Date: 04/06/24 - 20:14 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: We can't have it both ways  (Read 7681 times)

January 21, 2010, 11:10:05 AM
Read 7681 times

Olivia Neutron Bomb

• Cub

OK, watching the Baylor game was a study in contrast.  Bramlage Monday night compared to Phag Allen last night when ku played Baylor was night and day different, which led to some thoughts people here may know more about than I do:
1.  We let students have seats around the entire court at Bramlage, giving it the awesomeness that is making a name for K-State nationwide.
2.  ku basically sells it's courtside seats to outsiders, who pay a growing premium to get those seats.  One of the results is that ku has a much larger revenue stream from basketball than does K-State, but they get that money at the expense of atmosphere.  ku will try to glorify that mausoleum as being one of the best basketball venues in the country, but I don't buy it.  They've sold their soul for money.

So, I've heard suggestions that we do something similar to ku to raise money to pay Frank Martin and his staff more money for the success they've brought to the program.  Thoughts on this apparent trade-off?

January 21, 2010, 11:14:32 AM
Reply #1

kcchiefdav

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I think therefore I think I'm hungry
There are lots of ways to increase revenue. One way would be to stop selling tix to young alumni and Alumni association members for 60 bucks for the season.

January 21, 2010, 11:21:12 AM
Reply #2

0709CatGrad

• Cub

There are lots of ways to increase revenue. One way would be to stop selling tix to young alumni and Alumni association members for 60 bucks for the season.

They are cheap but not that cheap.  I bought young alum last year and paid $150 plus $30 handle fee.  I also think the young alumni seats are limited in number.

January 21, 2010, 11:24:39 AM
Reply #3

mikeycat

• Cub

agreed....the whiners here complain about high prices, yet they want big salaries.   And I guarantee most of them don't give a dime beyond the ticket price.

January 21, 2010, 11:24:54 AM
Reply #4

catsdo

• Cub

If young alumni tickets are supposed to be 60 bucks then I've been getting screwed bigtime.

January 21, 2010, 11:25:52 AM
Reply #5

catsdo

• Cub

OK, watching the Baylor game was a study in contrast.  Bramlage Monday night compared to Phag Allen last night when ku played Baylor was night and day different, which led to some thoughts people here may know more about than I do:
1.  We let students have seats around the entire court at Bramlage, giving it the awesomeness that is making a name for K-State nationwide.
2.  ku basically sells it's courtside seats to outsiders, who pay a growing premium to get those seats.  One of the results is that ku has a much larger revenue stream from basketball than does K-State, but they get that money at the expense of atmosphere.  ku will try to glorify that mausoleum as being one of the best basketball venues in the country, but I don't buy it.  They've sold their soul for money.

So, I've heard suggestions that we do something similar to ku to raise money to pay Frank Martin and his staff more money for the success they've brought to the program.  Thoughts on this apparent trade-off?

We need money, but changing the student section in any way would totally blow imo.

January 21, 2010, 11:28:01 AM
Reply #6

Bookcat

• Scout Team Wildcat

We need money, but changing the student section in any way would totally blow imo.

The student section is way larger than most big time programs...and if we're going to be big time we need big time seats to sell. Time for the waiting lists.... At ku, forget about being able to buy GA student ticket unless you're a senior.
"You guys want answers that are conversations between John and I. I ain't worried about it. I'm living the dream.... When I start worrying about a contract, I'd be cheating the kids and not doing my job." - Frank Martin

January 21, 2010, 11:33:52 AM
Reply #7

catsdo

• Cub

The student section is way larger than most big time programs...and if we're going to be big time we need big time seats to sell. Time for the waiting lists.... At ku, forget about being able to buy GA student ticket unless you're a senior.

Yeah it would be great to decrease the student attendance and add old people who don't cheer.   :rolleyes:

January 21, 2010, 11:34:52 AM
Reply #8

Dino

• Cub

I'd disagree, I think we can make enough money while still having the students where they are. For starters our students pay some of the highest student ticket cost in the country.

Also, Frank makes the same Wolly did. So if our basketball program could afford Wolly when he was putting under half as many people in the stands you think they could give Frank a raise with the current seating arrangement.

Another way of making more money would be upping the cost of advertisement since we are on national TV 6 or 7 times a year. Has anyone thought of adding an advertisers name in front of Bramlage. And lets just raise the ticket cost for the people who have money. I doubt raising the cost of the seats across from the students is going to run any of those people off. Just some ideas.

January 21, 2010, 11:42:53 AM
Reply #9

thebigchuckbowski

• Cub

Take all the courtside media and put them in the rafters or in the open spaces at the ends of the court where a void of nothingness exists for no reason.

Sell those new seats that just opened for top dollar.

January 21, 2010, 11:44:31 AM
Reply #10

FHSU92

• Premium Member
  • Senior Cub

I think we should decrease the # of rows for students and have them spread over to the tunnel & put GA above them (say >row 25).  It keeps them up close, but allows the AD to sell more tix for more $$.  In otherwords, sell that last few rows for those sections as GA and then charge a base $50/ticket for all other ticket sections that are currently fee-less.

January 21, 2010, 11:44:35 AM
Reply #11

kcchiefdav

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I think therefore I think I'm hungry

Sorry, that should have been $160. If you're a young alum and an alumni association member, you get 20 bucks off that 180. Its like less than 10 bucks a game.

January 21, 2010, 11:46:11 AM
Reply #12

Bookcat

• Scout Team Wildcat

Yeah it would be great to decrease the student attendance and add old people who don't cheer.   :rolleyes:

that's not what I'm advocating...I'm just saying our student section is one of the largest and takes up far more seating than UNC, Duke, ku, Kentucky, and its not even an argument.

And yeah, the old people aren't near as into it and loud as the students but they WILL cheer for a winner...and that is what we experienced Monday. Even the old folks in sec. 5-6-7 were making noise.....and will for the forseeable future. We're going to be a good team for quite a while*

*as long as Currie-Martin pans out
"You guys want answers that are conversations between John and I. I ain't worried about it. I'm living the dream.... When I start worrying about a contract, I'd be cheating the kids and not doing my job." - Frank Martin

January 21, 2010, 11:46:32 AM
Reply #13

Skipper44

• Cub

• Personal Text
    appreciates fine art
Take all the courtside media and put them in the rafters

:hanged:         :hanged:
    ^                 ^
Kellis               Fitz

January 21, 2010, 11:49:37 AM
Reply #14

mikeycat

• Cub

KSU student tickets are not among the highest priced in the country.

January 21, 2010, 11:50:28 AM
Reply #15

Guscat

• Cub

We have to trust Currie to do the right thing by Frank and his staff, and believe he will.  Hope he's reading this thread and getting on the revenue production yesterday.

January 21, 2010, 11:56:05 AM
Reply #16

catsdo

• Cub

that's not what I'm advocating...I'm just saying our student section is one of the largest and takes up far more seating than UNC, Duke, ku, Kentucky, and its not even an argument.

And yeah, the old people aren't near as into it and loud as the students but they WILL cheer for a winner...and that is what we experienced Monday. Even the old folks in sec. 5-6-7 were making noise.....and will for the forseeable future. We're going to be a good team for quite a while*

*as long as Currie-Martin pans out

I understand that our student section is one of the largest in the nation.  The media hasn't stopped talking about how big and amazing it is.  I think making it smaller or changing it should be a last resort.

January 21, 2010, 12:05:47 PM
Reply #17

The Kaiser

• Cub

without cash to pay a staff = 1992 KSU basketball.

Sorry students, you may pay a high price, but you also sit mid-court.  Make everyone happy, move the students to the end with cheaper tix, sell midcourt tix at a premium, sell a reduced number of student tix at midcourt at a premium (or at the same price but FCFS), move the media to the other end (tunnel) and be done.

Oh, and sell beer, at least outside the stadium in the parking lots or something, then you would see the revenues skyrocket.

January 21, 2010, 12:09:35 PM
Reply #18

catsdo

• Cub

without cash to pay a staff = 1992 KSU basketball.

Sorry students, you may pay a high price, but you also sit mid-court.  Make everyone happy, move the students to the end with cheaper tix, sell midcourt tix at a premium, sell a reduced number of student tix at midcourt at a premium (or at the same price but FCFS), move the media to the other end (tunnel) and be done.

Let's just get rid of the students.  Who needs a good atmosphere when there's a chance to make money?

January 21, 2010, 12:15:03 PM
Reply #19

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
I think we're ignoring the whole underdog aspect of things.  Once we are no longer the underdog, the fans just won't be as vicious.  That's when we go for the cash w/ seating.

January 21, 2010, 12:16:23 PM
Reply #20

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
I think we're ignoring the whole underdog aspect of things.  Once we are no longer the underdog, the fans just won't be as vicious.  That's when we go for the cash w/ seating.

great insight dude (??)
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

January 21, 2010, 12:16:45 PM
Reply #21

Skydog

• Cub

Uh, you are incredibly wrong.

January 21, 2010, 12:21:32 PM
Reply #22

KSUWizard

• Cub

Uh, you are incredibly wrong.

I agree with you, getting rid of the students is very wrong.  Have you forgot that this is a higher learning institution.  Student tuition pays for most everything.  This isn't the NBA.  Taking care of the students should be numero uno and I think that KSU has done an excellent job at it. 

"Never underestimate stupid people in large groups."

January 21, 2010, 12:23:22 PM
Reply #23

ednksu

• Cub

anyone who advocates moving students out of 19,20,21 is a &@#%ing idiot.  Make ICAT the way it was.  Charge significantly more, go BACK to reserved seating and raise the rest of the seats 15%-20%.  More then enough for raises and faculties.
Be a winner today

January 21, 2010, 12:23:47 PM
Reply #24

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
I think we're ignoring the whole underdog aspect of things.  Once we are no longer the underdog, the fans just won't be as vicious.  That's when we go for the cash w/ seating.

great insight dude (??)

thanks

January 21, 2010, 12:25:39 PM
Reply #25

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.

great insight dude (??)

thanks

if you are correct, we can perhaps bring back the halftime pizza contest to keep the crowd fired up.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

January 21, 2010, 12:28:09 PM
Reply #26

Andy

• Cub

• Personal Text
    KSU '06 Alum

was $100 when huggs was here, which was my first young alum yr.  its gone up every season, i fully expect to pay $200+ next yr which is still a great deal.  Was kinda surprised they extended the young alum thing from 3 yrs to 5 yrs. 

no matter how you look at this, theres so much untapped revenue out there, $ can't be the reason this doesn't get done unless our new AD is just incredibly lazy and stupid.

January 21, 2010, 12:31:34 PM
Reply #27

D-Rock

• Cub

The students should be left where they are at and with the same amount of tickets.  Makes the atmosphere better for everyone (except for maybe those who dislike obscenities being chanted).

January 21, 2010, 12:31:59 PM
Reply #28

Skydog

• Cub

anyone who advocates moving students out of 19,20,21 is a fracking idiot.  Make ICAT the way it was.  Charge significantly more, go BACK to reserved seating and raise the rest of the seats 15%-20%.  More then enough for raises and faculties.
icat used to be reserve seating?

January 21, 2010, 12:32:16 PM
Reply #29

KSUWizard

• Cub

was $100 when huggs was here, which was my first young alum yr.  its gone up every season, i fully expect to pay $200+ next yr which is still a great deal.  Was kinda surprised they extended the young alum thing from 3 yrs to 5 yrs. 

no matter how you look at this, theres so much untapped revenue out there, $ can't be the reason this doesn't get done unless our new AD is just incredibly lazy and stupid.

If you don't take care of the young alumni then they won't write the checks when they become old alumni.

"Never underestimate stupid people in large groups."