything and I didn't.  Then all hell broke loose.

I am not sure why people think that because Frank was acting all nice on the radio that a different story isn't unfolding behind the scenes.  I know that both sides are negotiating, and I can see both sides having cards to play against the other.

The people that say Frank is in a stronger position are more or less counting on Frank winning something substantial this season.  We went from going top 4 in the conference (like last year at least) to possibly getting a Big 12 Championship trophy and that is realistic.  Frank continues to improve his stock.  Currie is waiting to see if it pans out.   If Frank fails to win the conference this year, does that mean he doesn't deserve a raise?  Of course not.  He could still go to the Final four.   It's to Curries advantage to see what happens as the year progresses.  I agree that you don't double the guy's salary on a single game.  However, Currie knows that Frank = money to the university.  When was the last time we sold out all Big 12 Home games?   The fans love him, the alumni love him, and the media loves him.  Currie will be the last one to give him the love we expect.  Is that a bad thing?  It will be if he doesn't at least demonstrate that he is committed to Frank.

I would like to think Currie doesn't have the brain capacity of a bird.  Why would he want to give up sold-out crowds and national exposure?  Cause thats what would happen if Frank left.  During the DoD, our enrollment at KSU nearly doubled.  You are lieing to yourself if you think our football success didn't have at least 70% to do with it.  Athletic success = national exposure = more fans = more money.  More money builds nice places for high-level education which eventually gives us more money.

If Currie is this stupid, then so is our President who made the hire.  Which makes me believe the University is &@#%ed as a whole and we should just drop a Nuke and get it over with.

January 22, 2010, 11:03:12 AM
Reply #37

WillieWannabe

• Classless Cat
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    I may be full of sh*t, but i won't be de-turd.
Not disagreeing with you, but at this point there's as much evidence to point to this as there is to point to him being totally incompetent.

OT: what kind of scent are you getting from me, Trim??  :ohno: :ohno:
I walk out of that tunnel in this building and the passion of our fans, just gets me going. I mean just gives me an adrenaline rush that you guys just don't understand. - Frank Martin

January 22, 2010, 11:05:55 AM
Reply #38

Jeffrey_Martin

• Senior Cub

I would like to think Currie doesn't have the brain capacity of a bird.  Why would he want to give up sold-out crowds and national exposure?  Cause thats what would happen if Frank left.  During the DoD, our enrollment at KSU nearly doubled.  You are lieing to yourself if you think our football success didn't have at least 70% to do with it.  Athletic success = national exposure = more fans = more money.  More money builds nice places for high-level education which eventually gives us more money.

If Currie is this stupid, then so is our President who made the hire.  Which makes me believe the University is fracked as a whole and we should just drop a Nuke and get it over with.

http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2009/05/19/sound-familiar/

January 22, 2010, 11:07:21 AM
Reply #39

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb

little nervous myself.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

January 22, 2010, 11:08:47 AM
Reply #40

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

If Currie is this stupid, then so is our President who made the hire.  Which makes me believe the University is fracked as a whole and we should just drop a Nuke and get it over with.

Blogs are blocked at work.  Summarize for me J-Mart?  TIA

January 22, 2010, 11:10:25 AM
Reply #41

Jeffrey_Martin

• Senior Cub

This is what I wrote back in May:

Let me establish this immediately – I like the hire of John Currie as Kansas State’s next athletic director. That said, I believe he has an incredibly difficult job ahead of him, but he’s too smart not to realize that.

Anyway, I couldn’t help but think about Ron Prince during Monday’s introductory festivities.

Here’s what I wrote Dec. 6, 2005:

While it seemed curious when South Florida coach Jim Leavitt, the school’s perceived top target, passed and signed a contract extension to remain in Tampa, K-State wasn’t in the bind it appeared to be. Weiser, vice president for institutional advancement Bob Krause and senior associate athletics director Jim Epps flew to Charlottesville, Va., unbeknownst to anyone, early last week.

“I’ve waited my entire life for this opportunity,” Prince told the three men.

In his hands he held a notebook that detailed his own breakdown of the current K-State roster, including a talent analysis, where the kids were from, prospective coaches, an outline of the first 15 days and much more. In a short amount of time, roughly a day, Prince had prepared a plan of how he’d attack this job.

He was unflappable.

“We asked pretty hard questions, and it’s hard to prepare for what we ask,” Weiser said. “We never tripped him up.”

And this is what I was told Monday by incoming president Kirk Schulz when I asked what separated Currie from the rest of the candidates:

“When John came to the interview, we would say, ‘What would you do in your first six months?’ And he’d say, ‘This is what I’d do,’ and he’d pass out a plan he’d put together. Then we asked him something else, and he’d say, ‘This is what I’d do,’ and he’d pass out another copy.

“Here I am, looking at all of this stuff, thinking, ‘This isn’t a guy that has just sort of thought about this.’ He’d prepared materials, and these were not (of the) ‘if I get an A.D. job’ (variety). We was like, ‘If I’m going to be at K-State, here’s exactly what I’m going to do.

“I left there saying, ‘This is the guy.”

I’m just saying…

January 22, 2010, 11:11:20 AM
Reply #42

5601js

• Cub

I missed that particular blog entry. And now that I've read it, I need a loaded weapon and some alone time.

January 22, 2010, 11:12:04 AM
Reply #43

Skycat

• Cub

No it's not.  Unless he full on punches somebody in the face, he is still going to be worth at the very &@#%ing least whatever the median salary in the Big XII is.  He already has brought the team to the point of selling out the home games.  He already has led the team to two straight top 4 finishes in the league.  He already has developed a team that is playing excellent basketball this season.  In other words, he's already severely underpaid.

The only thing that waiting does is increase Frank's position, and maybe make him more angry.

January 22, 2010, 11:12:44 AM
Reply #44

Trim

• Administrator
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    "Tacky" -Kietz

Can only do these things in person.  We'll invite you to a pak'r and then evaluate you after you leave.

Yes there is.  See my signature.

OT: what kind of scent are you getting from me, Trim??  :ohno: :ohno:

little nervous myself.

I'd hire you.

January 22, 2010, 11:12:53 AM
Reply #45

Bhyaaaaa!

• Cub

• Personal Text
    So freaking board right now
    • imageshack

We've just be out-bindered.

Again.

January 22, 2010, 11:14:22 AM
Reply #46

CerpinTaxt

• Cub

Currie = Prince

oh &@#% us

January 22, 2010, 11:21:47 AM
Reply #47

mjrod

• Second String Wildcat

• MJROD Consulting Services, Inc

Yes, but that evolved over several seasons, this is Franks first season where we've gotten some serious visibility.  He wins the Big 12 Tourney or regular season, puts a trophy in the case, and then goes deep in the NCAA tourney, then Currie really won't have much room.  Everyone that wants a coach will come after him.   Currie will have to scramble to keep everyone else away.    

However, if we go on a 5 game losing streak.. Currie's hand gets stronger.  Doesn't matter that he sold out the games, the fans and alumni will have been disappointed, and Currie can say "Glad I didn't give that guy a bunch of money."

Bottom line, Frank controls his own destiny.  Kinda nice for him, but gets worse for K-State.  At a minimum, Currie needs to make Frank's salary commensurate with the top half of the coaches in the Big 12.. since we've been in this position for the majority of his tenure.

January 22, 2010, 11:23:50 AM
Reply #48

kougar24

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    shame on you, non-believers

Yes, but that evolved over several seasons, this is Franks first season where we've gotten some serious visibility.  He wins the Big 12 Tourney or regular season, puts a trophy in the case, and then goes deep in the NCAA tourney, then Currie really won't have much room.  Everyone that wants a coach will come after him.   Currie will have to scramble to keep everyone else away.    

However, if we go on a 5 game losing streak.. Currie's hand gets stronger.  Doesn't matter that he sold out the games, the fans and alumni will have been disappointed, and Currie can say "Glad I didn't give that guy a bunch of money."

Bottom line, Frank controls his own destiny.  Kinda nice for him, but gets worse for K-State.  At a minimum, Currie needs to make Frank's salary commensurate with the top half of the coaches in the Big 12.. since we've been in this position for the majority of his tenure.

"Majority"? The lowest Frank has ever finished is 4th.

January 22, 2010, 11:27:17 AM
Reply #49

Skycat

• Cub

If we go on a five game losing streak, Frank still deserves the median conference salary.  And look at whatever predictive index you want, we're far more likely to go on a 5 game winning streak than a 5 game losing streak.  

So why wait?  The odds are that waiting is going to do nothing other than strengthening Frank's hand.

January 22, 2010, 11:35:10 AM
Reply #50

~WabashRoll~

• Cub

It's still a message board, right? Does this mean it's not a rumor anymore? I'm so confused. I thought, according to gpc.com, I was full of sh*t? Weird.

The unfortunate part is Fitz is too much of a pussy to rock the boat with the athletic department to cover with the story himself.  So, instead of actually getting this impasse in the contract negotiation out in the open, the spoon fed minions over there that consider GP to be the only legitimate source of K-State related information are completely clueless as to what is occurring behind the scenes right now.

The people that think this is all some sort of wild fabrication are clueless as to what is really at play here between Frank and the Currie right now.

"Just a general question...Anyone else think Brian Smoller sounds like Bob Costas? I've told him that for years and he never believes me". - D. Scott Fritchen

January 22, 2010, 11:38:09 AM
Reply #51

~WabashRoll~

• Cub

It's time for a website boys.

Badke, WildCatzPhreak, let's do this.

And I'm being 100% serious.

"Just a general question...Anyone else think Brian Smoller sounds like Bob Costas? I've told him that for years and he never believes me". - D. Scott Fritchen

January 22, 2010, 11:38:38 AM
Reply #52

5601js

• Cub

The unfortunate part is Fitz is too much of a pussy to rock the boat with the athletic department to cover with the story himself.  So, instead of actually getting this impasse in the contract negotiation out in the open, the spoon fed minions over there that consider GP to be the only legitimate source of K-State related information are completely clueless as to what is occurring behind the scenes right now.

The people that think this is all some sort of wild fabrication are clueless as to what is really at play here between Frank and the Currie right now.

Or maybe he just doesn't have many sources any more. Who knows.

January 22, 2010, 11:39:31 AM
Reply #53

5601js

• Cub

I was thinking the same thing last night. Unfortunately I'm less experienced than a newbie at website stuff.

January 22, 2010, 11:41:31 AM
Reply #54

~WabashRoll~

• Cub

Or maybe he just doesn't have many sources any more. Who knows.

He's got sources.  He's just an enormous pussy that has already been disassociated from the athletic department once and is trying to avoid it for a second time.

Frank's unhappiness over this contract negotiation is no great secret from those with any connection to the athletic department.

January 22, 2010, 11:42:02 AM
Reply #55

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

Considering we are only losing 3 seniors, will Frank be inclined to take a lower raise to stay with the guys that helped him get started (Pullen, Jam Sam, Sutton)?  If Frank were to leave, I would be VERY surprised to see these guys transfer before their senior season.  I would also be VERY surprised to see Frank leave these guys stuck in the mud.  Without these guys, Frank would not be at his current level of success.  Sure McGruds, Judge, Hen-Rob, and Russell can transfer and still have 3 years of eligibility, but Frank knows that if he stays he can do just as well or better next year.  

Maybe this won't have any impact, but as a young D-1 coach I have a feeling Martin might be hesitant to leave a good thing.  Huggins thought he could pull his recruits to WVU, but even though he failed at that he still has a 20 year successful resume to lure in new players.  

Martin could easily think that leaving KSU too soon could be detrimental to his future coaching/career goals.  

I'm just wondering if Currie will pull this card.

January 22, 2010, 11:49:33 AM
Reply #56

KSUBrad

• Cub

JMart, this just pisses me off.  I mean the article itself, yes, but then it reminds me of how worthless our current whoever is at being a "journalist." 

So, here's the deal.  New job, bigger $$$.  Start a site to compete with gpc, move this message board there, charge for it, I would definitely pay, and I'm poor. 

January 22, 2010, 11:52:34 AM
Reply #57

~WabashRoll~

• Cub

I was thinking the same thing last night. Unfortunately I'm less experienced than a newbie at website stuff.

Here's what I'm thinking.  Keep the spin positive in terms of how much K-State fans support Frank Martin.  Check the firejohncurry stuff until he fails to execute the contract.  The main purporse is to keep the pressure as visible and direct as possible on the administration.

Aim this thing at highlighting Frank's accomplishments

- NCAA appearances
- Conference finishes and conference wins
- Fastest coach to win x number of game in x time period since Lon Krueger
- More wins over the top 25 since
- Number of national television appearances
- Etc. Etc.
- Attendance numbers
- Ahearn donation increases
- Etc, Etc,

Then focus on the negative
-  Highlight his ranking in terms of compensation in the Big XII.
-  20 year history prior to Frank Martin - # of home losses to ku, # of consecutive years without post season play, attendance drop-off, etc. etc.
-  John Currie’s extensions for Bill Snyder and Deb Patterson
-  All substantive, documented reports of the ridiculous salary offer – Asutin Meek, etc.

Direct E-mail contacts

On-line petition

This will get a lot of publicity just as hirehuggy and hirepatterson did and again, will keep the focus on pressure directed at the athletic department and the president.

January 22, 2010, 11:55:42 AM
Reply #58

sys

• Second String Wildcat

• Personal Text
    gmafb
Considering we are only losing 3 seniors, will Frank be inclined to take a lower raise to stay with the guys that helped him get started (Pullen, Jam Sam, Sutton)?  If Frank were to leave, I would be VERY surprised to see these guys transfer before their senior season.  I would also be VERY surprised to see Frank leave these guys stuck in the mud.  Without these guys, Frank would not be at his current level of success.  Sure McGruds, Judge, Hen-Rob, and Russell can transfer and still have 3 years of eligibility, but Frank knows that if he stays he can do just as well or better next year.  

Maybe this won't have any impact, but as a young D-1 coach I have a feeling Martin might be hesitant to leave a good thing.  Huggins thought he could pull his recruits to WVU, but even though he failed at that he still has a 20 year successful resume to lure in new players.  

Martin could easily think that leaving KSU too soon could be detrimental to his future coaching/career goals.  

I'm just wondering if Currie will pull this card.

absolutely.  look at his bff.  grant waited for 2 years (i think, can't recall exactly, possible it was just one year) after he was everyone's hot name before he left.  and he wasn't making the money or getting the pub that martin is.  martin will certainly time his departure based on what he is leaving and the attractiveness of the offer.

which makes currie's evil plan somewhat defensible from his own selfish view.  he could def. get away with lowballing martin and skate off elsewhere looking like a champ before martin actually bails at the end of the '10-'11 season.
"these are no longer “games” in the commonly accepted sense of the term. these are free throw shooting contests leavened by the occasional sprint to the other end of the floor."

January 22, 2010, 12:08:49 PM
Reply #59

5601js

• Cub

Here's what I'm thinking.  Keep the spin positive in terms of how much K-State fans support Frank Martin.  Check the firejohncurry stuff until he fails to execute the contract.  The main purporse is to keep the pressure as visible and direct as possible on the administration.

Aim this thing at highlighting Frank's accomplishments

- NCAA appearances
- Conference finishes and conference wins
- Fastest coach to win x number of game in x time period since Lon Krueger
- More wins over the top 25 since
- Number of national television appearances
- Etc. Etc.
- Attendance numbers
- Ahearn donation increases
- Etc, Etc,

Then focus on the negative
-  Highlight his ranking in terms of compensation in the Big XII.
-  20 year history prior to Frank Martin - # of home losses to ku, # of consecutive years without post season play, attendance drop-off, etc. etc.
-  John Currie’s extensions for Bill Snyder and Deb Patterson
-  All substantive, documented reports of the ridiculous salary offer – Asutin Meek, etc.

Direct E-mail contacts

On-line petition

This will get a lot of publicity just as hirehuggy and hirepatterson did and again, will keep the focus on pressure directed at the athletic department and the president.

You've gotta keep it positive, IMO. I like your gameplan.