Author Topic: Weird how Snyder can't attract and retain talented young assistant coaches.  (Read 7966 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Bielema said that because he does not have a family, he hired coaches at Wisconsin who could fill that void; many of his assistants have three or four children. Bielema says he tries not to keep his coaches chained to their offices. He recalled staring at the walls while working for LHC Bill Snyder at Kansas State because he felt as if he had to be in his office, even with nothing to do. Bielema said he opened up many practices and meals to his coaches’ families.

“I was looking to surround myself with good family guys because I didn’t have one, and I wanted to breed that culture,” he said. “That’s what makes my situation work. I can live vicariously through them.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/sports/ncaafootball/01bachelors.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Powertards Reply:  The only way to win at K-State is to work from 6am to Midnight every day and have a head coach micro manage every aspect of the program.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
jfc
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Snyder is such a pos.

Offline Do Work Son

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Glad those 18 hour work days are paying off for a 6-7 win season. What if our coaches worked 9-4?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Bielema said that because he does not have a family, he hired coaches at Wisconsin who could fill that void; many of his assistants have three or four children. Bielema says he tries not to keep his coaches chained to their offices. He recalled staring at the walls while working for LHC Bill Snyder at Kansas State because he felt as if he had to be in his office, even with nothing to do. Bielema said he opened up many practices and meals to his coaches’ families.

“I was looking to surround myself with good family guys because I didn’t have one, and I wanted to breed that culture,” he said. “That’s what makes my situation work. I can live vicariously through them.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/sports/ncaafootball/01bachelors.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

We are doomed.

"LHC Bill Snyder" is a metaphor for the Maginot Line.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here's the thing, all those guys he had who were decent coaches never realized that they really would NOT be fired if they just said "eff it" and knocked off at 7 or so.

It's the crap ones who seem to have figured out that Old Balls is too much of a coward to pull the trigger.

Helluva deal, ya know?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Let's put him in a home. It's time. We've already waited too long.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Heard rumor once that Bill pursued very heavily the idea that a trained psychologist could hypnotize him into thinking he had slept or something.  Like tricking your body into thinking you were sleeping when you were actually working.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Here's the thing, all those guys he had who were decent coaches never realized that they really would NOT be fired if they just said "eff it" and knocked off at 7 or so.

It's the crap ones who seem to have figured out that Old Balls is too much of a coward to pull the trigger.

Helluva deal, ya know?

This is an excellent point.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Let's put him in a home. It's time. We've already waited too long.

Christ, he's a Savant on offense, but this current AC situation has me thinking that we dont have much longer left before he forgets Tate's name and starts calling Currie "Max."

I want Leavitt as HC and Bill as OC....but make Bill work from the home.   We could dedicate one of the GA jobs to simply printing Bill's emails and delivering game film to his home.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I wish we had a hip, young black head coach that talked the big talk and would schedule us some big time non con games
Preferably a guy with a shaved head who ran a west coast offense
Instead of working the assistants to death he could shazbot! the wives of the assistants
BBR
 Bring Back Ron!!!!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The miitary has a mandatory retirement age.  Maybe we could get Gerald Meyers to explain the virtues of this to Bill, and sorta coax him into the car on the way to the home?

You know exactly what Bill's response will be....he'll trot out Joe Pa examples.   Jesus, Bill prolly thinks that cause that one guy he knew who smoked lived to 90, that cigs are harmless.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Actually would not mind Rich Rod as next head coach
He won at WVU and that is not paradise

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
makes 1.9 per year.  and if he were to be fired from that gig, the only other thing he's qualified to do would be greet people at walmart.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

ummm what has he "won" at WVU?  He beat a Mark Richt coached team  in a shootout so that adds an auto * to that win.  wouldn't you rather have a coach that wouldn't eventually eff us over?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would love to see the author's notes for that paraphrase to see if it is as damning as it seems.  If it is that bad it is the worst example of why the system isn't designed to perpetuate itself by bringing in good coaches and keeping them to sustain success.   
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

ummm what has he "won" at WVU?  He beat a Mark Richt coached team  in a shootout so that adds an auto * to that win.  wouldn't you rather have a coach that wouldn't eventually eff us over?

Please see Limestone's work in the "Why not Jim" thread.  We aren't exactly a dream job.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Please see Limestone's work in the "Why not Jim" thread.  We aren't exactly a dream job.
do you know what group think theory is?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

do you know what group think theory is?

So we are a dream job?  Damn I'm glad you saved me from shuffling off the cliff with the rest of the herd.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile

gmafb.  there's only like 100 d1 fball coaching jobs in the world.  and like 6 billion people.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

gmafb.  there's only like 100 d1 fball coaching jobs in the world.  and like 6 billion people.

Well, there is the PRESUMPTION of qualification for the job....

BUT, to Sys's point, there wouldn't be a shortage of aspiring young binder toting slicksters willing to take the job. 

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The miitary has a mandatory retirement age.  Maybe we could get Gerald Meyers to explain the virtues of this to Bill, and sorta coax him into the car on the way to the home?

Bill would prolly spend all his money on balloons and helium to float BSFS to South America rather than be sent to a home.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

I think Bill is rough ridin' us over way worse than Rich "3 top 10 finishes in 3 years" Rodriguez mumped over WVU.  JMO

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would love to see the author's notes for that paraphrase to see if it is as damning as it seems.  If it is that bad it is the worst example of why the system isn't designed to perpetuate itself by bringing in good coaches and keeping them to sustain success.   

There are some quotes from Bobby Stoops floating around that are very similar to what Brett said   :frown: