Author Topic: Weird how Snyder can't attract and retain talented young assistant coaches.  (Read 8183 times)

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Have seen Bob's quotes and Mangino has said or insinuated similar. Practices like this and stories about neurotic attention to detail and being obtuse with the media, etc used to be admirable. Now they just perpetuate what a pain in the ass the guy is to work for.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This stuff is like anything. When you are successful and winning 11 games a year, people will overlook it or even make it a positive. When that success stops then it becomes an issue.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
This stuff is like anything. When you are successful and winning 11 games a year, people will overlook it or even make it a positive. When that success stops then it becomes an issue.

Of course.  See Spurrier and his work days revolving around his tee time in Florida and then getting criticized in the NFL for not working long hours.

Then again, given the choice, who do you think people would rather work for all else being equal?  There is a quote from The Wire that comes to mind:  "Marimow does not cast off talent lightly. He heaves it away with great force."

It is always difficult to keep talented assistants, particularly at K-State, but at this point there is just no arguing that the situation is unacceptable.  The evidence is overwhelming on a variety of fronts.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Of course.  See Spurrier and his work days revolving around his tee time in Florida and then getting criticized in the NFL for not working long hours.

Then again, given the choice, who do you think people would rather work for all else being equal?  There is a quote from The Wire that comes to mind:  "Marimow does not cast off talent lightly. He heaves it away with great force."

It is always difficult to keep talented assistants, particularly at K-State, but at this point there is just no arguing that the situation is unacceptable.  The evidence is overwhelming on a variety of fronts.

Very true. And I don't think you need to work ridiculous hours to win D1 (or any level) football games.  Even at K-State.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Very true. And I don't think you need to work ridiculous hours to win D1 (or any level) football games.  Even at K-State.

Does Mrs. _FAN know that?

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If LHC Bill Snyder truly cared about K-State more than his own ego, he would have stepped aside after the '98 season and let Bob Stoops take over. I appreciate everything that everyone did for K-State football after 1989, but Snyder is an a$$ and needs to go.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:33:54 PM by ArchE_Cat »

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
KState will neverrrr be a consistent top tennnn program, let alone top twenty five.  Let's love up to basketball and the Shockers.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So, Snyder should have left after taking the team within a fumble of the NC game and turned to program over to Stoops?  That makes so little sense it's not even funny.  How far apart are your eyes?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If LHC Bill Snyder truly cared about K-State more than his own ego, he would have stepped aside after the '98 season and let Bob Stoops take over. I appreciate everything that everyone did for K-State football after 1989, but Snyder is an a$$ and needs to go.

stepping aside for stoops after 98 is dumb on a million different fronts. i do wish that snyder would've turned his attention to detail on himself and looked into why guys like venables and mangino left and then done something about it. he's amazing at a lot of things, but evaluating himself and the job he does hiring and maintaining a staff apparently is not one of them.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
The miitary has a mandatory retirement age.  Maybe we could get Gerald Meyers to explain the virtues of this to Bill, and sorta coax him into the car on the way to the home?

You know exactly what Bill's response will be....he'll trot out Joe Pa Jim Colbertexamples.   Jesus, Bill prolly thinks that cause that one guy he knew who smoked lived to 90, that cigs are harmless.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Everyone expects to work long hours at the D1 level.   There's long hours and then there's ridiculous hours that likely are either completely non productive and/or to the point of over thinking everything causing paralysis by analysis.  

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:12:34 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
When our good assistants jump ship, the average shirt tuck would rather attempt to defend Snyder by making an asinine statement like "He Quit", as an indictment on that person's character...instead of focusing on why that talented assistant quit and why the pattern perpetually repeats itself under Snyder.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
When was the last time he even attracted a talented young assistant coach?

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile

Bielema in 2001 in the wake of Phil Bennett???

Pretty much all I can think of.  Ludwig wasn't really young.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Bielema in 2001 in the wake of Phil Bennett???

Pretty much all I can think of.  Ludwig wasn't really young.

Neither was VK

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Remember Bielema heading to the 'Ville following a KSU loss? Good times.
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

catzacker

it's an issue because it drove away the winning.  it's the sole reason the success stopped.  people (i.e. 'tards) overlook it because it's bill and they have this perception of him that isn't reality at all.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Not a fan of Bill coming back, but was tard-ish in hoping he would take advantage of the opportunity to reinvent himself. That's apparently not happened much, or otherwise he's having a hard time overcoming perceptions based on staff maneuvers.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Anybody hear Keitz' interview w/Colbert after last season(?) and Colbert saying that he called Bill about once a week to get him away from some of his mania?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not a fan of Bill coming back, but was tard-ish in hoping he would take advantage of the opportunity to reinvent himself. That's apparently not happened much, or otherwise he's having a hard time overcoming perceptions based on staff maneuvers.

note really sure its fair to judge bill 2.0 that way.  1st year back was a late start and this year VK and Lud went before he could reinvent himself.  Ironically I think firing someone will go just as far to rehab/remake his image.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

note really sure its fair to judge bill 2.0 that way.  1st year back was a late start and this year VK and Lud went before he could reinvent himself.  Ironically I think firing someone will go just as far to rehab/remake his image.
Bill got a head start compared to most new head coaches in 2009. :dunno:

catzacker

jfc.  bill's first year back was like any other coach coming into a new job.  And actually, it might be earlier.  he was "hired" on 11/24.  That' was before the regular season was over for most schools.  and wtf does "reinvent" himself mean?  if anything VK and Ludwig not sticking around only highlights that bill hasn't reinvented himself.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Anybody hear Keitz' interview w/Colbert after last season(?) and Colbert saying that he called Bill about once a week to get him away from some of his mania?

His mania obviously doesn't involve defense or recruiting.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Yeah, so did anybody catch Janssen's 12/26 KState Sports article about the itinerary and logistics planning that went into the Pinny Bowl? Interview was with Sean but you can just tell Bill had his mitts all over it, trying to defeat NYC traffic patterns. Would post but am mobile.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Bill got a head start compared to most new head coaches in 2009. :dunno:
seemed to me that VK and Lud bailed kinda late in that process?
jfc.  bill's first year back was like any other coach coming into a new job.  And actually, it might be earlier.  he was "hired" on 11/24.  That' was before the regular season was over for most schools.  and wtf does "reinvent" himself mean?  if anything VK and Ludwig not sticking around only highlights that bill hasn't reinvented himself.
part of him coming back was that he was suppose to change his recruiting strategies (target kids before they graduate HS maybe) and the way he manages his staff (i think his rep scared VK off, maybe not actions).  I don't know maybe you were busy in high school or weren't a KSU fan back then. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting