Author Topic: Leach.... (not sure if this is good or bad)  (Read 13323 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Leach.... (not sure if this is good or bad)
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
Spent the evening in Stillwater with some a.d. people.  Holgersen to be West Virginia's head coach (announced today), and Leach has already been contacted by Mike Gundy to be the offensive coordinator.

I "think" this is good news for us, because Leach won't want to be second fiddle for too long.  We gotta get this Fire OB banner going quick.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
Re: Leach.... (not sure if this is good or bad)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
The problem with Leach is that he doesn't do well with authority.  Why in the hell else would they run him out of TT when he was putting up W's at the rate he was for so long?  For putting some pussy crybaby in a dark room?  No way.  He was and will probably always be a loose canon that does things his own way and to hell with what anybody tells him he should be doing...and that goes for AD's.  What AD's fear most is that he'll come in and not listen to them and shat on the politically correct prestige of their fine university and there won't be a damn thing they can do to stop him.

I could be dead wrong about this, but he may be more unhireable than Mangino and Leavitt.  I hope I'm wrong...I'd welcome with open arms.  :garr:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
The nice thing about being a university with no prestige and/or history is that you can hire the Bob Hugginses and Mike Leaches of the world.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:47:31 PM »
the precedent has been set with Huggins, our fanbase could easily be talked into accepting him.  Plus, he didn't play anywhere, so there wouldn't be a "come home, Mike" thing to worry about.

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »
the precedent has been set with Huggins, our fanbase could easily be talked into accepting him.  Plus, he didn't play anywhere, so there wouldn't be a "come home, Mike" thing to worry about.

with as Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) as our fan base is they might be anti leach simply because of the fact that huggins ditched after 1 year...

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »
The nice thing about being a university with no prestige and/or history is that you can hire the Bob Hugginses and Mike Leaches of the world.
It's less about the prestige and more about the insubordination.  As a CEO, would you hire somebody that you knew was really good at their job but you knew wouldn't follow orders or give a eff what you said?  Honestly, why else would TT have railroaded him?
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
It's less about the prestige and more about the insubordination.  As a CEO, would you hire somebody that you knew was really good at their job but you knew wouldn't follow orders or give a eff what you said?  Honestly, why else would TT have railroaded him?
[cough]Brett Favre[/cough]

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
[cough]Brett Favre[/cough]
Yeah...that worked out well for everyone!

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

That description reminds me of LHC Bill Snyder.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »

Wasn't Leach's contract about to be up? I always thought of it more as they wanted a way to get rid of him, without paying him in a firing, so they wouldn't have to give him a big new contract or look bad to the fan base for not paying him.

In your scenario, hell yes I would hire him. If he's really good at his job, he's going to be making me money. Once he stops making me money, then we have an issue, until then do it your way and keep the cash rolling in.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

If your athletic director is trying to tell a coach how to do his job, then it is time to hire a new athletic director. The athletic director should be in charge of firing losers and hiring winners, not telling them how to win.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »

Wasn't Leach's contract about to be up? I always thought of it more as they wanted a way to get rid of him, without paying him in a firing, so they wouldn't have to give him a big new contract or look bad to the fan base for not paying him.

In your scenario, hell yes I would hire him. If he's really good at his job, he's going to be making me money. Once he stops making me money, then we have an issue, until then do it your way and keep the cash rolling in.

They gave him a big new contract the year earlier (crabtree/big 12 south tie year).  They fired him a day before his retention bonus or some crap wouldve kicked in to save that money, not that it was necessarily the reason for the firing.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »

They gave him a big new contract the year earlier (crabtree/big 12 south tie year).  They fired him a day before his retention bonus or some crap wouldve kicked in to save that money, not that it was necessarily the reason for the firing.

Ok, thanks. I new there was some monetary thing close to the time, but wasn't sure of what exactly.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
Spent the evening in Stillwater with some a.d. people.  Holgersen to be West Virginia's head coach (announced today), and Leach has already been contacted by Mike Gundy to be the offensive coordinator.

I "think" this is good news for us, because Leach won't want to be second fiddle for too long.  We gotta get this Fire OB banner going quick.

Given that Leach will coach up OSU for 1 year and get an offer as headman somewhere, this is very bad news. I don't see Bill leaving after next season, but then again, I didn't see him leaving when he did the first time.

When you're more intelligent than most AD's and alot of university presidents, as Leach is, why not say eff you. He can always fall back on his law degree...

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »

If your athletic director is trying to tell a coach how to do his job, then it is time to hire a new athletic director. The athletic director should be in charge of firing losers and hiring winners, not telling them how to win.
Not telling him how to coach...telling him not to publicly support abusive ogres (Mangino) or talk about his players fat little girlfriends in press conferences.  It's funny as crap to people like us, but the old codgers with the deep pockets supporting the program don't much care for it.  It's not about the AD wanting to control what happens on the field.  It's about not having a coach that says the first thing that comes to mind in front of room full of microphones.  When you tell him he needs to watch what he says and not be so blunt and he tells you to eff off...then you have a problem.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

Not telling him how to coach...telling him not to publicly support abusive ogres (Mangino) or talk about his players fat little girlfriends in press conferences.  It's funny as crap to people like us, but the old codgers with the deep pockets supporting the program don't much care for it.  It's not about the AD wanting to control what happens on the field.  It's about not having a coach that says the first thing that comes to mind in front of room full of microphones.  When you tell him he needs to watch what he says and not be so blunt and he tells you to eff off...then you have a problem.

1) If Mark Mangino is your friend, then you should have a right to publicly defend him.
2) Calling your players out in public to motivate them is part of being a coach. The AD should not be interfering with Mike Leach's coaching methods. He should only be evaluating the results.

If Texas Tech's president were committed to winning athletic programs, Gerald Myers would have been looking for a new job about 10 minutes after Leach was fired.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »

1) If Mark Mangino is your friend, then you should have a right to publicly defend him.
2) Calling your players out in public to motivate them is part of being a coach. The AD should not be interfering with Mike Leach's coaching methods. He should only be evaluating the results.

If Texas Tech's president were committed to winning athletic programs, Gerald Myers would have been looking for a new job about 10 minutes after Leach was fired.
I'm not defending the decision, I'm simply trying to explain it.  I know this is going to come as a shock to you, but the motivations of egotistical AD's are slightly different than your average message board tard.

Offline theymightbegiants

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »
Want defense and wins. Not one shared division title since 2000 with a lot of offense.
"I feel safe in white because, deep down inside, I'm an angel"-Puff Daddy

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 07:41:12 PM »
Want defense and wins. Not one shared division title since 2000 with a lot of offense.

your right, leach sucks.

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

your right, leach sucks.

Agreed

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 10:36:59 PM »

you rough ridin' deserve snyder.  loser.

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 01:45:23 AM »

you effing deserve snyder.  loser.
Snyder=do want              Do not care  snyder=winner

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »

you effing deserve snyder.  loser.
Snyder=do want              Do not care  snyder=winner

yeah, that one conference championship is pretty awesome.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
Snyder hasn't won since 2003.