Author Topic: Kietzman: Better than 50% Hornets to KC...  (Read 9483 times)

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Kietzman: Better than 50% Hornets to KC...
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5896852

They are going to do all they can to keep it in New Orleans.

Good.  The only reason I want an NBA team is if we are forced to choose between NBA and NHL.  I'd rather have neither.  I have enjoyed ignoring the NBA, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I concur.  NBA bball blows.  It would be an epic fail if it came back.  I just wish people would get behind our women's Rollerball team.  Fantastic atmosphere and very entertaining.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
:yawn: at the NBA haters. The quality of play in exponentially better than college bball

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
Who gives a eff about local ownership anyway?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »
Team name:
KC Smoke

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
KC Humidity? :dunno: Nickname The Humids? :ck: I kinda like it.

Tough telling what's going to happen with the Hornets. For those that don't keep up on it, the NBA is looking to contract, not expand. So a move would be a push at best, when in reality they would prefer (need) to let many of the small-market teams die. If they move anything to KC, it would likely be a stopgap measure. Additionally, while a team can survive in OKC because it's the only game in town, there is good data showing that the total personal income of the KC metro is well behind what it would take to support a third team, much less the teams they already have. Food for thought. But I hope they get a team, would be fun. :drool:

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
KC Sprinters

or

KC Funk Fusion

or

KC Funk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:55 AM »
CP3 in KC  :excited: :drool:

He'll be in new york or new jersey by the end of the year

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
How about "Sporting KC"?

Oh wait, that one's been taken.   :bang:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
The KC Disappointment.   :dunno:

I want them here, but can only imagine them eventually being a team that I end up being very  :facepalm: about.  Similar to the Royals(only I don't want the royals here). 

I guess it really doesn't matter as long as they come up with a workable mascot and hire someone who doesn't mind jumping off of 30' ladders and dunking the ball at halftime.

Give me a flying goal-rilla, and I will pay to see him.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »
A hockey team would be much better. KC would never be able to support an NBA team.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
I would never go to a hockey game.  Never.

Give me free tix, and they go to waste.  Just no interest.

However, I will buy tix to see a few NBA games in a season, especially the second half of the season.

I don't have a feel for how the majority of KC would feel, but I know the above for certain.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »

However, I will buy tix to see a few NBA games in a season, especially the second half of the season.

I don't have a feel for how the majority of KC would feel, but I know the above for certain.

yeah, hockey is horrible.

i'm sure it's like this for all nba teams, but the thunder has a season tix package that is for weekend games only....seems like a pretty good idea for out-of-towners.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
always heard that hockey is pretty cool to see live. But i think it would be cold. dunno, just grasping at straws here.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »

Kansas City couldn't support the Kings. Why would the Hornets be any different?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Hockey is kind of cool to see live.  That being said I still don't think I'd go to more than 1 game a year.  Hockey fans piss me off too cause they're all like "Hockey is the greatest sport ever, Canada is awesome, blah blah". 

I could see myself going to a few NBA games, especially if good teams like the Celtics or Lakers were in town.  Plus the chances of partying with Kobe, Lebron, etc in the Plaza go up a ton.  (I would never be able to identify a hockey player in public)
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »

:flush:
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »

KC Metro area currently has a population slightly above 2 million.  That is almost a 10% increase since 1990, and most of which has been in the JoCo area (where the $$ at).  The Kings disbanded in 1985.

I think KC could easily support an NBA team.  OKC's metro population is almost 1 million below KC's. 

The problem is not being able to support the team with attendance, it's being able to find a local millionaire willing to buy and support the franchise.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

KC Metro area currently has a population slightly above 2 million.  That is almost a 10% increase since 1990, and most of which has been in the JoCo area (where the $$ at).  The Kings disbanded in 1985.

I think KC could easily support an NBA team.  OKC's metro population is almost 1 million below KC's. 

The problem is not being able to support the team with attendance, it's being able to find a local millionaire willing to buy and support the franchise.

OKC doesn't also have an NFL or MLB team, and it remains to be seen how well they will support the Thunder after the novelty of having an NBA team wears off. When the Kings were in KC, there were games with attendance below 4000.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »

OKC doesn't also have an NFL or MLB team, and it remains to be seen how well they will support the Thunder after the novelty of having an NBA team wears off. When the Kings were in KC, there were games with attendance below 4000.

Sure, but also take into considering what Kemper had to offer at that time.  Many of the criticisms Arrowhead and Kauffman get is the location and the fact there is nothing to do around the stadiums (shopping, restaurants, etc).  Sprint Center and P&L have a lot more to offer than Kemper could ever dream of.  I'm not saying KC could sell out every bball game.  The Heat don't even sell out with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. 

The concern for supporting a professional team isn't the problem.  If it was, the Spring Center would have never been built to it's current capacity.  The main problem (as it will continue to be for years to come) is finding a local buyer for an NBA or NHL franchise.   

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »
KC Smoke.

yeah!

:woot:

Offline BigCat

• Combo-Fan
  • Bob Esponja
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »

Sure, but also take into considering what Kemper had to offer at that time.  Many of the criticisms Arrowhead and Kauffman get is the location and the fact there is nothing to do around the stadiums (shopping, restaurants, etc).  Sprint Center and P&L have a lot more to offer than Kemper could ever dream of.  I'm not saying KC could sell out every bball game.  The Heat don't even sell out with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. 

The concern for supporting a professional team isn't the problem.  If it was, the Spring Center would have never been built to it's current capacity.  The main problem (as it will continue to be for years to come) is finding a local buyer for an NBA or NHL franchise.   

If KC's ability (or lack thereof) to support another pro team wasn't a concern, there would already be a team in that arena. And it doesn't matter if it's a local buyer, anyone would do. Munis build Sprint Centers to say, "hey look at this sweet new arena we have ready to go, are you sure you don't want to re-think your firm refusal to bring a team here?"

Sprint Center was built with the hope that they might be able to lure a team. With the NBA struggling the way it is, if a team did come it would be a failure. And KC isn't a hockey market. Not enough fans and not enough money. NHL ticket prices are outrageous, as are NBA.

Ooh, nice outfit. What is that, Dacron?

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
nba tickets are like $10 right?  sign me up.

Offline pencat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
sorry
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 06:26:13 PM »
But it will be seattle.

Actually suburban Bellevue in the new Microsoft Center built by steve balmer and others who have recently dumped hundreds of millions in microsoft stock.

Now that is a 50%+ bet.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »
KC Z-Mans.