Author Topic: We need to get into a brawl  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
We need to get into a brawl
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »
I'm chatting with a friend about JYC basketball, and we're both in agreement that this team needs to get out there on the court and just start swinging at people.  They've lacked that killer instinct all year, and Martin can scream all he wants (and I don't have a problem with that), but it's not getting them anywhere.  Yanking them off of the court isn't getting them anywhere.  Having 'good' practices isn't getting them anywhere.  Nothing seems to bring up the intensity level to the point where they look like an aggressive, intimidating team.

So, I'm all for moving into the next stage of motivation.  I'd send someone out there to instigate a fight.  Just talk some serious game in someone's ear until they throw a punch.  Put some elbows in some dude's kidneys or his groin.  You know, Brady Morningstar stuff.  Once they swing, just let all hell break loose.

I don't know.  Just a thought.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: We need to get into a brawl
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
I think we need to shoot better and play better transition D.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:02:18 AM »
 :emawkid:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »

Well, yeah, but I'm not talking about tangible, measurable improvement.  I'm talking about having the ability to look up and down this roster and think, "Yeah, teams would be afraid to play us."

We were trying to think of one guy on this team that could go out there, talk trash to the point where he'd illicit a response, and then just slug someone.

We couldn't find one guy.  That kind of disturbed us.  Made me miss Colon for a minute.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
i could get behind a huge brawl

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
 :fistpump:

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
:fistpump:

Other teams might get the wrong idea if we just flash-mob fist them?    :fatty:

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:51 AM »
We were trying to think of one guy on this team that could go out there, talk trash to the point where he'd illicit a response, and then just slug someone.

If this doesn't describe Jamar Samuels then i don't know what does.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:36:08 AM »
I'm chatting with a friend about JYC basketball, and we're both in agreement that this team needs to get out there on the court and just start swinging at people.  They've lacked that killer instinct all year, and Martin can scream all he wants (and I don't have a problem with that), but it's not getting them anywhere.  Yanking them off of the court isn't getting them anywhere.  Having 'good' practices isn't getting them anywhere.  Nothing seems to bring up the intensity level to the point where they look like an aggressive, intimidating team.

So, I'm all for moving into the next stage of motivation.  I'd send someone out there to instigate a fight.  Just talk some serious game in someone's ear until they throw a punch.  Put some elbows in some dude's kidneys or his groin.  You know, Brady Morningstar stuff.  Once they swing, just let all hell break loose.

They would get their asses kicked  :blindfold:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »
I think we need to quit sucking balls and ballsacks and taints on the recruiting trail

Offline Immaculate1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:48 AM »
I think we need to quit sucking balls and ballsacks and taints on the recruiting trail

Maybe we need to start doing these things in order to land the recruits. Unless you guys have tried that already? :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »

Maybe we need to start doing these things in order to land the recruits. Unless you guys have tried that already? :dunno:

Need better(sluttier and hotter and chick) team managers. 

Also, I am behind a fight.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 09:13:10 AM »
Freddy could really stand to win some fans back/over if he'd throw a 1-hitter-quitter

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
Herb Pope

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
This is a KC Royals talking point every year.  "These guys got no fight in 'em!!!,  They need to get in a bench clearing brawl, George Brett would never let 'em throw the high hard one like that!!!"  And every year, the Royals suck nuts.  That talking point is complete  :flush:

They need to attack the rim, get some transition points, and hit open jump shots.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
This is a KC Royals talking point every year.  "These guys got no fight in 'em!!!,  They need to get in a bench clearing brawl, George Brett would never let 'em throw the high hard one like that!!!"  And every year, the Royals suck nuts.  That talking point is complete  :flush:

They need to attack the rim, get some transition points, and hit open jump shots.

The Royals suck like hell every year.  Maybe the talking point is accurate?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 10:37:11 AM »

yeah, they're one good brawl away from the World Series.   :flush:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »

yeah, they're one good brawl away from the World Series.   :flush:

Apples and oranges.

K-State has the talent to win games, but they do so by playing tough defense, hitting the boards hard, and intimidating the other team by their physical play.  Junkyard basketball.

To play Junkyard basketball doesn't necessarily require skill.  It requires a certain type of mentality.  Rebounding is not a skill for the vast majority of players.  You can teach a guy to box out, you can teach him how to read the carom of a jump shot, but ultimately, you have to go up there and get it.  To block a shot, you have to stand your ground, put your arms up in the air, and hit something.  You can rebound and block shots without necessarily being good at basketball.  You can go hard to the rim without being good at basketball.    You have to be long, athletic, and tough.

Well, right now, this team is not tough.  They're soft.  They have no ability to play junkyard basketball because it's not in them to do it.  They don't go to the rim strong.  They don't elbow people to get position.  They don't get up on their man when he gets the ball in the post, and they certainly don't club a guy when he goes to the rim like they did last year.

So, how do you 'get tough'?  How do you instill aggressive behavior?  How do you give a team that requires a brawler's mentality to function at its highest level to play with that kind of intensity and physicality?

You tell them to go punch someone.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »

Only problem is that your model, Brady Drunkenstar, is regarded as a joke, not as intimidating.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:04 PM »
I see a good Intra-squad brawl on the horizon if chances of Near Glory attainment fades.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »
Only problem is that your model, Brady Drunkenstar, is regarded as a joke, not as intimidating.

True, but that's more because of other attributes and not necessarily on court d-bag behavior.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »
Remember when Colon knocked out Bennett in the weight room?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »

weird, that's the first time i've heard that talking point about the royals.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles