Date: 22/05/24 - 23:18 PM   48060 Topics and 694399 Posts

Author Topic: Guys that went to Law School ?'s  (Read 4472 times)

June 27, 2006, 09:46:48 AM
Read 4472 times

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
    You can't be racist and like basketball.
AZCat, Slimz, etc.

1)  How poor do you get?
2)  How long does it take?
3)  Do you like being a lawyer?

tiagrcoatbi

June 27, 2006, 10:24:48 AM
Reply #1

chum1

• Scout Team Wildcat

Programs are typically three years.  ku has a program you can complete in three summers and two years (at least they did a few years ago).  I only considered it and didn't go.

June 27, 2006, 10:26:36 AM
Reply #2

pissclams

• Administrator
  • All American

• Personal Text
    (worst non-premium poster at ksufans.com)
I only considered it and didn't go.

Loser

I think uMKC's program is the cheapest around, if you're worried about the cost.
I took the LSAT, fun times.   :sleep:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

June 27, 2006, 10:29:23 AM
Reply #3

Saulbadguy

June 27, 2006, 10:43:43 AM
Reply #4

chum1

• Scout Team Wildcat

Loser

You misread.  I said that I didn't go.  Even if I did, I wouldn't be practicing now because it sucks so bad that one ever sticks with it.

:D

June 27, 2006, 10:49:57 AM
Reply #5

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

June 27, 2006, 10:53:11 AM
Reply #6

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text

June 27, 2006, 10:55:14 AM
Reply #7

ksuno1stunner

Loser

You misread.  I said that I didn't go.  Even if I did, I wouldn't be practicing now because it sucks so bad that one ever sticks with it.

:D

Loser

June 27, 2006, 10:57:45 AM
Reply #8

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
It is a tragedy because now, we have at least an extra month without Cat football until next year. I hate wasting my life away but I can hardly wait until next year.

June 27, 2006, 11:00:11 AM
Reply #9

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
http://www.mne.ksu.edu/graduate

uh, no.

I don't really like engineering.

Really? S**T. When did this hit you? :sad:

Eh, the last six months or so.  I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'll be bored with any job other than KSU MBB's shooting coach, so I figure I might as well be bored and get paid.

June 27, 2006, 11:00:56 AM
Reply #10

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.

June 27, 2006, 11:04:45 AM
Reply #11

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
http://www.kumc.edu/

"University General Education courseCHM 230. Chemistry II.* (4) I, II, S. Second course of a two-semester study of the principles of chemistry and the properties of the elements and their compounds. Three hours lec. and three hours lab a week. Pr.: CHM 210." = C  :(

June 27, 2006, 11:12:01 AM
Reply #13

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
Ha! You never took chm 2 did you? :)

June 27, 2006, 11:52:27 AM
Reply #14

cas

• Scout Team Wildcat

• Personal Text
    Sniff Sniff. . . I smell Heisman.
my sister went to umkc.
csourk is the best pre-college poster on this board.  way better than oxlp956

June 27, 2006, 12:01:46 PM
Reply #15

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text

June 27, 2006, 12:08:39 PM
Reply #16

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.

June 27, 2006, 12:29:28 PM
Reply #17

chum1

• Scout Team Wildcat

June 27, 2006, 12:34:03 PM
Reply #18

Dan Rydell

• Senior Cub

1)  How poor do you get?

I'm about $50,000 in the hole.  Of course, I didn't work at all and came right out of college, so I didn't have any money saved.  Fortunately, I'm paying it all back at the exorbitant interest rate of 3.5%.  If you get good grades and get one of the plum summer associate spots at a big firm, you can pretty much pay your way through.

2)  How long does it take?

Three years, unless you want to barrel straight through the summers, like chum said.  But see above regarding summer associates.

3)  Do you like being a lawyer?

I *always* like being a lawyer.  There are days I'm less than thrilled with my job, but I could fix that by getting a new one.  The nice thing about law is that there really is so much different stuff you can do with a degree, even within the legal profession (let alone the jobs it helps with outside practicing law).  There are so many different areas of practice, or general practice...you can work for a big corporate firm, or go solo, or work for a company, or the government.  That's one of the big things that attracted me to the profession: the variety.

June 27, 2006, 12:57:29 PM
Reply #19

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
I'm about $50,000 in the hole.  Of course, I didn't work at all and came right out of college, so I didn't have any money saved.  Fortunately, I'm paying it all back at the exorbitant interest rate of 3.5%.  If you get good grades and get one of the plum summer associate spots at a big firm, you can pretty much pay your way through.

Could you own a house and have a family at the same time?  UMKC has a flex program that is part time and takes 5 years max.

3)  Do you like being a lawyer?

I *always* like being a lawyer.  There are days I'm less than thrilled with my job, but I could fix that by getting a new one.  The nice thing about law is that there really is so much different stuff you can do with a degree, even within the legal profession (let alone the jobs it helps with outside practicing law).  There are so many different areas of practice, or general practice...you can work for a big corporate firm, or go solo, or work for a company, or the government.  That's one of the big things that attracted me to the profession: the variety.
See, that's why I got into ME.  I didn't have any idea what I wanted to be when I grow up (still don't, obviously).  Now, however, I'm three jobs deep in 2 1/2 years after graduation, underpaid at a job I don't like, and might want to change careers altogether.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your first job pay, ballpark?  I'm not ashamed of saying money would be a big influence on whether or not I look closer at this.

June 27, 2006, 02:00:37 PM
Reply #20

Dan Rydell

• Senior Cub

Could you own a house and have a family at the same time?  UMKC has a flex program that is part time and takes 5 years max.

I'm sure you could figure something out, especially if you have another source of income.  If you go to UMKC, you'd better want to work in KC.  From what I've heard, that degree doesn't travel especially well, but that could just be rumor.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your first job pay, ballpark?  I'm not ashamed of saying money would be a big influence on whether or not I look closer at this.

My job is on the low end, because I was looking for things besides money.  The range, starting out, is generally $35,000-$180,000, which kinda breaks down as follows:

$35,000 - entry-level county government positions (40-hour workweeks, generally...low pressure)
$40,000 - entry-level state government positions. (see above)
$40,000-$50,000 - new associates in firms in towns like Lawrence or Manhattan (50 hour workweeks, generally)
$80,000 - $120,000 - new associates in firms in Kansas City/Wichita (60-80 hour workweeks)
$120,000 - $180,000 - new associates in firms in Chicago, Dallas, DC, NY (168 hour workweeks)

June 27, 2006, 02:06:03 PM
Reply #21

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.
Rusty, how much did you get straight out of KSU?

Man, I remember you saying how much you loved your job/the city you lived in about a year ago on the phog ape board. 

June 27, 2006, 02:16:25 PM
Reply #22

michigancat

• All American

• Personal Text
Rusty, how much did you get straight out of KSU?

Man, I remember you saying how much you loved your job/the city you lived in about a year ago on the phog ape board.

45k out of KSU.  Job was OK a year ago.  Love KC.  My first job in Manhattan was great.  Leaving when I did was a mistake, blah, blah, blah.

Slimz, thanks.  After I asked you, I checked UMKC's salary #'s, and the mean and median starting salary was in the 50's.  Probably not worth 50k of debt and 3 years of eating Ramen.  I could handle an 80 hr workweek for 100K, though.

For all interested, I'm also considering getting an MBA, staying in engineering and finding a better job, starting my own little company on the side, becoming a teacher/coach ($$$ an issue), and figuring out a way to be a full-time BB coach (half-serious on that one).  Maybe  I could coach the next Michael Beasley!

This board needs more old people.

June 27, 2006, 02:28:10 PM
Reply #23

Saulbadguy

That just doesn't seem like enough $$$ for the hours put in.

I'm content with making less money and working in a low pressure environment.  It's just not worth it. IMO.

June 27, 2006, 02:30:37 PM
Reply #24

chum1

• Scout Team Wildcat

I have a four-day workweek.  It &@#%ing rules. 

June 27, 2006, 02:32:27 PM
Reply #25

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.

I'm content with making less money and working in a low pressure environment.  It's just not worth it. IMO.

Braggin rights.

June 27, 2006, 02:35:20 PM
Reply #26

Saulbadguy

I have a four-day workweek.  It F**King rules. 

I do too during the summer, although it kinda sucks. 10 hour days are not my thing.

June 27, 2006, 02:35:51 PM
Reply #27

Saulbadguy

Braggin rights.
What good is all the extra money when you don't have the time to enjoy it?

June 27, 2006, 03:30:29 PM
Reply #28

chum1

• Scout Team Wildcat

I do too during the summer, although it kinda sucks. 10 hour days are not my thing.

The way I see it, eight hours just about ruins an entire day anyway, so it's not that big of a deal to go ahead and stay for an additional two hours.  (Plus, my commute kinda sucks, so the less I do it, the better.)

The thing that suprises me most about a four-day workweek is that I don't find Friday (or Monday) to be the best day off.  I think Wednesday is the best day to have off.  I always seem to find myself thinking about what I'm going to do on my day off, and this is never more than one day away.  I feel like I'm rarely at work.

June 27, 2006, 03:30:59 PM
Reply #29

fatty fat fat

• Premium Member
  • Hall of Fame

• Personal Text
    The very best.

This board needs more old people.

Wrong. This board needs 40 more "ds43fan"'s