Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4691923 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #13700 on: July 06, 2014, 08:44:51 PM »
Salvy will start the All-Star game at Catcher (Matt Wieters won the vote but is hurt). Holland made the team but Wade Davis did not.

edit: Gordo made the team as a reserve.

it's a crime that davis didn't make it. he's the best reliever in the american league.

I'm assuming there'll be the final vote thing again. Gotta think he'll be on it

2 of the top 8 pitchers in all of baseball in K/9 are in our bullpen (at least 20 innings). That's crazy. But the ASG is starters and closer, pretty much always.

I would've loved Alcides to be on the team, but Alexei Ramirez and him are very similar offensively, and Ramirez having 8 HR to Alcides 2 is probably the difference in who was selected. Alcides defensively is having his best year IMO but that's rarely considered in ASGs.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: July 06, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
Salvy will start the All-Star game at Catcher (Matt Wieters won the vote but is hurt). Holland made the team but Wade Davis did not.

edit: Gordo made the team as a reserve.

it's a crime that davis didn't make it. he's the best reliever in the american league.

I'm assuming there'll be the final vote thing again. Gotta think he'll be on it

2 of the top 8 pitchers in all of baseball in K/9 are in our bullpen (at least 20 innings). That's crazy. But the ASG is starters and closer, pretty much always.

I would've loved Alcides to be on the team, but Alexei Ramirez and him are very similar offensively, and Ramirez having 8 HR to Alcides 2 is probably the difference in who was selected. Alcides defensively is having his best year IMO but that's rarely considered in ASGs.

i actually looked this up a few weeks ago. and pretty much every year there has been a non-closer reliever.

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: July 06, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
How many were like Crow, only halfway decent player on a loser team?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: July 06, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »
Huge week coming up. Games all seven days. The Rays are hot--just took 3 of 4 from the Tigers and have won 8 of their last 9. It will be interesting to see how Detroit fares at home against the Dodgers before coming to KC Thursday for 4 games before the AS Break. Need to win the series against the Rays, hope LA does no worse than a split with Detroit (how about a sweep, Mattingly?), and then butt kick the Tigers at The K.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: July 07, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
Huge week coming up. Games all seven days. The Rays are hot--just took 3 of 4 from the Tigers and have won 8 of their last 9. It will be interesting to see how Detroit fares at home against the Dodgers before coming to KC Thursday for 4 games before the AS Break. Need to win the series against the Rays, hope LA does no worse than a split with Detroit (how about a sweep, Mattingly?), and then butt kick the Tigers at The K.

they will go below .500

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: July 07, 2014, 03:13:55 PM »
holy crap billy butler is still sitting at 2 home runs on the season.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
This guy Lee on BITB is really going off on him. Lee is like 80 and says he's the worst player he's ever seen.  :lol:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: July 07, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
This guy Lee on BITB is really going off on him. Lee is like 80 and says he's the worst player he's ever seen.  :lol:

while that's obviously exaggerated the 2014 billy butler is pretty damn low on the list of all time players in terms of value they bring to a team.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: July 07, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »

while that's obviously exaggerated the 2014 billy butler is pretty damn low on the list of all time players in terms of value they bring to a team.

What's terrible is that as bad as Hoz has been he still leads Billy in most hitting stats and can actually play D.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: July 07, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »
Why not just go get Kottaras to be the DH?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13710 on: July 07, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
Guys, who should the royals pick up?  They need some offense Stat.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: July 07, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
my opinion on the royals problem hitters based on eye tests (keep in mind, i know nothing about baseball).  with recommendations on roster management.

moose - he's a shitty hitter.  he just doesn't have good hand-eye coordination or whatever it is that lets hitters hit baseballs consistently and he's never going to hit for a good average.  when he manages to make contact, he has good power.  he's ok at distinguishing balls from strikes.  it's not an approach thing, it's just his natural ability.

keep him as long as he's cheap.  whenever he has had enough time in the league that his salary is higher than other equivalent players, dump him.  or if the royals develop a better homegrown option (lol).  any replacement that isn't significantly better will need an animal nicname.

hosmer - he's well above average at hand-eye coord, he's just Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) or blind or has some other problem that makes him swing at horrendous pitches.  if he could stop doing that, he'd hit for a v. good average with decent power.

give him a couple of years to stop swinging at stupid pitches (and punish him for not learning during that time).  if he hasn't gotten smarter by then, dump him.

butler - he's going downhill.  he's not that old, but some people decline precipitously.  he's lost both power and the ability to make contact.  it sucks that formerly one of your best players got the baseball equivalent of cancer at 40, but it happens.  dump him either now or at the end of the season and use the money elsewhere.  you aren't going to get a great replacement for the same salary unless you get lucky, but you can probably get a fairly equivalent replacement much cheaper and use the money to improve other positions.

for the rest of the year, i'd have no problem just rotating the dh spot around the current roster plus whoever they can pick up free as long as it doesn't mean keeping maxwell on the team.  but they could keep butler too, just as long as they don't extend him for next year and beyond.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: July 07, 2014, 06:41:56 PM »
my opinion on the royals problem hitters based on eye tests (keep in mind, i know nothing about baseball).  with recommendations on roster management.

moose - he's a shitty hitter.  he just doesn't have good hand-eye coordination or whatever it is that lets hitters hit baseballs consistently and he's never going to hit for a good average.  when he manages to make contact, he has good power.  he's ok at distinguishing balls from strikes.  it's not an approach thing, it's just his natural ability.

keep him as long as he's cheap.  whenever he has had enough time in the league that his salary is higher than other equivalent players, dump him.  or if the royals develop a better homegrown option (lol).  any replacement that isn't significantly better will need an animal nicname.

hosmer - he's well above average at hand-eye coord, he's just Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) or blind or has some other problem that makes him swing at horrendous pitches.  if he could stop doing that, he'd hit for a v. good average with decent power.

give him a couple of years to stop swinging at stupid pitches (and punish him for not learning during that time).  if he hasn't gotten smarter by then, dump him.

butler - he's going downhill.  he's not that old, but some people decline precipitously.  he's lost both power and the ability to make contact.  it sucks that formerly one of your best players got the baseball equivalent of cancer at 40, but it happens.  dump him either now or at the end of the season and use the money elsewhere.  you aren't going to get a great replacement for the same salary unless you get lucky, but you can probably get a fairly equivalent replacement much cheaper and use the money to improve other positions.

for the rest of the year, i'd have no problem just rotating the dh spot around the current roster plus whoever they can pick up free as long as it doesn't mean keeping maxwell on the team.  but they could keep butler too, just as long as they don't extend him for next year and beyond.

For someone who knows nothing about baseball, that was some pretty good analysis. If you were to really devote yourself to the game, I bet you'd be whipping Billy Beane's ass in like three years, tops.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:49 PM »
 Bases loaded nobody out and no one scores

Royals man

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: July 07, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
 :bang:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: July 07, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
I can't stand looking at TB's catcher.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: July 07, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
How did we score? I'm gamecasting this thing till 8.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
Gordon and Infant r

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: July 07, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »
Infante got rbis. Hosmer and Perez scored

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: July 07, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
Infante got rbis. Hosmer and Perez scored
:thumbs: Thx!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: July 07, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
We should have picked up Bonds over Ibanez. Woof!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: July 07, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
We should have picked up Bonds over Ibanez. Woof!
when they signed him I immediately looked up what Miguel Tejada might be up to these days

Dayton is just awful

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: July 07, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »
That pitch  :ROFL:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: July 07, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
I liked Miguel.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: July 07, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
I liked Miguel.
everybody did

Also there is no physical way maxwell can't do better than Raul I mean Jesus rough ridin' Christ