Date: 24/06/24 - 08:45 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Listening to 610 this morning  (Read 3592 times)

January 22, 2010, 08:44:36 AM
Read 3592 times

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

and they brought up the Frank Martin conversation from yesterday.  Frank is making it sound like hes not too worried about his current contract.  He really doesn't want to deal with it at this point and he is aware he is the lowest paid coach in the Big 12.  Claims he and Currie have a "good and open door" relationship.  He claims they talk about every single aspect of their jobs from contracts, recruiting, future of KSU basketball etc.  Frank claims he loves where he is at and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. 

That being said, Frank would be a smart man to not negotiate a contract until the end of the season.  The longer Frank holds out, the more money he will get in the long run whether it be from KSU or some other college. 

Even the ku homers who do the 610 show this morning were praising the fact that KSU fans were emailing John Currie on how they can help (by donating).  Winning is making the KSU fans anti-up their donations in order to keep quality coaches at the school. 

My prediction:

Currie and Martin are going to wait this contract thing out til' the end of the season each for their own reason.  Martin will wait it out to get more money, and Currie will wait it out to get more donations and to make sure Martin doesn't completely flop.

I'm predicting Currie will get enough pressure and donations from the fanbase that he will give Martin a new contract at the end of the season in the 1.5-2mill range.  If it is lower than that, it will be because a lot of the money will go to assistants per Martin's request.

January 22, 2010, 08:49:34 AM
Reply #1

catsdo

• Cub

I like this thread other than the other one.  Very optimistic. 

January 22, 2010, 08:49:54 AM
Reply #2

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

I think one of the "read between the lines" in what I just posted is Currie and Martin both know that our fanbase will panic thinking that Martin might leave.  Big donors will panic even more by digging up their emergency funds and donating them to ensure Martin stays as head coach.

More donation money = high paid coaches and new practice facilities.  Martin loves new facilities.  New facilities will come faster.

Currie may not be as retarded as we think.  (Praying this is the case)

January 22, 2010, 08:52:20 AM
Reply #3

catsdo

• Cub

Yeah, this is either going to end up with a ton of donations and our beloved coach and AD staying, or we're all screwed and I help run Currie out of town. 

January 22, 2010, 08:53:08 AM
Reply #4

BarryMcCockner

• Cub

and they brought up the Frank Martin conversation from yesterday.  Frank is making it sound like hes not too worried about his current contract.  He really doesn't want to deal with it at this point and he is aware he is the lowest paid coach in the Big 12.  Claims he and Currie have a "good and open door" relationship.  He claims they talk about every single aspect of their jobs from contracts, recruiting, future of KSU basketball etc.  Frank claims he loves where he is at and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. 

That being said, Frank would be a smart man to not negotiate a contract until the end of the season.  The longer Frank holds out, the more money he will get in the long run whether it be from KSU or some other college. 

Even the ku homers who do the 610 show this morning were praising the fact that KSU fans were emailing John Currie on how they can help (by donating).  Winning is making the KSU fans anti-up their donations in order to keep quality coaches at the school. 

My prediction:

Currie and Martin are going to wait this contract thing out til' the end of the season each for their own reason.  Martin will wait it out to get more money, and Currie will wait it out to get more donations and to make sure Martin doesn't completely flop.

I'm predicting Currie will get enough pressure and donations from the fanbase that he will give Martin a new contract at the end of the season in the 1.5-2mill range.  If it is lower than that, it will be because a lot of the money will go to assistants per Martin's request.

JFC.  Someone that isn't stroking out makes a reasonable post.  Best if the big donors are stroking out, though.

January 22, 2010, 08:54:20 AM
Reply #5

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

Its risk/reward for both sides to either do it now or wait.  

Right now everything is in Frank's favor and I have no doubt he/his people used the media/fanbase to send a message to Currie and rally the fanbase.

I think the interesting thing in this will be Dalonte Hill and what happens with him.  Clearly Frank has to know that his salary would be 250-300K (at least) higher if Hill wasn't the highest paid assistant in the country.  Knowing that, will other programs hire them as a package deal and still give Hill 400K?  Its an interesting dyamic to me that makes this thing a little more complicated for both Martin and Currie.  This will also show how much Martin values Hill, will he be willing to let Hill go to get more money?  And for Hill, could he even go anywhere else and get close to what he gets here as an assistant?  I bet for the type or programs that might hire Hill now, he couldn't even get that as a head coach.

This seems to be a point that hasn't even been brought up yet and may be a sticking point for both sides as well.

January 22, 2010, 08:59:54 AM
Reply #6

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

Right now everything is in Frank's favor and I have no doubt he/his people used the media/fanbase to send a message to Currie and rally the fanbase.

I think the interesting thing in this will be Dalonte Hill and what happens with him.  Clearly Frank has to know that his salary would be 250-300K (at least) higher if Hill wasn't the highest paid assistant in the country.  Knowing that, will other programs hire them as a package deal and still give Hill 400K?  Its an interesting dyamic to me that makes this thing a little more complicated for both Martin and Currie.  This will also show how much Martin values Hill, will he be willing to let Hill go to get more money?  And for Hill, could he even go anywhere else and get close to what he gets here as an assistant?  I bet for the type or programs that might hire Hill now, he couldn't even get that as a head coach.

This seems to be a point that hasn't even been brought up yet and may be a sticking point for both sides as well.

Good point. 

Without Hill's pipeline we would not be as successful as we are.  We are an extremely athletic team.  Martin's coaching is great don't get me wrong, but we have the right guys in the system.   I think Martin knows how valuable Hill is to a team and his own coaching success, which is why I think Martin will get a raise at the end of the season but so will the assistants.  Many people will probably critisize the raise, but in the end Martin knows he wouldn't be as successful without Mr. Dalonte Hill.

January 22, 2010, 09:02:39 AM
Reply #7

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.

I think the interesting thing in this will be Dalonte Hill and what happens with him.  Clearly Frank has to know that his salary would be 250-300K (at least) higher if Hill wasn't the highest paid assistant in the country.  Knowing that, will other programs hire them as a package deal and still give Hill 400K?  Its an interesting dyamic to me that makes this thing a little more complicated for both Martin and Currie.  This will also show how much Martin values Hill, will he be willing to let Hill go to get more money?  And for Hill, could he even go anywhere else and get close to what he gets here as an assistant?  I bet for the type or programs that might hire Hill now, he couldn't even get that as a head coach.

Maybe Currie should wait until Quinn Cook cuts his school list to determine what to do w/ Dalonte.

January 22, 2010, 09:05:30 AM
Reply #8

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

Good point. 

Without Hill's pipeline we would not be as successful as we are.  We are an extremely athletic team.  Martin's coaching is great don't get me wrong, but we have the right guys in the system.   I think Martin knows how valuable Hill is to a team and his own coaching success, which is why I think Martin will get a raise at the end of the season but so will the assistants.  Many people will probably critisize the raise, but in the end Martin knows he wouldn't be as successful without Mr. Dalonte Hill.

This simply can't be thrown out.

Frank was hired in part b/c of the package deal with Dalonte Hill.  Without Hill, Frank is an assistant at WVU right now.

Frank's salary is lowest in the Big 12 right now in part b/c Dalonte Hill is the highest paid assistant in the country.  Only so much money can go to the basketball staff.  Again, even if Dalonte was just a high paid assisant at say 200K, Frank is sitting at $1Mil right now.

Frank has had the success he's had, in part, b/c of this arrangement.  If it was just Frank, there would be no Pullen.  No Sutton.  No Jam-Sam.  No McGruder.  No Wally.  And probably a few others.  

January 22, 2010, 09:07:24 AM
Reply #9

5601js

• Cub

As others have posted, I think it'll happen after the year as well.
And doing so is a risk/reward from both sides.

Neither Currie or Martin has given anyone any indication of any animosity or lack of communication between the two sides, so I'll take that and run with it and assume Martin isn't ready to melt Currie with his stare.

I could be wrong, but that's what I'm choosing to believe. Now I'm going to go and insert my head in the sand until it's over.

January 22, 2010, 09:08:13 AM
Reply #10

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

Good point. 

Frank was hired in part b/c of the package deal with Dalonte Hill.  Without Hill, Frank is an assistant at WVU right now.

Frank's salary is lowest in the Big 12 right now in part b/c Dalonte Hill is the highest paid assistant in the country.  Only so much money can go to the basketball staff.  Again, even if Dalonte was just a high paid assisant at say 200K, Frank is sitting at $1Mil right now.

Frank has had the success he's had, in part, b/c of this arrangement.  If it was just Frank, there would be no Pullen.  No Sutton.  No Jam-Sam.  No McGruder.  No Wally.  And probably a few others.  

Not to mention a 2nd overall pick in the NBA draft gives us nice publicity whether Mary Jane is involved or not.

January 22, 2010, 09:09:02 AM
Reply #11

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
Neither Currie or Martin has given anyone any indication of any animosity or lack of communication between the two sides

They absolutely have
<---------Click the ball

January 22, 2010, 09:10:34 AM
Reply #12

sonofdaxjones

• All American

I was told that Frank was extremely quick to correct the 610 guy, whatever his name is, that he's not the 11th lowest paid coach in the conference . . . he's the lowest paid coach in the conference. 

January 22, 2010, 09:12:11 AM
Reply #13

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

Good point. 

Not to mention a 2nd overall pick in the NBA draft gives us nice publicity whether Mary Jane is involved or not.

I'm not even factoring that in, but it is true.  I'm simply talking about where we are right now and the success Frank has had since his first season "on his own".

January 22, 2010, 09:13:49 AM
Reply #14

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

I was told that Frank was extremely quick to correct the 610 guy, whatever his name is, that he's not the 11th lowest paid coach in the conference . . . he's the lowest paid coach in the conference. 

He did.  But his tone wasn't "I'm really ticked off about it", more of "I understand why, but it needs to change".  I didn't think anything he said in that interview was alarming in the least.

January 22, 2010, 09:14:39 AM
Reply #15

Pett

• Premium Member
  • Junior Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Hey, basketball!!!

This is terrible, just terrible. :angry: :'(

January 22, 2010, 09:20:24 AM
Reply #16

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

This is terrible, just terrible. :angry: :'(

He was quick to correct the 610 guy, but it wasn't in a negative manner at all.  Like ksu_Fan said, more or less a "I know why I'm getting paid low, and it needs to change."  Martin also talked throughout the interview like it wasn't a concern that it had to be changed this week and he and Currie have talked about contracts. 

Neither Currie or Martin are going to come out saying they are trying to negotiate a new contract.  That will take away from the "we need more donors" plot that Currie is trying to stir up.

January 22, 2010, 09:22:42 AM
Reply #17

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
Neither Currie or Martin are going to come out saying they are trying to negotiate a new contract.  That will take away from the "we need more donors" plot that Currie is trying to stir up.

This is my favorite "everything is OK" theory, by far.

LMAO at thinking Currie is some sort of brilliant puppeteer.

January 22, 2010, 09:25:28 AM
Reply #18

ksu_FAN

• Second String Wildcat

I'm not saying that.  I think its clear Martin/Katz have the upper hand right now.  But I think if Currie has any intellegence all, he can use this fan mobilization and say "put your money where your mouth is".  I don't care if it just fell into his lap, now he can take it an run with it, and I think at least in part he is.

January 22, 2010, 09:27:31 AM
Reply #19

5601js

• Cub

Neither Currie or Martin has given anyone any indication of any animosity or lack of communication between the two sides

They absolutely have

I meant in a published source. If they did, then I must have missed it, and that's a possibility.

January 22, 2010, 09:29:06 AM
Reply #20

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

I agree that it sounds ridiculous, but past events have proved otherwise.  Remember the donors who flopped their checkbooks out to ensure Prince was fired after the ku game?  Desparate measures call for desparate times.  Don't look pass the idea that Currie doesn't know our major donors won't write blank checks to ensure the success of KSU basketball.  The generation that got to see KSU's bball success are the ones that donate.  From what I hear they are enjoying our rise back to the top.

January 22, 2010, 09:30:49 AM
Reply #21

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
I agree that it sounds ridiculous, but past events have proved otherwise.  Remember the donors who flopped their checkbooks out to ensure Prince was fired after the ku game? 

The Prince firing is possibly the worst example of "rallying the troops" you could come up with.  We're still getting f*cked financially by that decision.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:32:50 AM by michigancat »

January 22, 2010, 09:31:58 AM
Reply #22

purplepowerman

• Cub

My prediction:

Well said,  :thumbsup: totally agree

January 22, 2010, 09:36:09 AM
Reply #23

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

I agree that it sounds ridiculous, but past events have proved otherwise.  Remember the donors who flopped their checkbooks out to ensure Prince was fired after the ku game? 

The Prince firing is possibly the worst example of "rallying the troops" you could come up with.  We're still getting f*cked financially by that decision.

Nobody knew that Prince and Krause had a consensual &@#% fest before he was fired.  That would have happend whether the alumni helped get Prince fired or not.

January 22, 2010, 09:37:46 AM
Reply #24

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text

Nobody knew that Prince and Krause had a consensual frack fest before he was fired.  That would have happend whether the alumni helped get Prince fired or not.

We got f*cked even without the secret buyout.

January 22, 2010, 09:43:05 AM
Reply #25

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

Nobody knew that Prince and Krause had a consensual frack fest before he was fired.  That would have happend whether the alumni helped get Prince fired or not.

We got f*cked even without the secret buyout.

Point is, fanbase wanted Prince fired so the Alumni dropped blank checks on Wefald's desk.  Now considering we are trying to keep a good coach rather than get a bad one fired, I think the Alums will have an easier time throwing down their checkbooks.   

January 22, 2010, 09:43:49 AM
Reply #26

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
Point is, fanbase wanted Prince fired so the Alumni dropped blank checks on Wefald's desk.

I have seen no evidence of this.

January 22, 2010, 09:50:38 AM
Reply #27

WildcatNkilt

• Cub

Point is, fanbase wanted Prince fired so the Alumni dropped blank checks on Wefald's desk.

I have seen no evidence of this.

You're not going to "see evidence."  Wefald himself said he was pressured to fire Prince early from "some of KSU's larger boosters."

January 22, 2010, 09:55:44 AM
Reply #28

~WabashRoll~

• Cub

This is a far more optimistic, rosy picture than what I have heard from multiple people close to the situation.

In fact from the people I have talked with, Currie’s position is that he does not believe Frank has accomplished enough to merit compensation commensurate with the top half of the league and “doesn’t want to get stuck with another Ron Prince contract situation”.  I have heard this now from two people.

My impressions are twofold:  Currie does not have a firm grasp at one, the level of importance placed on winning men’s basketball by our fans, or two, the level of commitment this fan base has to our coach.

Does anyone honestly think Jeffrey Martin is going to come forward with his information without permission?  That’s all I’ll say.  If Frank or his side was just contently willing to sit back and let it all play out, this stuff would not be coming forward.

We can sit on our hands or we can take the cue and start ramping up the pressure on this administration.  

A bidding war with another school at the end of the season is not going to be of any benefit.

"Just a general question...Anyone else think Brian Smoller sounds like Bob Costas? I've told him that for years and he never believes me". - D. Scott Fritchen

January 22, 2010, 10:36:23 AM
Reply #29

Olivia Neutron Bomb

• Cub

Good point. 

+1

Hill is a key to this puzzle.