Author Topic: Grocery store  (Read 5508 times)

T42YS

Re: Grocery store
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
Has anyone ever been to the original Whole Foods in downtown Austin?  It's so elite that the thought of it makes me want to  :goodbyecruelworld: every time I step inside a Wal-Mart.

T42YS

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »
Also, I used to work at a Texas-wide grocery chain so feel free to ask me any questions related to grocery stores and shopping experiences.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
Usually go to Hyvee at 10 pm on weeknights. It's just me and the some random limping/hobbling peeps.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
If you want to see a serious freak out you should be there when I throw stuff haphazardly into the cart when mrs. dave is with me.   :emawkid:
Same but vice versa, when wife puts non-generic item in cart that costs like 6 bucks when 2 dollar generic version is right there.  A little piece of me dies inside.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »
"Hey, look! Up ahead, an open spot!"

Then ...

:horrorsurprise:  :horrorsurprise:  :horrorsurprise:

T42YS

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
As a former cart retriever, I made it my personal goddamn mission to not let that happen (for america) :curse:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
Same but vice versa, when wife puts non-generic item in cart that costs like 6 bucks when 2 dollar generic version is right there.  A little piece of me dies inside.

gf is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) at shopping.

"look, baby, you can get the 16 oz package instead of two 6 oz packs for a dollar less"

" :ck:, i'll never eat 16 ounces"
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »
love going to the grocery store.  I go 3 times a week at least because it's on the way home from work.  I also like to cook and do most of the cooking so that helps I guess.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
Have grocery store in my blood. Grandfather has owned a grocery store for 46 years and my dad has only worked there his entire working life. My mom's grandparents also owned a grocery store.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Also, I used to work at a Texas-wide grocery chain so feel free to ask me any questions related to grocery stores and shopping experiences.

Albertsons?  Tom Thumb?   :dunno:  (Are those even Texas-wide grocery chains?)

<--- LT-WGCIQ

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »

<--- LT-WGCIQ

I'm betting on HEB

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
yeah, if it's TX it's gotta be HEB

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »
Is there a place on earth more annoying?

People leaving their carts in the middle of the aisle. Kids running all over the place. The manual scales in the fruit section. The people at the deli who, when you tell them you'd like a half-pound of turkey, do everything they can to give you EXACTLY a half pound of turkey...0.55...0.46...0.52...then they are ripping a piece of turkey to get it just right. The "Would you like your milk in a bag?" question. People who pay for their groceries using their check book. People who knowingly use the express lane with a few more items than allowed (and no, eight of the same items does not equal one item.) People who are behind you in line, but when a new line opens up don't offer you a chance to upgrade your position first. People who ask for price checks on essential items such as milk, which they are going to buy regardless of price. People who clip coupons at the register (do it at home.)

The grocery store tricks are also annoying, like when they list something as 10-for-$10.

You don't need to buy 10. It's $1 each.  :surprised:

Dillons has started doing this thing where you actually have to buy 10 items to get the sale price of a dollar.  But not necessarily 10 of the same item, they have like 20 items to choose from.  It's like some sort of  grocery store scavenger hunt.  I refuse to do that and just buy the one item I actually wanted, for like $1.19.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
I used to love Dillon's salad bar until they started watering down the lettuce.
pfffft...forget the salad bar. Keep walking and hit the olive bar and sushi bar for an elite lunch.

Dillons' sushi bar is surprisingly elite.  Very fresh stuff, especially if you hit it up around noon when the chick is actually still rolling the stuff.  Sometimes I will grab a couple trays on my way home, for dinner, if I want sushi but don't feel like actually going to a restaurant that night.  Not a big fan of the brown rice stuff they have, seems kinda sacrilegious.   :dunno:

T42YS

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »

<--- LT-WGCIQ

I'm betting on HEB

yeah, if it's TX it's gotta be HEB

Winners, both of you. Way above Wal-Mart but below everything else on the shopping experience-o-meter. HEB does own Central Market though, which is a lower rent version of Whole Foods :love:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
favorite section of the grocery market: the meat dept, also love the seafood section but not quite as much as the meat dept.

the hen house near me has a speaker on the egg case that plays clucks from a chicken.  i love walking by that egg case.  :lol:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
favorite section of the grocery market: the meat dept, also love the seafood section but not quite as much as the meat dept.

No question.  Ever met a butcher that didn't have something fantastic to say?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
i actually don't like the butchers most of the time as they seem to be so damn full of themselves. 

why can't they just pack the ground beef in some even increment of a pound?  yes, i can assure you butcher, there is no recipe in the world that calls for 1.18 lbs of ground beef you lazy POS.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
i actually don't like the butchers most of the time as they seem to be so damn full of themselves.

can you blame them?  they cut up animals for a living.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »

why can't they just pack the ground beef in some even increment of a pound?  yes, i can assure you butcher, there is no recipe in the world that calls for 1.18 lbs of ground beef you lazy POS.
just buy the tube, you uppity bitch.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

Good one  :D

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »

tube beef, LMFAO.  no, no thanks.  i would never consider tubed beef, nor would i ever weigh my own ground beef.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Fan
  • Rock the EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 11:34:45 PM »
Mom and gf are the exact opposite of each other.

Mom used to meticulously cut coupons at home and take her Big Chief tablet of a list to Dillons. I was drug along. If there wasn't a coupon for it or it wasn't on sale, we weren't getting it. Mostly generic brands, with the exception of a few bigger entrées (with coupons of course). And she always found 14 people she knew to talk to. All the meanwhile little DD is standing there all  :bang:, bored out of his mind. Dad got to stay home.

The gf knows no bounds when it comes to spending money. Goes into the store with the list in her head. Refuses to buy any generic stuff because it's "too cheap". Buys stuff because the packaging "looks cute". All the meanwhile older DD is standing there all  :curse:, fuming at the logic. The only reason I doesn't say anything is because she' a damn good cook. It's almost worth knocking her up to produce a minion to go with her so I can stay home.

I avoid them at all costs.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
Use the self checkout thing.  Saves a bunch of time/annoyance.

can't buy booze at that thing  :frown:

Yes you can.

My favorite grocer is Aldi.  :love:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 08:30:51 AM »

tube beef, LMFAO.  no, no thanks.  i would never consider tubed beef, nor would i ever weigh my own ground beef.
Sounds like quite the conundrum.