Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4685242 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #27450 on: October 13, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
Is there a chance I am jinxing the Roy's by going to the game?

I went to the Saturday Detroit loss a couple weeks ago with the Salvy base running error.  That felt horrible.

Prior to that I have a fairly unremarkable streak of roughly 50-50 games.  Win some and lose some.

Last truly notable game for me was the 2004 opener.  We had just flirted with a playoff run.  Carlos hit a walk off to win it and I was CONVINCED we were headed to the playoffs.

2003 was the first year of rstn. i lived withing walking distance to henry t's and spent that whole summer watching 'yals. back then they pretty much had only two commercials. james b nutter and something for a don williams cd when don williams did some africa concerts and he talked about how much fun they had putting the album together and dun, dun, dun dun dun, living on tulsa time. man what a summer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:31:40 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27451 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
Last truly notable game for me was the 2004 opener.  We had just flirted with a playoff run.  Carlos hit a walk off to win it and I was CONVINCED we were headed to the playoffs.

I was also at that game.  I was so angry because he pinch hit Mendy Lopez in the 9th instead of Matt Stairs and then Mendy hit a 3 run bomb to tie the game.    :excited:

Actually at the Wild Card game I told everyone around us that it was fine when we were down 7-3 because I was at 04 opening day when we were down 7-3 and we came back to win.  :excited:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27452 on: October 13, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
Its just been so fun reconnecting with people during this Royals run. I've had several people I haven't seen or talked to in years call me or text just to say how much they're enjoying this team.

One of my buds posted this on Facebook:

While I’d like to post something poignant regarding the Royals, about how they’ve helped me connect to my 12 yr-old-boys in a real and tangible way, or how they’ve reconnected me to memories of the friendships I’ve had with co–commiserators, some of whom are my best friends and live three houses down, some of whom have passed, and some of whom are just rock solid good people, all I can come up with is this:
LETS GO ROYALS

Also, came across this blog, by a buddy who wrote about his Dad and baseball and how much his Dad, who loved baseball and passed away in '92, would love this team: http://www.aspirekc.com/Blog/2014/10/13/he-loved-baseball/ He ends it with this:

He would absolutely love this Royals team.  The young rising stars, the veteran leaders, their never quit attitude, their passion and energy, the team chemistry, and the fact that so many are home grown through the farm system.  He would love it all.  But mostly, I think he would love the way they have fun playing the game.  Dad, if heaven has a front row seat, I hope you’re in it.  Win or Lose, this is going to be a lot of fun.  Let’s Go Royals!

Reminds me to cherish the nightly post game phone breakdown I have with my own Dad. The best thing about sports is the shared experience of enjoying them with your friends and family. Its been fun sharing this season with you studs right here in this blog. Its just been really, really fun.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27453 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
Warning:  prolly don't read this post if you aren't old balls

There is something to the notion of "Men of a Certain Age," when it comes to 'Yols.

Our fathers told us how great they were, and we were able to taste a youthful version of it.  We knew the players names, and fought over #5 jerseys as little leaguers.  We bought in as kids in a meaningful way.  How many of us were scolded for trying to play with a toothpick in our mouth like U.L., or throw side arm like Quiz, or pound the non-existent dirt off our shoes before every rough ridin' pitch like George?

But, then we knew nothing but disappointment after that.  Some might say "at least you had a taste."  But, I'd argue that in a way it was almost worse to have a fleeting glimpse of it 29 years ago, to then follow it with the worst kind of failure for so long.  It was like learning the truth about Santa or the Tooth Fairy...something that felt real at the time, but wasn't "reality," and then never being able to share the "fun" with another generation....like we were the only fools who were duped.  90+ losses a year routinely for decades.

We had to callus ourselves.  Terrible owner, unfair economics, etc. 

I don't really know where I am going with this...

I can still name you every starter on the 1985 team, just like I could when I was a kid, and I am proud of the terrible baseball card trades I made to all the older guys in my block just so I could have more Royals in my collection.  My Rodger Clemons rookie for a Buddy B., Daryl Motley, and a Charlie Liebrandt?  You bet.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27454 on: October 13, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
 :cry:

pete, i've never loved you more than i do right now at this very moment you beautiful bastard you
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27455 on: October 13, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
imagine how disgusted i was when i looked up the thursday game time.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27456 on: October 13, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
imagine how disgusted i was when i looked up the thursday game time.

yup, ridiculous
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27457 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »
Are we really bitching about game times for the rough ridin' ALCS games?

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27458 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
We won't be playing on Thursday anyways.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27459 on: October 13, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
Every year, when there's 2 LCS games on the same day, they do one afternoon, and one evening. Its been this way for a while good grief.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27460 on: October 13, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
Every year, when there's 2 LCS games on the same day, they do one afternoon, and one evening. Its been this way for a while good grief.

yeah, well we have 2 day games in a row which puts a lot of stress of viewer's schedules.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27461 on: October 13, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »

yeah, well we have 2 day games in a row which puts a lot of stress of viewer's schedules.

Sorry Friend. All the World Series games will be in prime time.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27462 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
if duffy is healthy enough to pitch as a reliever then why can't he start?  do you think we're going to start guthrie, see how it goes, and then put in duffy if needed?  i mean, its not unfathomable that guthrie could give us 6 good innings.  his play has ranged from pretty respectable to pretty darn good all year except for july.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27463 on: October 13, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »

if duffy is healthy enough to pitch as a reliever then why can't he start?  do you think we're going to start guthrie, see how it goes, and then put in duffy if needed?  i mean, its not unfathomable that guthrie could give us 6 good innings.  his play has ranged from pretty respectable to pretty darn good all year except for july.

I also wonder about Duffy.  Surely he must be hurt, right?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27464 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
depending on how you look at it, i think it's smart to have duffy in the bullpen as an insurance policy for guthrie/vargas.  you never know what you're going to get from those guys (or any other starter for that matter).  i mean, we might roll guthrie out there and he might only allow one run in six innings or he might allow four in the first ya know?  just thinking out loud here but i like the flexibility this gives us.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27465 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
He's obviously hurt. No matter what Ned says.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27466 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »

I also wonder about Duffy.  Surely he must be hurt, right?

ned said in the post game the other night that duffy would pitch if needed so if he is hurt it is a very mild injury like soreness or something.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27467 on: October 13, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
I just can't fathom why you would pitch Guthrie over Duffy.  I'm sure you guys already talked about this but I just can't fathom it.

I think its the returning from injury concerns

he's broken, can't throw strikes.  either that or they're lying and he's actually hurt.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27468 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
With the rainout and Pete's post I got nostalgic and pulled out some of my favorites:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27469 on: October 13, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
i have every single one of those cards  :D

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27470 on: October 13, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »
except the hologram one

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27471 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:07 AM »
depending on how you look at it, i think it's smart to have duffy in the bullpen as an insurance policy for guthrie/vargas.  you never know what you're going to get from those guys (or any other starter for that matter).  i mean, we might roll guthrie out there and he might only allow one run in six innings or he might allow four in the first ya know?  just thinking out loud here but i like the flexibility this gives us.

kim carnes and Stevesie60, two peas in an incredibly sexy pod.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27472 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Today is going to be the longest day ever

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27473 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »
All I can think about is when to leave the office for Kauffman.  LFG!

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27474 on: October 14, 2014, 08:36:24 AM »