Author Topic: Extra Postage  (Read 2576 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Extra Postage
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
So I received a card in the mail, and it was late because it needed extra postage.  Attached to the envelope was a tiny USPS envelope so I can send the extra 17 cents for the additional postage. 

I received my card.  What happens if I decide not to pay?  Will they send collections on me?   :ohno:

Or is this part of the honesty code thing?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Postage
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
So I received a card in the mail, and it was late because it needed extra postage.  Attached to the envelope was a tiny USPS envelope so I can send the extra 17 cents for the additional postage. 

I received my card.  What happens if I decide not to pay?  Will they send collections on me?   :ohno:

Or is this part of the honesty code thing?

This happened to me once. I did not pay the postage, and the post office did nothing to me.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
don't eff with the mail system....  :runaway:

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »
so someone cheaped out on the postage and they expect you to pay for it?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »

No, it was not known it needed extra postage on the other end.  It was a regular B-Day card and usually they only require one stamp.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »

No, it was not known it needed extra postage on the other end.  It was a regular B-Day card and usually they only require one stamp.

Sounds to me like the post office is just looking for a handout.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
Yes

that's mumped up. I dunno, poop in the UPS envelope and send it back.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
Several years ago(mid '90's), I received a card from a cheap relative that had an old stamp with a few pennies taped to it to make up the diff from the old stamp cost and the new stamp cost.  Post office never removed the pennies either.   :facepalm:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
Several years ago(mid '90's), I received a card from a cheap relative that had an old stamp with a few pennies taped to it to make up the diff from the old stamp cost and the new stamp cost.  Post office never removed the pennies either.   :facepalm:

If those pennies hadn't been on the envelope, you can bet your ass that the post office would have given you a little envelope (probably at a cost of 4 cents to the post office) to put 2 cents into.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
you know what i always thought would be a pretty efficient way to send mail? just don't put any postage on it at all and have the person that you want the mail sent to listed as the sender w/ their address and stuff up in the upper lefty. 

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
A few years ago my daughter (precious little Brockina Landers) sent a birthday card to her grandmother.  I forgot to put a stamp on it but somehow the it got delivered anyway.  So the key to a lifetime of free mail is to send stuff in an envelope that is about the size of a birthday card and just use child's handwriting.

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
you know what i always thought would be a pretty efficient way to send mail? just don't put any postage on it at all and have the person that you want the mail sent to listed as the sender w/ their address and stuff up in the upper lefty. 

:horrorsurprise:
- chunkles

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

I have heard about this one too, just swapping the sender/recipient info on the envelope.  Seems like it would be pretty hard for the post office to catch on to it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

I have heard about this one too, just swapping the sender/recipient info on the envelope.  Seems like it would be pretty hard for the post office to catch on to it.

If you don't mind the extra delay it probably would work ok
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »

If you don't mind the extra delay it probably would work ok

This.

I have received returned Xmas cards in Feb before.   :surprised:

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
Sort of off topic, but how awesome are postage stamps? People bitch about the price—what is it now, 44 cents?—but yet, what an amazing service. You mean to tell me that for 44 cents, a mailman will pick up an envelope attached to my mailbox, put it in their bag, walk it back to the truck, drive it to the post office, unload it from the bag, put it on another truck, then drive my letter to another post office (in California? New York? Florida?), only to have some other mail carrier pick it up, drive to another neighborhood, and then walk my envelope to the recipient's door before putting it in a mailbox? In rain or shine, snow or sleet? While possibly fighting off angry dogs?

All for 44 cents?  

:emawkid:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
Sort of off topic, but how awesome are postage stamps? People bitch about the price—what is it now, 44 cents?—but yet, what an amazing service. You mean to tell me that for 44 cents, a mailman will pick up an envelope attached to my mailbox, put it in their bag, walk it back to the truck, drive it to the post office, unload it from the bag, put it on another truck, then drive my letter to another post office (in California? New York? Florida?), only to have some other mail carrier pick it up, drive to another neighborhood, and then walk my envelope to the recipient's door before putting it in a mailbox? In rain or shine, snow or sleet? While possibly fighting off angry dogs?

All for 44 cents?  

que the tards saying the private sector could do it cheaper
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »
ecards.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
Guys, know what is cool?  Email.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »

All for 44 cents?  

it really is amazing.  along with the public library system, probably the triumph of american civilization.

unfortunately usps is in heavy debt.  they need to cut salaries.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »

All for 44 cents?  

like airplanes.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 09:21:20 PM »
No, not at all like airplanes.

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
No, not at all like airplanes.

thanks, life coach.

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »

All for 44 cents?  

It is indeed almost inconceivable to think that anybody would take the time and effort to go around a neighborhood grabbing a few dollars every 100 feet. I mean, by the time they got around the block they'd only have like two grand in their little sack. The things some people will do for money...

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?