Author Topic: Mack Brown  (Read 89414 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Mack Brown
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Not sure if its good or bad Tony Kornheiser is on the UT is best bandwagon, in the end I think Wilbon (:love:) was too.

LHN is a big thing, I don't know if an SEC team would be able to do it too since the SEC as a conference has been working so hard for their own channel.  Which really shows how badly the Big 12 has failed as a conference too.  Sheer size of the AD is the big thing.  Revenue for UT is >30% bigger in 2012 which means a lot in the arms race of college athletics. 

But since Old Balls is in the business of handing out jobs to coaches who have been put out to pasture, lets work on a Mack for "advisor" position now.
Yea, like we got five mil to hand out to an "advisor"  after we gave LHCBS an whole 1/4 mil this year.  Now that's scary.  Thank God half the posters on here don't have anything to do with the AD.

Well first I wouldn't pay him 5 mill, more like give him a chance to snag recruits away from Texas just to be a dick.  Plus I really don't see him coaching anywhere big time after Texas, maybe I'm wrong. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
lol at a team about to run a fairly recent Natty winning coach as an easier job.  I guess no UT fans are killing trees in City Park.

Since losing to Nick Saban and Alabama in the BCS Championship game Mack is 18-17 in conference. I think an Alabama fan would attempt to murk Saban or anyone else that had a 4 year run like that.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »
lol at a team about to run a fairly recent Natty winning coach as an easier job.  I guess no UT fans are killing trees in City Park.

Since losing to Nick Saban and Alabama in the BCS Championship game Mack is 18-17 in conference. I think an Alabama fan would attempt to murk Saban or anyone else that had a 4 year run like that.
I poke fun, but I think we all agree they are both very hard places to coach because of the fans and alums.  I would wager that Texas has a different kind of pressure though because of the political connections and wealthy alums associated with the University (Yes I'm assuming UT has more big shot, small dick, hear me roar alums).

And I hadn't noticed Shula's tenure being brought up (oh there on page 7), didn't realize he went 26-23 at Bama.  So its fair to say that both jobs have allowed people to stick around for too long.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »

I poke fun, but I think we all agree they are both very hard places to coach because of the fans and alums.  I would wager that Texas has a different kind of pressure though because of the political connections and wealthy alums associated with the University (Yes I'm assuming UT has more big shot, small dick, hear me roar alums).

And I hadn't noticed Shula's tenure being brought up (oh there on page 7), didn't realize he went 26-23 at Bama.  So its fair to say that both jobs have allowed people to stick around for too long.

That record for Shula was borderline miraculous considering what he had to deal with. He took over for Price after spring football after the hotel room whore scandal. They had NCAA sanctions and he was not at all ready for that job. If he didn't have those sanctions his first two years I doubt he wouldn't have gotten that much time.

I wonder how good of a coach Mike Price would have been there, WSU was hot garbage after he left. He was very good at Pullman but in retrospect he's looking Snyderesque.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »
When will Mack begin posting here?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2013, 01:44:49 AM »

That record for Shula was borderline miraculous considering what he had to deal with. He took over for Price after spring football after the hotel room whore scandal. They had NCAA sanctions and he was not at all ready for that job. If he didn't have those sanctions his first two years I doubt he wouldn't have gotten that much time.

I wonder how good of a coach Mike Price would have been there, WSU was hot garbage after he left. He was very good at Pullman but in retrospect he's looking Snyderesque.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Price was booted before he had a chance to really put his finger prints on the program? 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:11 AM »
I would like to hear MIR explain the criteria of how bama  prior to Saban was the best program in America.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Price was booted before he had a chance to really put his finger prints on the program?

Correct, he never coached one game. I'm not sure what all went down but he was fired for spending $1000 at a strip club then charging it on his Alabama issued CC or something. I hope he at least got some free miles out of the deal.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
So you take back the endowment thing, fair enough.

Also for the third time now, not sure how you missed it the first two times but among those cut and pasted sentences I typed this

Texas has done a great job of making itself a big boy and the fact that this conversation is being had is a testament to how incredible Deloss Dodds was as an AD.

Its not a better job than Alabama, its not a top 5 historical program, but I'd concede that its the 2nd best job in the country. My issue with this whole argument is that some act like UT is a much better job and the only substantial advantage that could even be argued is Austin vs. Tuscaloosa.

I'm not so sure you that Texas isn't a top 5 historical program.  I think you can make an argument for them at #4 or #5 depending on what criteria you're looking at in determining a top 5 program.  Again I can listen to the argument that Texas isn't a top 5 historical program but I'd need to see some evidence as to why they aren't. 

Here's my argument as to why they are a top 5 program.  They're second in all-time wins, fifth in win percentage, second in bowl game appearances, 106 out of 119 winning seasons and they have four national championships.  I think the most important categories in determining top programs are wins, win% and NC's.  Texas is top five in two out three of those categories.  How many other schools can say the same?
@lopakman

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Only the last 20 years should be taken into account when judging a program. A natty from 1955 means nothing to me.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2013, 08:35:50 AM »
Only the last 20 years should be taken into account when judging a program. A natty from 1955 means nothing to me.

I agree. It has some merit, but right now a coach is going to look at which program is a top 5 program for resources to win, and Texas is definitely in that category.

I don't think Saban is going to get his ego stroked much more by winning another NC at Alabama. He's done enough there. And I think the challenge of going to another conference to win a national title could be enough to move him, and if he's going to do that, its hard to argue with opportunity that Texas presents. The other option right now would be USC, but I think UT tops USC.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »
When he took over bama it was like taking over a better and more storied version of nebraska..
high expectations for no real reason other than the name and what they use to be

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
So you take back the endowment thing, fair enough.

Also for the third time now, not sure how you missed it the first two times but among those cut and pasted sentences I typed this

Texas has done a great job of making itself a big boy and the fact that this conversation is being had is a testament to how incredible Deloss Dodds was as an AD.

Its not a better job than Alabama, its not a top 5 historical program, but I'd concede that its the 2nd best job in the country. My issue with this whole argument is that some act like UT is a much better job and the only substantial advantage that could even be argued is Austin vs. Tuscaloosa.

I'm not so sure you that Texas isn't a top 5 historical program.  I think you can make an argument for them at #4 or #5 depending on what criteria you're looking at in determining a top 5 program.  Again I can listen to the argument that Texas isn't a top 5 historical program but I'd need to see some evidence as to why they aren't. 

Here's my argument as to why they are a top 5 program.  They're second in all-time wins, fifth in win percentage, second in bowl game appearances, 106 out of 119 winning seasons and they have four national championships.  I think the most important categories in determining top programs are wins, win% and NC's.  Texas is top five in two out three of those categories.  How many other schools can say the same?
For the record, I never said UT was the better "program" than Alabama (although I think it could be argued), only that it's a better coaching job. Those are two totally different things.

I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
i mean out of 126 FBS schools, Texas and Alabama both are top 5 programs and coaching jobs, are they not?

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 12, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
i mean out of 126 FBS schools, Texas and Alabama both are top 5 programs and coaching jobs, are they not?

I think so. 
@lopakman

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »

Yes IMHO.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
Bring on Butter Teeth!

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:22 AM »
Alamo bowl presser in 20 minutes.. bitch tits will only answer questions from the longhorns radio guy

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

titletown..lulz

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
I don't know why Texas fans are so mean to Mack.  What he's done for Texas is pretty much unequaled success in their history.

How many straight years did he win ten games?

Is he not the last non-SEC coach to win a National Title?

Did he not thump Oklahoma in the RRR this year?

It's pretty disgusting how they treat him.  He's a good dude who elevated that program to what it is today.  A lot of Texas fans are being ungrateful.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
I don't know why Texas fans are so mean to Mack.  What he's done for Texas is pretty much unequaled success in their history.

It's pretty disgusting how they treat him.  He's a good dude who elevated that program to what it is today.  A lot of Texas fans are being ungrateful.

If you fail in the CTR, you will only last so long at Texas.  that is how the biggest rivalry in sports goes.

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »

5 million a year for 1.5 million a yr results is why.

No reason to feel sorry for him...he'll be paid off well after this.

titletown..lulz

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »

5 million a year for 1.5 million a yr results is why.

No reason to feel sorry for him...he'll be paid off well after this.

Chump change for Texas.

He deserves it for making Texas a top 5 job.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
The ridiculous expectations fans and supporters have at Bama thanks to Saban could be another reason that he would bail for Texas.  Saban has plateaued at Bama, and expectations at Texas would be easy to meet and exceed. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
One thing I think has been overlooked is the fact that Saban doesn't exactly have a rosy relationship with the media. The LHN demands more interaction with media than he would face at any other job. Pastries for thought.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »
Mack at press conference for the Alamo Bowl, brushed off resignation questions like a pro.