Author Topic: Mack Brown  (Read 88628 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Mack Brown
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »

Knowing full well that any numbers I throw out will aid and abet the enemy, I will say the minimum. Again, full disclosure, I'm reporting a story that seems to be taking on a life of it's own but I feel it's important to post now so this website is credited for the work. To that end, I'll also be posting my real identity tomorrow and I will email all subsequent stories to the various media outlets including but not limited to ESPN, CBS Sports, etc.

Here's what I got.

In talking to various sources plugged into the Alabama and Texas sides, it seems Nick Saban is roughly $20 million in the hole due to investments with LSU and Alabama alums. These investments are predominantly in the commercial real estate space. For his trouble, Nick Saban is not a happy camper with these two alumni bases and has a hole in his retirement plan that Mark Ingram could run through. Additionally, I'm told Texas and the Longhorn Foundation have "passed the hat" to provide a dollar amount up front that nearly makes Nick Saban whole after these defunct investments. Call it the Lamarr Houston/Roy Miller investment strategy. The mechanism used to fund this "bonus" will be off the books in order to make the total compensation package more politically palatable when it's officially announced. Texas does not want to be perceived as the Yankees and again, I don't want to help negotiations with enemy.

As far as conventional compensation, look for the number to be right around eight million a year for six years with a two-year option. This structure makes it more acceptable to the BOR and the academics in the school. Don't tell them how much the athletic department contributes to the general fund because they won't listen. Just know that the football men understand how the perception game is played.

Trust me, I understand that there's always a counter offer in these deals, but I'm told that the Bama president does not want to get in a bidding war against Texas because she doesn't want it to seem like Bama is a semi-pro team. Again, this is the academic's mindset at work. She's, after all, Bill Powers' peer or at least is attempting to be. Add this item to the fact that Bama's Athletic Director Bill Battle has gotten sideways with Saban, and it doesn't bode well for the Tide. One final piece is Chancellor Witt.

Dr. Witt is the only ally that Saban has at the administrative level at Bama and he happens to be a Texas guy. Yes, Dr. Witt has a soft spot in his heart for Texas, and has told folks close to the Texas AD that he thinks Saban is headed to Austin.

If Saban is announced as the Texas head football coach in the next few days, fans will be in line to enjoy an historic change in culture and football operations in general.

Like you, I will enjoy the process.

In other words, I will look forward to Nick Saban's process.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
Is that an excuse from an Alabama source to explain why he leaves the 2 time national champ for the better conference of Big 12?  bad investments?  LOL

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
Sabez would be leaving for four reasons:

1.  Easier path to the playoffs

2.  Beating the posse out of town

3.  Texas is elite

4.  Straight cash, homey

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »
Sabez would be leaving for four reasons:

1.  Easier path to the playoffs

2.  Beating the posse out of town

3.  Texas is elite

4.  Straight cash, homey

This makes perfect sense.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
I think Saban would be stupid to leave Bama.

The Big Train

« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2013, 12:08:15 AM »

Reasons being?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2013, 12:09:02 AM »

he owes like $200MM to investors in nigeria :dubious:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »

Reasons being?

He would have to associate himself with oscar Weber because they would both be coaches in the Big 12, albeit in different sports.  Nick simply can't go there. Nuff said.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »
Is that an excuse from an Alabama source to explain why he leaves the 2 time national champ for the better conference of Big 12?  bad investments?  LOL

From a texas source

The Big Train

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 12:25:01 AM »

Reasons being?

He would have to associate himself with oscar Weber because they would both be coaches in the Big 12, albeit in different sports.  Nick simply can't go there. Nuff said.

Have you seen some of the coaches in the SEC? Woof.

Need another reason.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 12:29:15 AM »

Reasons being?

Need another reason.

Nick is the best in the SEC. I'd think he wouldn't want anything to do with a conference associated with oscar. Nick is better than that.

The Big Train

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 12:31:35 AM »

Reasons being?

Need another reason.

Nick is the best in the SEC. I'd think he wouldn't want anything to do with a conference associated with oscar.

Gus Malzahn is the best in the SEC. Next!  :D

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

Reasons being?

Need another reason.

Nick is the best in the SEC. I'd think he wouldn't want anything to do with a conference associated with oscar.

Gus Malzahn is the best in the SEC. Next!  :D

Nick has proven he's the best over the past few years. Gus has one SEC confy champ. If Nick stays, he wins...if he doesn't, Gus may take the crown. Gus is a real deal.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2013, 12:39:11 AM »
I bet Saban can recruit as well or better at Alabama

The Big Train

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2013, 12:41:26 AM »
I bet Saban can recruit as well or better at Alabama

I bet its about the same or better at Texas.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2013, 07:14:01 AM »
You'll notice that I did NOT add recruiting to my list of four reasons.

It is obvious that the recruiting would be at the same level or better than Bama, but let's just assume the same, for the sake of this conversation.

5th reason...Has anyone ever won a national championship at three different schools?  Is he a proud man who would value that sort of "legacy" thing?  He clearly isn't very loyal (see Miami and LSU)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2013, 07:26:39 AM »
Nick Saban has been a football coach since 1975. He has coached 13 different locations and his average stay at any place is 2.9 years over that span. He's been at Bama for 6 years, by far his longest stay anywhere in his career. He may not go to Texas, but he won't be at Bama much longer. JMHO.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Sabez baby, come home

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
It is obvious that the recruiting would be at the same level or better than Bama,

I don't think that's obvious.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
Sabez baby, come home

Agreed. WVU would love to have ya.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »

Reasons being?

It's harder to win a national championship at Texas than it is at Alabama. He's old, and he would have to start all over when he could just stay where he is and win a national championship 2 out of every 3 years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
DKR played in a shitty conference compared to the Big 12. No Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Colorado, or Nebraska. Mack would have won like 20 national championships if he could have coached at Texas during the 70s.
And has a way better results than Mack. It's not like the Big 12 these days is super powerful outside of your token team not named OU/TX...besides, Mack would've been LONG gone had it not been for Vince & Colt.
[/quote]

Mack has done a poor job evaluating talent at QB on the recruiting trail over the last few years. If he were operating under the same rules as DKR, that wouldn't matter. Manziel and Winston would be on his roster at QB, along with just about all of the other good players on various teams around the Big 12. Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU would all be dogshit programs that rarely go .500 and Texas would be great every year. DKR just had the benefit of being the coach at Texas when the rules created an unlevel playing field and only a handful of schools across the country were even capable of competing.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:13 AM »
It is obvious that the recruiting would be at the same level or better than Bama,

I don't think that's obvious.

there's only like 3 of their top 15 kids from alabama.  They are from all over the south, but there's ok, mn, fl, va, iowa in there as well.

I'm guessing its easier to get into alabama than texas though?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2013, 08:46:04 AM »
I think all of this Saban to UT talk is just a smokescreen coordinated by IRL best friends Mack and Bill to throw the media off of what is going to be announced after our bowl game. 
@mikec2w

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »
I think all of this Saban to UT talk is just a smokescreen coordinated by IRL best friends Mack and Bill to throw the media off of what is going to be announced after our bowl game.

I agree. I look forward to our future matchups against Dana's longhorns.