Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4691688 times)

KST8FAN and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #75750 on: April 04, 2024, 01:35:58 PM »
These rough ridin' idiots could have hired CF3 and mocat to run this and saved a pile of money and embarrassment
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75751 on: April 04, 2024, 01:38:06 PM »
this poll only had 233 votes from whatever twitter users happened to see it, but still. It's so dang obvious

https://twitter.com/_chandler_____/status/1775354143273562589?t=eI3vGNHVYt22Xt4AvmdMOw&s=19

I'm still opposed to giving a dickhead billionaire taxpayer money, but i've talked to multiple people and seen this same thing in many other places. This would have probably passed if they had just stuck with the east village and/or not changed it at the last minute. Seeing money flow to an area that is basically vacant is much more appealing than the Crossroads spot at least to me. Neither is economically advantageous to anyone but the owners, but at least a new area of the city would be built up a bit.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75752 on: April 04, 2024, 08:58:40 PM »
this poll only had 233 votes from whatever twitter users happened to see it, but still. It's so dang obvious

https://twitter.com/_chandler_____/status/1775354143273562589?t=eI3vGNHVYt22Xt4AvmdMOw&s=19

I'm still opposed to giving a dickhead billionaire taxpayer money, but i've talked to multiple people and seen this same thing in many other places. This would have probably passed if they had just stuck with the east village and/or not changed it at the last minute. Seeing money flow to an area that is basically vacant is much more appealing than the Crossroads spot at least to me. Neither is economically advantageous to anyone but the owners, but at least a new area of the city would be built up a bit.
the crossroads location is the correct location.  increase the density downtown block by block, don’t over complicate it.  this didn’t fail because of the location, it failed because the confluence of other factors related to poor communication.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #75753 on: April 04, 2024, 09:25:00 PM »
Lucas made a comment at some point recently about not wanting the East Village location because the Royals planned to build some kind of entertainment district adjacent to it. His point was that a new entertainment district would cannibalize some of the $$$ from Power and Light because they'd only be a few blocks away (separated by the interstate, but still not too far away). Given that Power and Light hasn't come close to revenue projections and the city has already spent $150+ million covering its debts, his point is understandable.

And, Sherman referencing the "creative" people at the city convincing them that the Crossroads was viable probably includes Lucas because the odds of this passing if Lucas wasn't in favor would have been even worse.

Regardless, there will probably need to be some major adjustments to the East Village plan for Lucas to get onboard.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75754 on: April 04, 2024, 09:42:53 PM »
East Village makes most sense cause it's 90% parking lots and you're treading on the least amount of toes. It was still a very ill gotten plan but if they stuck it there than it passes like 60-40 and we're not still talking about this. I get why the crossroads was wanted for the density argument but it treaded on a lot of toes. Maybe not directly but the proximity makes it direct
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75755 on: April 04, 2024, 10:20:28 PM »

the crossroads location is the correct location.  increase the density downtown block by block, don’t over complicate it.  this didn’t fail because of the location, it failed because the confluence of other factors related to poor communication.

I think the “we’re not giving public funds to billionaires” is certainly a reason some voted no, but as this process evolved, there’s much more at play here to drive the “no” vote.

In addition to a citizenry worn down and betrayed by their county leaders on previous tax issues, the Royals and Chiefs themselves played a massive part in this loss. You have a stadium that is regarded around the game as a jewel that the team’s owner wants to demolish. You have self-imposed deadlines that you miss not by days or weeks but by months. You have concrete cancer in one stadium but not the other. You have businesses that will be uprooted from a beloved arts district. You have an incredibly vague Community Benefits Agreement that was delivered late in the process. Here’s the big one: You have billionaires asking for $2 billion in tax money without presenting a coherent plan for what they are going to do with that money.

“Trust us,” they told the electorate of Jackson County.

“Get bent,” the electorate told them back.

https://intothefountains.substack.com/p/royals-lose-sales-tax-vote-jackson-county?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

Craig Brown is my favorite Royals read. For an out-of-towner, I thought he broke down the poor communication that Clams referenced pretty well.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75756 on: April 05, 2024, 09:50:06 AM »
Lucas made a comment at some point recently about not wanting the East Village location because the Royals planned to build some kind of entertainment district adjacent to it. His point was that a new entertainment district would cannibalize some of the $$$ from Power and Light because they'd only be a few blocks away (separated by the interstate, but still not too far away). Given that Power and Light hasn't come close to revenue projections and the city has already spent $150+ million covering its debts, his point is understandable.

And, Sherman referencing the "creative" people at the city convincing them that the Crossroads was viable probably includes Lucas because the odds of this passing if Lucas wasn't in favor would have been even worse.

Regardless, there will probably need to be some major adjustments to the East Village plan for Lucas to get onboard.

either site doesn't need a ShiPaTown. They are both walkable to half empty P&L.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75757 on: April 05, 2024, 10:01:07 AM »

that's why I don't want it in Crossroads. It will end up just being a bunch of shitty chains that people only go to when games are on. Put it in the east and let Guy Fieri open up as many places as he wants around it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #75758 on: April 05, 2024, 10:02:12 AM »
Hell, just rename the whole district Flavortown.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #75759 on: April 05, 2024, 10:12:00 AM »

This.  Any $4 to the royals needs to come with restriction about putting up a bunch of crap and forcing everyone to go to PNL.  tossing the PNL a lifeline was absolutely why it was moved.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75760 on: April 07, 2024, 06:43:59 PM »
they said it couldn't be done, but here we are (over .500).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75761 on: April 07, 2024, 08:38:26 PM »
What is our pod record?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75762 on: April 07, 2024, 09:38:41 PM »
we won our first nine game pod.  1-0, baby.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #75763 on: April 08, 2024, 08:35:27 AM »
Thinking of clocking out early and walking over for the Thursday game. Brady Singer smoking the Astros sounds entertaining.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75764 on: April 08, 2024, 09:02:45 AM »
BASEBALL IS FUN RIGHT NOW

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75765 on: April 08, 2024, 09:10:42 AM »
Thinking of clocking out early and walking over for the Thursday game. Brady Singer smoking the Astros sounds entertaining.

the downtown baseball dream

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75766 on: April 08, 2024, 09:16:14 AM »
Small sample size but it appears our starting pitching is actually good.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #75767 on: April 08, 2024, 10:56:54 AM »
Small sample size but it appears our starting pitching is actually good.

Yeah, hopefully they get the bullpen straightened out before these guys regress a bit. I'm a bit skeptical that this group outside of Ragans is going to lead the league in ERA and quality starts. Really good start to the season though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75768 on: April 09, 2024, 09:46:20 PM »
winners get winningier.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75769 on: April 09, 2024, 10:24:01 PM »
It's against some pretty bad teams but 7-4 and a 5 game winning streak is pretty nice. Win the series tomorrow and the next two series are very winnable against a meh Mets team and awful and previously super swept White Sox. If they are 12-7 or better by the next time they play the Orioles it'll be a nice start to the season

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #75770 on: April 09, 2024, 10:24:43 PM »
WE ARE SO BACK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #75771 on: April 10, 2024, 01:08:33 PM »
Last text to my friends after the 9th inning last night "Salvy needs to walk us off"

Then I fell asleep and woke up to Salvy getting a bath!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #75772 on: April 10, 2024, 08:28:18 PM »
WE ARE SO BACK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eff yeah we are!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75773 on: April 10, 2024, 08:33:29 PM »
This is fun

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire