Author Topic: If you could time travel...  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If you could time travel...
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
and you could witness something, but not alter history, when/where would you go?

Me, I'd go back watch a premier of a Charlie Chaplin movie in 1928.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: If you could time travel...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Make sure to talk on your cell phone despite having no towers or satellites.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »

If they have time travel capabilities, I'm sure they've solved that problem in the future, so not technically a cell.  More like a Star Trek communicator.  :jeffy:

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
If????? I thought it already was happening.

:dunno:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »

If they have time travel capabilities, I'm sure they've solved that problem in the future, so not technically a cell.  More like a Star Trek communicator.  :jeffy:

I mean, duh.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »
Guys, this whole time travel phone conundrum was recognized and resolved in the '90's. 

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Guys, this whole time travel phone conundrum was recognized and resolved in the '90's. 

Settled in 1963, actually

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »
Wow, I've actually had two people email me that video in the last couple days.

OK... let's assume they've figured out time travel in the future, and not only that but apparently precise, safe time travel, which would be infinitely more problematic than time travel itself. So they can send actual human beings through overlaps in space time, maybe in or around a black hole, and manage to keep them alive and not crushed down smaller than an atom and placed when they want them, and even trickier, where they want them.

Assuming they've figured this all out, i'm betting they're also not dumb and/or completely insane enough to travel BACK in time. And if they are, they would make sure somehow not to effect the timeline, which would be practically impossible. And they sure as hell wouldn't be walking down the street like assholes in front of movie sets and interacting with people and creating literally millions and billions of alternate time-lines stretching out into infinity and creating and erasing millions of future beings with every step they took. Anyone who travels back in time risks destroying their own timeline and everyone's they know.

If you assume that the time travelers have traveled back in time with the intent to change the timeline to prevent some future event, which would indeed be the only reasonable explanation for them being there, they still sure as hell wouldn't do it by strolling down the sidewalk dressed in drag looking like a freak.

So yeah, it's not a time traveler, you rough ridin' fucks.

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 03:12:04 AM »

OK... let's assume they've figured out time travel in the future, and not only that but apparently precise, safe time travel, which would be infinitely more problematic than time travel itself. So they can send actual human beings through overlaps in space time, maybe in or around a black hole, and manage to keep them alive and not crushed down smaller than an atom and placed when they want them, and even trickier, where they want them.

Assuming they've figured this all out, i'm betting they're also not dumb and/or completely insane enough to travel BACK in time. And if they are, they would make sure somehow not to effect the timeline, which would be practically impossible. And they sure as hell wouldn't be walking down the street like assholes in front of movie sets and interacting with people and creating literally millions and billions of alternate time-lines stretching out into infinity and creating and erasing millions of future beings with every step they took. Anyone who travels back in time risks destroying their own timeline and everyone's they know.

If you assume that the time travelers have traveled back in time with the intent to change the timeline to prevent some future event, which would indeed be the only reasonable explanation for them being there, they still sure as hell wouldn't do it by strolling down the sidewalk dressed in drag looking like a freak.

So yeah, it's not a time traveler, you effing effs.

...or is it?

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »

So yeah, it's not a time traveler, you effing effs.

Yeah, like, let's say someone just went back to that Chaplin premiere "yesterday." If I already owned that DVD, that dude/chick clearly wouldn't have been in that scene because he/she hadn't gone back there "yet." So, when he/she did go back there "yesterday," would he/she suddenly appear in that scene on my DVD?

IT'S ALL TOO MUCH!!!!!!

Offline Christer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
Is that Biff?

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »

Sounds good, unless time is fluid and is open to all possiblities. Would also have to consider that there are probably people/places/events that are static and cannot be changed. Other than that, time is your oyster.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »

Who's to say the discovery of this isn't going to drastically change the future?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »

Who's to say the discovery of this isn't going to drastically change the future?
If anyone was to ever travel back in time as far as this or further, then it would have already happened.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »

If anyone was to ever travel back in time as far as this or further, then it would have already happened.

Prove it didn't happen. We wouldn't know. Except for that small situation with POTUSBO.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
If time travel ever becomes/became (whatever) possible Sirr Parker would never have been born.  Until I wake up and see a 1998 BigXII trophy in Manhattan I'll know time travel is impossible.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »
If time travel ever becomes/became (whatever) possible Sirr Parker would never have been born.  Until I wake up and see a 1998 BigXII trophy in Manhattan I'll know time travel is impossible.

That's the thing.  That means you will never travel through time and do that, because if you did, that would have been like 35 years ago, and you would have your big XII championship trophy right now. 

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 02:17:56 PM »

That's the thing.  That means you will never travel through time and do that, because if you did, that would have been like 35 years ago, and you would have your big XII championship trophy right now. 

Maybe Sirr Parker traveled back?

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »

Prove it didn't happen. We wouldn't know. Except for that small situation with POTUSBO.

Are you saying Obama is a Muslim from the future sent here to destroy America!?  :ohno: :horrorsurprise:

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »

Are you saying Obama is a Muslim from the future sent here to destroy America!?  :ohno: :horrorsurprise:

Not at all. Just saying someone changed the timeline to allow him to be elected. Only possible explanation.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
Assuming this is all one timeline (WHICH I DONT THINK IT IS!!!!), then with this person being outed as a time traveler,  How will it affect us right now?

In 2034 or whatever, when she does go back through time, will A) whatever time traveling governing body not let her go back for fear of a blown cover or B) send her back and make her recreate every scene with precision otherwise fading her out of the video ala BTTF?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »
If time travel were possible, EVER, it would destroy the timeline, because people are power-hungry and would "hot tub time machine" it and go back in time to make themselves rich.  Or we would have some crazy patriot come back in time to stop the WTC attacks.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
If time travel were possible, EVER, it would destroy the timeline, because people are power-hungry and would "hot tub time machine" it and go back in time to make themselves rich.  Or we would have some crazy patriot come back in time to stop the WTC attacks.

Maybe not. Something about fixed points in time that cannot be changed.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »

:driving: <- Chingon in his Delorian at just about 87.8 mph.