Author Topic: Mack Brown  (Read 89419 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Mack Brown
« Reply #475 on: December 15, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »
am I the only one kinda meh about Franklin?  I mean, what he's done at Vanderbilt is quasi-impressive, given the context of the program.  But, sample size is incredibly small and his best finish is 4th in an incredibly weak East Division.  I'll certainly give him credit for successfully being a black coach, but not sure that's enough to take over at UT. 

Shaw, on the other hand, is a stud.

If I were UT, I'd be working the back channels with Pete Carroll, who I'm sure will be ready to foray back into the college game after he checks Super Bowl off the list this year.

This thread is full of meh about Franklin. People who are down on Shaw won't admit they don't know anything about Stanford. How in the hell could anyone dissmiss his success because of Harbaugh when Shaw was his offensive coordinator? Shaw is 3 for 3 on making the BCS, 2 conference titles, and 2 COY awards. Stanford is currently the second best program west of the Mississippi, calling him a placeholder is rough ridin' dumb and borderline racist.

"League sources say Chip Kelly is prominent on the new list of new Longhorns AD Steve Patterson, who's heard that Kelly misses some aspects of the college football game," Mortensen said. "If Kelly is interested, an NCAA expert believes that the 18-month show cause for sanctions at Oregon was more like a slap on the wrist and was not a major hurdle."

Hmmmmmm, that's interesting.

Even if Harbaugh or Carroll have mild interest they would be tough hires because they will be coaching well into January if not February, taking a non playoff bound coach is much easier to navigate.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

Shaw

Hi SD. Have a question for you.  There is no way Shaw turns UT down, right?

Hi zacker. Shaw would be on the first and fastest horse out of town if Texas winked at him.

Just like Saban right? No one can resist the siren call of lovely Austin, Texas, America's Ibiza.

Hi MIR-

Yes, Saban would have gone to Texas if they wanted him.

:gocho:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
Hi sd-

When will Pelini be fired like predicted?  It's getting late

Hi LSOC-

He won't be. Whatever idiot said he would be is an idiot.

He would probably get fired after his bowl game if he had to play K-State.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
am I the only one kinda meh about Franklin?  I mean, what he's done at Vanderbilt is quasi-impressive, given the context of the program.  But, sample size is incredibly small and his best finish is 4th in an incredibly weak East Division.  I'll certainly give him credit for successfully being a black coach, but not sure that's enough to take over at UT. 

If I were UT, I'd be working the back channels with Pete Carroll, who I'm sure will be ready to foray back into the college game after he checks Super Bowl off the list this year.

This thread is full of meh about Franklin. People who are down on Shaw won't admit they don't know anything about Stanford. How in the hell could anyone dissmiss his success because of Harbaugh when Shaw was his offensive coordinator? Shaw is 3 for 3 on making the BCS, 2 conference titles, and 2 COY awards. Stanford is currently the second best program west of the Mississippi, calling him a placeholder is rough ridin' dumb and borderline racist.

"League sources say Chip Kelly is prominent on the new list of new Longhorns AD Steve Patterson, who's heard that Kelly misses some aspects of the college football game," Mortensen said. "If Kelly is interested, an NCAA expert believes that the 18-month show cause for sanctions at Oregon was more like a slap on the wrist and was not a major hurdle."

Even if Harbaugh or Carroll have mild interest they would be tough hires because they will be coaching well into January if not February, taking a non playoff bound coach is much easier to navigate.

Why does everyone on this board have a hard-on for race? Can't win an argument? Pull the race card.

You want a minority coach that is good? Mike Tomlin, Kevin Sumlin, Charlie Strong. Those guys built what they have. Shaw is sitting in a system. He has Top-3 talent on the west-coast. (arguably 2nd most). One of the easiest schools to recruit to, with deep pockets and low standards for success.

He lost to Utah (who?) and a Ed Orgeron coached team. If Helfrich weren't such a clueless clown, Oregon probably would have blown them out. They will probably lose to Michigan State.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
not only is shaw good at coaching football... he is the "nice guy" (at least appearing so) that texas likes to have.  this summer the shag was full of people saying they wouldn't want saban because the perception of their program as clean was more important than the wins.  obviously that tone changed as they got their ass ran over in the non-con, but it still makes shaw an attractive candidate.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 15, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
I could maybe see Kelly but you never see successful nfl guys jump down.

catzacker

« Reply #481 on: December 15, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »
Wait, Tomlin, Sumlin and Strong built their own, but Shaw didn't?  JFC, that's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) just repeating it.  Strong, yes.  The others, should be treated/categorized the same.  Either they (Sumlin, Tomlin, Shaw) build theirs or didn't build theirs.  And I suppose if you want to say Tomlin "built" Pittsburg when Ben was on the roster go ahead.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »

Why does everyone on this board have a hard-on for race? Can't win an argument? Pull the race card.

You want a minority coach that is good? Mike Tomlin, Kevin Sumlin, Charlie Strong. Those guys built what they have. Shaw is sitting in a system. He has Top-3 talent on the west-coast. (arguably 2nd most). One of the easiest schools to recruit to, with deep pockets and low standards for success.

He lost to Utah (who?) and a Ed Orgeron coached team. If Helfrich weren't such a clueless clown, Oregon probably would have blown them out. They will probably lose to Michigan State.

Shaw is a system Guy?  Holy crap dude, you serious?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »

He has Top-3 talent on the west-coast. (arguably 2nd most). One of the easiest schools to recruit to, with deep pockets and low standards for success.

At UT he will have Top 3 talent nationally, one of the easiest schools to recruit to and deep pockets.  Sounds like a good fit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 15, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Also, considering Shaw can yell Andrew Luck at the top of his lungs to any QB recruit he wants and probably snag him (at UT), I don't know if there is a coach I would want more.

People seem to downplay that he was a Stanford grad though.  That part makes me think that when he leaves Stanford, its for the NFL

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 15, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
Sweet Jesus, eastcat take a lap or ten

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2013, 02:08:32 PM »
People seem to downplay that he was a Stanford grad though.  That part makes me think that when he leaves Stanford, its for the NFL

:surprised:  did not know this!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #487 on: December 15, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure Muschamp is hciw.

If I was UT I'd scrap that and hire Malzhan.

LOL at UT hiring rough ridin' Shaw or Strong. I mean LOfuckingL. Sumlin would be epic, tho.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 15, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
You idiots that even bring up sumlin are well....idiots, he has it in his contract that he can't go to texas

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 15, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
Did eastcat say that Strong is a better candidate than Shaw? Did I really read that correctly, surely I didn't?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 15, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
You idiots that even bring up sumlin are well....idiots, he has it in his contract that he can't go to texas

Good point, no coach has ever broken a contract to take another job. Would be unprecedented

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »

Good point, no coach has ever broken a contract to take another job. Would be unprecedented

Don't think it's really in his contract.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 15, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »
Quote from: all the lawyers at gE
:lol:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 15, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »

Don't think it's really in his contract.
it is....according to "sources" regardless sumlin to ut had a worse chance than saban to ut. Sumlin is nfl bound in two years

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Mack Brown
« Reply #494 on: December 15, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »
I don't think Sumlin is a very good coach. Texas isn't interested IMO (even outside of whatever weird contract stuff he may have)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
Sumlin to UT is a ridiculous long shot, that doesn't mean the entertainment value of it wouldn't have been epic

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 15, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Sumlin to UT is a ridiculous long shot, that doesn't mean the entertainment value of it wouldn't have been epic

Oh, absolutely

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 15, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »

This was my point

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 15, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »
I don't think Sumlin is a very good coach. Texas isn't interested IMO (even outside of whatever weird contract stuff he may have)

Neither does he, that is why he leveraged USC into a fat contract from aggy.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 15, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »

Neither does he, that is why he leveraged USC into a fat contract from aggy.

what