Author Topic: how good are we?  (Read 7188 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: how good are we?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
Judge fades away on every shot.  I've never seen someone fade that much on a jump hook.  People should start calling a "fade-away" a "fade-awally" because that's how much he does it.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
I have pretty LBBIQ but I don't think Judge has any skills on the offensive end.

he can shoot.  very raw w/ back to basket.

He can dunk. The rest of his offensive game is very meh, to put it nicely.

he can shoot.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:46:43 AM »
I was most pleased to see us play suffocating defense for long stretches vs Wash.
This, we have so many weapons on offense that we shouldn't have a problem scoring. The question is the D, and Sunday looked pretty good for that.

I have pretty LBBIQ but I was never worried about our D coming into this season.  

The concern is how well do the new guys and returners who didn't play much adapt to playing Martin's style of defense.  We know some of the returners can defend, but the quality of our depth will be determined by the new comers being able to come in and do that as well.

the past few years have taught me that there is a learning curve for anyone new to the Huggins/Martin mentality on defense, not just focused on freshman and younger players.  you've got to have quick feet on d to avoid fouling out within minutes of hitting the floor.  this is how Tay earns his minutes and OJ will.

i think freddy and sprads will have the most problems.

Also why DPete probably won't be seeing many minutes for quite a while.   :cry:

actually, rumblings DPete is a good defender

I have heard that too, but don't know how HS defense and time off translates to Frank's brand of D.  Hopefully it is a quicker transition than I would think.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
I was most pleased to see us play suffocating defense for long stretches vs Wash.
This, we have so many weapons on offense that we shouldn't have a problem scoring. The question is the D, and Sunday looked pretty good for that.

I have pretty LBBIQ but I was never worried about our D coming into this season.  

The concern is how well do the new guys and returners who didn't play much adapt to playing Martin's style of defense.  We know some of the returners can defend, but the quality of our depth will be determined by the new comers being able to come in and do that as well.

the past few years have taught me that there is a learning curve for anyone new to the Huggins/Martin mentality on defense, not just focused on freshman and younger players.  you've got to have quick feet on d to avoid fouling out within minutes of hitting the floor.  this is how Tay earns his minutes and OJ will.

Also why DPete probably won't be seeing many minutes for quite a while.   :cry:

actually, rumblings DPete is a good defender

I have heard that too, but don't know how HS defense and time off translates to Frank's brand of D.  Hopefully it is a quicker transition than I would think.

no, rumblings that he can defend well currently in practice..not old articles talking about him guarding whatshisnuts.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:03:13 AM by steve dave »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »
I have pretty LBBIQ but I don't think Judge has any skills on the offensive end.

he can shoot.

Well, yeah, he can miss shots, if that's what you're saying.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »

Not necessarily worried, it is just going to be the deciding factor on whether we get to see Mcgruder and Judge show off their skills on the offensive end or if Frank will have to go with less offensively skilled guys who can play D. Which he will, so I guess I shouldn't be worried about the D, just about the D of the guys who I think are some of our best offensive threats.

K, I guess I think he's pretty good.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »

he can shoot.

he can make jump shots better than most posts

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
devon is going to be an amazing defender.  all big 12 type ... by next year

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »
devon is going to be an amazing defender.  all big 12 type ... by next year

:users:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »

he can shoot.

he can make jump shots better than most posts

This might be true, but I haven't seen him take enough jump shots for me to call him a good shooter. I will say that I have never seen a good jump shooter that shoots free throws as poorly as Wally does.

I think Judge is a great player, and the team will be fantastic, but most of his points will come off of put-backs. He is a much bigger presence on defense than offense. If he could start making those hook shots he keeps missing, he would be unstoppable.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
Judge might moonlight as a stripper but he gets paid to be a ho.  He better start putting out otherwise he won't be walking the streets but for a few hours per night when no one else can get out there.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »
As long as Judge plays defense, rebounds, and stays out of foul trouble, he can average 12 points and 8 boards just being an athlete; put backs, running the floor, hit 65% FTs, score on a post entry or two per game.  We have Kelly and Asprilla that can post up and score back to the basket; we really don't need Judge to do it. 

JMHO.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »

no, rumblings that he can defend well currently in practice..not old articles talking about him guarding whatshisnuts.  
[/quote]

:pbj:

Anything else rumbling?  When will this guy play?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »
fair to middlin'   :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »

the past few years have taught me that there is a learning curve for anyone new to the Huggins/Martin mentality on defense, not just focused on freshman and younger players.  you've got to have quick feet on d to avoid fouling out within minutes of hitting the floor.  this is how Tay earns his minutes and OJ will.

Yes, this will be interesting to watch.  I will say that at least in the exhibitions Sprads getting beat reminded me of Clemente getting beat.  He was at least trying to pressure the ball most of the time when he got beat whichFrank seems to tolerate over simply being lazy or not being in position (see Russell and at times McGruds).  The only time Sprads got pulled was when he made stupid TOs, not b/c of his defense.

I believe the Freshmen and transfers are already better defenders than the sophomores, by the end of the season there will be no doubt.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 06:00:47 PM »
As long as Judge...hit 65% FTs, score on a post entry or two

Absolutely no shot of the first thing happening, minimal on the second

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
As long as Judge...hit 65% FTs, score on a post entry or two

Absolutely no shot of the first thing happening, minimal on the second

True, 60% is probably realistic. He's a slightly better FT shooter than Samuels at least who will also shoot a ton of FTs.

Offline StayOutOfTrees

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
I am doing my statically math here, since most of you gave the football team 4 or 5 wins out of 12 and  already have 6 wins already, plus should get 2 more wins, *typing on calculator*, I am guessing our basketball team will have like 50 wins this season. If you don't understand how that is possible, I can keep explaining it dumbasses, you just don't get it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
I am doing my statically math here, since most of you gave the football team 4 or 5 wins out of 12 and  already have 6 wins already, plus should get 2 more wins, *typing on calculator*, I am guessing our basketball team will have like 50 wins this season. If you don't understand how that is possible, I can keep explaining it dumbasses, you just don't get it.

you're a jackass. name the people who gave them 4 or 5 wins. time's up. you can't. jackass.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
Half this board predicted 4-5 wins for the f-ball team. 

Offline StayOutOfTrees

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 12:30:41 AM »

you're a jackass. name the people who gave them 4 or 5 wins. time's up. you can't. jackass.

I have to admit, there was fewer people that predicticted 4 or five wins or less than I thought, won't even name the pre-season people who thought we would have 5 wins wins or less, but after the crew found out coffman was starting, can name about twenty, lol.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 02:08:14 AM »
Pretty sure there are still a few emawtards that will swear we won't win 5 this year.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »
Half this board predicted 4-5 wins for the f-ball team. 

link?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »

I have to admit, there was fewer people that predicticted 4 or five wins or less than I thought, won't even name the pre-season people who thought we would have 5 wins wins or less, but after the crew found out coffman was starting, can name about twenty, lol.

name them then jackass. i'd love to have that list. i'll line them all up right behind you on my biggest jackass on goEMAW pdf list file that i keep on my desktop. it shouldn't take you long since you just said you could name about twenty.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
As long as Judge plays defense, rebounds, and stays out of foul trouble, he can average 12 points and 8 boards just being an athlete; put backs, running the floor, hit 65% FTs, score on a post entry or two per game.  We have Kelly and Asprilla that can post up and score back to the basket; we really don't need Judge to do it. 

JMHO.

Ad hoc _FANalysis is one of the finer things in life.