Author Topic: streaming - highlights  (Read 3370 times)

Offline SaltCreek

• Fan
    • View Profile
streaming - highlights
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
OK heres the deal.

I have quite a bit of resources available to me at the school I teach at that I could use to help stream k-state games.  I currently use a macbook pro to stream our high school football games, my question for you streaming guys and highlight makes.  How do you get the video out of your dvr/cable box/satelite receiver to your computer??  For Football I use the firewire out on my camera to connect to the computer input. Thanks

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: streaming - highlights
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
godspeed saltcreek  :kstatriot:

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »
OK heres the deal.

I have quite a bit of resources available to me at the school I teach at that I could use to help stream k-state games.  I currently use a macbook pro to stream our high school football games, my question for you streaming guys and highlight makes.  How do you get the video out of your dvr/cable box/satelite receiver to your computer??  For Football I use the firewire out on my camera to connect to the computer input. Thanks

The Cox digital cable boxes here in Manhattan have a firewire output that I always used to pull video into my mac. Never streamed though

Offline SaltCreek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
Unfortunately I have crappy Dish Network.  They have a usb but it is only for external storage, or so I have been told.  Anyone know if I can run a pass through on my camera, i.e. use the rca's as input into the camera then out the firewire to my computer??

Thanks again

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
Unfortunately I have crappy Dish Network.  They have a usb but it is only for external storage, or so I have been told.  Anyone know if I can run a pass through on my camera, i.e. use the rca's as input into the camera then out the firewire to my computer??

Thanks again

pm hemmy

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »

Thanks again

Not sure if USB would be fast enough, but you may give it a try even if it says it won't work.  I used some free software called AVCVideoCap to capture video.

Offline BEFR

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
been forever since i've done this... but, can't manycam software (free download) broadcast direct anything that appears on your computer monitor?  i'm pretty sure it's that simple, so that an upload to somewhere like justin.tv would be zero co$t... from one of the many k-statriots far away, thanks in advance saltCREEK!

Offline SaltCreek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
I am not worried about the streaming, just physically getting the signal from the tv to my computer.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
 :combofan:

Offline PurpleOrb

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:51:12 AM »
You need to pick up an interface device to get the video signal on your mac. EyeTV is a retail product that is very popular. I'm sure there are cheaper solutions, but in the end, you will need to find some sort of break-away-box. Do a search for "Mac TV Tuner" and it should pull up something that will fit your needs.

Once you have this, as stated below, you can use 1 of 1000's of applications that stream a screen-capture in the finder. The nice thing about doing it this way is you actually get game audio as well.

You may be able to use your camera, but more then likely it will cause a burn-out to prevent the use of the camera recording CC video. (the slow dark to light phase you see when u try to hook up your dvd player through your vcr inputs, ect) It was the first step in trying to man handle the natural disaster of placing video in a digital format and retaining rights.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:42 AM »
You need to pick up an interface device to get the video signal on your mac. EyeTV is a retail product that is very popular. I'm sure there are cheaper solutions, but in the end, you will need to find some sort of break-away-box. Do a search for "Mac TV Tuner" and it should pull up something that will fit your needs.

Once you have this, as stated below, you can use 1 of 1000's of applications that stream a screen-capture in the finder. The nice thing about doing it this way is you actually get game audio as well.

You may be able to use your camera, but more then likely it will cause a burn-out to prevent the use of the camera recording CC video. (the slow dark to light phase you see when u try to hook up your dvd player through your vcr inputs, ect) It was the first step in trying to man handle the natural disaster of placing video in a digital format and retaining rights.

I don't know what the eff this guy is talking about but I'm pretty sure this is good stuff.

:combofan:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:48 AM »

powerorb, can you name one of the 1000s of applications that stream a screen capture in the finder with Elgato hw/sw?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:11 AM »
Couldn't you just get a plain old video capture card to get the signal into the computer?  The one I have has inputs for Coaxial, s-video, and composite video.  Works fine for watching or recording live TV on the computer.  At that point, should be easy to stream.  Ditch the Mac, get a cheap PC and a Hauppauge card.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline PurpleOrb

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »
he already has a mac book pro - if he picked up a cheap pc and video input card it would still be more expensive then the basic eyeTV box - surely they have an option under $100.

as to the software, I did a basic google search for "mac screen broadcast" and I found a forum with a link to some software that looks like it will work. "GrabberRaster." I would also search for "Mac Screen Casting." I know the software is out there - but I did not know how proprietary most of it is. My apologies. "Assumptions is the mother of all F*** ups."

There are plunty of software packages that allow you to stream plain video files - with the EyeTv device - you could stream out the game with a slight delay - but you would have to man the machine during the game.

The original poster seems like he can get the streaming side of things done as long as he has a way to get the video on his screen. Unless I read his post wrong, it sounds like he already uses a software package for his video camera that does basically the same thing as I was explaining above.

If i can find my old eyetv box from 2004 I will be happy to donate it - I will look when i get home later today.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
PurpleOrb is a valuable new addition to the goEMAW community

Offline SaltCreek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 10:37:34 AM »
Purple Orb-

You are my hero,  I understand what you are saying, and yes all I need is a conversion box of some sort.  I will check into what you suggest, but if you find your old one please let me know and maybe we can work something out!!   THANKS AGAIN

PS   I currently use livestream and it works great as I don't have to man it, and can be doing other things while it streams.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
he already has a mac book pro - if he picked up a cheap pc and video input card it would still be more expensive then the basic eyeTV box - surely they have an option under $100.

as to the software, I did a basic google search for "mac screen broadcast" and I found a forum with a link to some software that looks like it will work. "GrabberRaster." I would also search for "Mac Screen Casting." I know the software is out there - but I did not know how proprietary most of it is. My apologies. "Assumptions is the mother of all F*** ups."

There are plunty of software packages that allow you to stream plain video files - with the EyeTv device - you could stream out the game with a slight delay - but you would have to man the machine during the game.

The original poster seems like he can get the streaming side of things done as long as he has a way to get the video on his screen. Unless I read his post wrong, it sounds like he already uses a software package for his video camera that does basically the same thing as I was explaining above.

If i can find my old eyetv box from 2004 I will be happy to donate it - I will look when i get home later today.

i have an EyeTv that I haven't been able to figure out how to stream with.  streaming with PC seems easy but it's hard to find information on how to stream with Elgato software.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 10:57:41 AM »
when you get it up and running please use Veetle.com to stream. Veetle shits all over justin.tv

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 11:13:36 AM »
when you get it up and running please use Veetle.com to stream. Veetle shits all over justin.tv

I agree with this, much better quality.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »
he said he already uses livestream

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Veetle is way better than any Flash-based streaming video. Anyone who streams ought to look into this.

Offline PurpleOrb

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »
No eyeTV - just tracked it down and it turns out i traded it for an old external IDE interface months ago - I'm sorry.

Maybe you can get together with pissclams and work something out - wish I could help by tomorrow.

Would be happy to order one and get it to you on campus if you are short on cash and can't work something out with pissclams, I'm sure I can find one with some discount points somewhere.

Let me know, wish I could help more, sorry bud.

Offline SaltCreek

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
dude thanks for checking.  I'm not on campus, not really short on cash either.  May check into a slingbox, that I could use for multipurpose.  Once I get it figured out, I'll be sure to post where I am streaming.

thanks for everyone's input.

Offline carls_farkley

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 07:05:32 AM »
Saltcreek much appreciated in what you're trying to do hopefully you figure out the setup needed. Never hurts to have options when it comes to online streams of games.

I know a coupe guys who stream games, so far all the k-state football games and they're willing to do the same for most of the bball season. One of them is able to get the local FSKC only games for bball and streamed the Newman game and should be able to also this Sunday for the Washburn game.

Between the two of them most games should be covered! Just passing this info on to everyone on the board.  :weirdrobert:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »
dude thanks for checking.  I'm not on campus, not really short on cash either.  May check into a slingbox, that I could use for multipurpose.  Once I get it figured out, I'll be sure to post where I am streaming.

thanks for everyone's input.

Knew I recognized the name.  You live about 6 houses down from BSAC's main residence.