Date: 28/03/24 - 10:48 AM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Who is on the conference call . . . .  (Read 10406 times)

August 07, 2009, 05:50:44 AM
Reply #30

LynchMob2007

• Premium Member
  • Cub

could someone ask Currie if he knows of a good plumber in Pratt?  Thanks.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Am I missing something here? I'm from Pratt.

August 07, 2009, 07:22:30 AM
Reply #31

sonofdaxjones

• All American

August 07, 2009, 07:53:44 AM
Reply #32

Trim

• Administrator
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    "Tacky" -Kietz
I don't like Currie.

Why . .  just curious.

Bad vibe.  Feel like his strategy (perhaps dictated to him by prez) is "I can pacify these rubes by talking about   blackberries and twitter and transparency for quite a while".  And he's probably right.  The whole thing seems very RP-ish when it comes to talking instead of doing.  Maybe I'm just that traumatized from the RP era.  Of course, I was right about him from jump...

August 07, 2009, 08:28:23 AM
Reply #33

sonofdaxjones

• All American

I don't like Currie.

Why . .  just curious.

Bad vibe.  Feel like his strategy (perhaps dictated to him by prez) is "I can pacify these rubes by talking about   blackberries and twitter and transparency for quite a while".  And he's probably right.  The whole thing seems very RP-ish when it comes to talking instead of doing.  Maybe I'm just that traumatized from the RP era.  Of course, I was right about him from jump...

That's a good point . . . that being said, he's only been on the job since June 8th, he didn't exactly walk into the best situation.  He's in the middle of trying to fight a ridiculous employment contract done by his predecessor.  He has to deal with putting another long time worthless athletic department administrator who was given yet another ridiculous employment contract by his predecessor on administrative leave and then deciding what to do with the guy.  He had to can the Business Manager and hire a new one, he's had to try and restore faith in an athletic department that's had one mis-step after another.   He has to deal with an athletic department that was running millions of dollars in the black 2 years ago, to now running a budget deficit in the midst of the worst economic times in 70 years.  

He walked in and immediately had to start implementing entire business process changes as dictated to him by the President and the Board of Regents.   Then to to top it all off, he's had to deal with the, "Why do I have to pay handling charges on tickets" crowd, and the, "I've been a season ticket holder for 149 years and only 10 rows back you're selling season tickets for $99 dollars," people.   Then he's trying to reach out to people, many of whom I still think don't know how to react to a K-State AD who you know, actually wants to talk to them, particularly people in KC, who have seen Currie more times in 3 months than they saw Tim Weiser in 3 years.   Then to top it all off there's still the lingering issues of the old school, lets do everything behind closed doors, lets not talk to anybody or tell anybody anything influences that you know are still around . . . basically the same mindset that got us secret deals with Ron Prince, and $500K loans to athletic directors so he could buy some land to drive his King Ranch Ford F-150 out to and shoot pheasants and then sit by the campfire that night and order pleather jackets on his Blackberry.

But you're exactly right, if by August of 2010, all we hear from John Currie is the same old, "twitter, blackberry, family . . . blah, blah, blah line." line.  With no discernible progress on things like facility improvements and financial improvements and real fund raising.    Then we probably do have nothing but White Ron Prince on our hands.   If by 2011 it comes out that K-State athletics still has significant problems, and Currie says, "we knew all along that was going to happen, we're preparing for 2012 and beyond."  Then yes, you're point is well made, if you hear, "we wanted to build a run and hit athletic department, that's bold and daring."  Then yes, you're spot on.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:36:58 AM by sonofdaxjones »

August 07, 2009, 09:26:23 AM
Reply #34

BeaumontCat1%

• Premium Member
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    One Percenter

Bad vibe.  Feel like his strategy (perhaps dictated to him by prez) is "I can pacify these rubes by talking about   blackberries and twitter and transparency for quite a while".  And he's probably right.  The whole thing seems very RP-ish when it comes to talking instead of doing.  Maybe I'm just that traumatized from the RP era.  Of course, I was right about him from jump...

So what do you want him to talk about?  It seems to me that he is not just talking about twitter and blackberries.  He has removed a couple of guys, which was way past due, and he's done everything I can think of to assure the donors that secret deals are no longer being made and the Wefald/Krause spending-spree is over.  He has done a hell of a job of trying to get some football tickets sold.

He has put a hold on facilities projects, but has said they are still going to be as aggressive as they can under the current circumstances.  I agree that it has only been talk so far with regard to facilities, but I'm not sure what else he can do other than talk when the bank account is empty.

I agree that it's way too early to crown him the next Jeremy Foley or Joe Castiglione, but the fact that he seems to be the polar opposite of Tim Weiser is enough to get me excited.  Of course, we'll see how things progress from here and the ultimate gauge of his success will be if he is able to increase income and hire good coaches.

August 08, 2009, 09:17:47 AM
Reply #35

Trim

• Administrator
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    "Tacky" -Kietz

So what do you want him to talk about?  It seems to me that he is not just talking about twitter and blackberries.  He has removed a couple of guys, which was way past due, and he's done everything I can think of to assure the donors that secret deals are no longer being made and the Wefald/Krause spending-spree is over.  He has done a hell of a job of trying to get some football tickets sold.

He has put a hold on facilities projects, but has said they are still going to be as aggressive as they can under the current circumstances.  I agree that it has only been talk so far with regard to facilities, but I'm not sure what else he can do other than talk when the bank account is empty.

I agree that it's way too early to crown him the next Jeremy Foley or Joe Castiglione, but the fact that he seems to be the polar opposite of Tim Weiser is enough to get me excited.  Of course, we'll see how things progress from here and the ultimate gauge of his success will be if he is able to increase income and hire good coaches.

Part of the problem is I'm really smart, so almost anyone who has to communicate to bulk KSU fans is going to sound very condescending to me.

August 08, 2009, 09:23:07 AM
Reply #36

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

Bad vibe.  Feel like his strategy (perhaps dictated to him by prez) is "I can pacify these rubes by talking about   blackberries and twitter and transparency for quite a while".  And he's probably right.  The whole thing seems very RP-ish when it comes to talking instead of doing.  Maybe I'm just that traumatized from the RP era.  Of course, I was right about him from jump...

So what do you want him to talk about?  It seems to me that he is not just talking about twitter and blackberries.  He has removed a couple of guys, which was way past due, and he's done everything I can think of to assure the donors that secret deals are no longer being made and the Wefald/Krause spending-spree is over.  He has done a hell of a job of trying to get some football tickets sold.

He has put a hold on facilities projects, but has said they are still going to be as aggressive as they can under the current circumstances.  I agree that it has only been talk so far with regard to facilities, but I'm not sure what else he can do other than talk when the bank account is empty.

I agree that it's way too early to crown him the next Jeremy Foley or Joe Castiglione, but the fact that he seems to be the polar opposite of Tim Weiser is enough to get me excited.  Of course, we'll see how things progress from here and the ultimate gauge of his success will be if he is able to increase income and hire good coaches.

Part of the problem is I'm really smart, so almost anyone who has to communicate to bulk KSU fans is going to sound very condescending to me.

great post imo
<---------Click the ball

August 08, 2009, 10:39:36 AM
Reply #37

Legore

• Premium Member
  • Cub

I don't like Currie.

Why . .  just curious.

I don't get the Prince vibe off him at all.  I never bought into Prince's line of BS it always seemed fake to me from the first time I heard him talk.  Now I'll admit I bought in a little bit after he beat Texas the second time I started thinking there may be something behind all that BS he spews after all.   With Currie I feel like he's saying the right things but there is substance behind what he is saying.  The problem with Prince was never what he was saying it was that there was no substance behind any of it.  He had the huge ego and always talked about himself and  how great he was and the entire thing just reeked of insecurity to me.   The most important differences I see between he and Prince are that Currie is qualified for this job based on his position and experience at Tennessee and he hasn't spent any time talking about how great he it or all the great things he's done.     

August 08, 2009, 11:03:04 AM
Reply #38

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
I think the way he structured and marketed football tickets is a great example of actually doing something, and doing it well.

August 08, 2009, 11:30:24 AM
Reply #39

Trim

• Administrator
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    "Tacky" -Kietz
I think the way he structured and marketed football tickets is a great example of actually doing something, and doing it well.

I want a basketball practice facility.

August 08, 2009, 11:40:43 AM
Reply #40

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

Good news then because I plan on buying a powerball ticket today.
<---------Click the ball

August 08, 2009, 11:58:40 AM
Reply #41

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text

getting more people to go to football games might be a good start.  who knows, though?  :dunno:

August 08, 2009, 02:05:34 PM
Reply #42

CaptainCrap

• Cub

It was Currie who did the marketing? It was Currie who thought up all the price points and incentives? Really? OK.

Hypothetical situation — what if there are lots of people in the AthDept that are working really hard, and for the first time in yeeeaaarss don't have a couple of Creativity Roadblocks up on top of them? In this hypothetical situation I would say Currie deserves credit for allowing people to do their jobs, but don't I don't think he deserves credit for thinking up and implementing everything that has happened in the last few months, especially the ticket stuff.

August 08, 2009, 02:24:15 PM
Reply #43

kcchiefdav

• Cub

• Personal Text
    I think therefore I think I'm hungry

It was Currie who did the marketing? It was Currie who thought up all the price points and incentives? Really? OK.

Hypothetical situation — what if there are lots of people in the AthDept that are working really hard, and for the first time in yeeeaaarss don't have a couple of Creativity Roadblocks up on top of them? In this hypothetical situation I would say Currie deserves credit for allowing people to do their jobs, but don't I don't think he deserves credit for thinking up and implementing everything that has happened in the last few months, especially the ticket stuff.

Thank god you're here to fight the world's injustices.

August 08, 2009, 02:51:26 PM
Reply #44

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment

Interesting take.  What would you say, hypothetically, would be the biggest changes to the positive and negative with the new regime?
<---------Click the ball

August 08, 2009, 03:04:22 PM
Reply #45

Trim

• Administrator
  • Cub

• Personal Text
    "Tacky" -Kietz

getting more people to go to football games might be a good start.  who knows, though?  :dunno:

All summer, they've been going on and on about how all fans should know that their donations are being used for the intended purpose.  During the first live chat, after Currie side-stepped a few questions/comments about the hoop facility and reiterated family reunion, transparency, Ask John, etc., I chatted that I wanted my already-made, audit-be-damned hoops donation to go towards the practice facility.  No response.  :dunno:

Whatever.  I just have a bad first impression of him.  I'm kind of a dick.

I'll wait 'til at least October before I star wearing a Fire Currie shirt.  :thumbsup:

August 08, 2009, 04:31:25 PM
Reply #46

steve dave

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    Romantic Fist Attachment
I'll wait 'til at least October before I star wearing a Fire Currie shirt.  :thumbsup:

Nice.  Timeline and everything for me to beat Trim to the punch.  Hey keitzman, I'll show you tacky.
<---------Click the ball

August 08, 2009, 04:36:13 PM
Reply #47

BMWJhawk

Might have to wait a while for that one.

August 08, 2009, 05:16:36 PM
Reply #48

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text

JFC, that's what good managers do.  Who cares whose idea it was?  Do you really expect him to generate every good idea and then do all the work to make the good ideas happen all by himself?  Because that's really stupid.  He'll get the blame for any significant bad ideas in the future, too, FWIW.  Not the moron that came up with the bad idea years ago but couldn't because Krause didn't let it happen.

The bottom line is something got done under his watch that wouldn't/couldn't get done previously.

All summer, they've been going on and on about how all fans should know that their donations are being used for the intended purpose.  During the first live chat, after Currie side-stepped a few questions/comments about the hoop facility and reiterated family reunion, transparency, Ask John, etc., I chatted that I wanted my already-made, audit-be-damned hoops donation to go towards the practice facility.  No response.  :dunno:

Whatever.  I just have a bad first impression of him.  I'm kind of a dick.

That make sense.  I agree the whole "your money goes to student athletes" was dumb.