Author Topic: Elgato Mac TV Tuners w/ EyeTV software  (Read 4304 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Elgato Mac TV Tuners w/ EyeTV software
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:45:36 PM »
Does anyone have this?  And if so, can you explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Elgato Mac TV Tuners w/ EyeTV software
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:09 PM »
que clams in 4...3...2...

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:04:52 PM »
Does anyone have this?  And if so, can you explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.

would also appreciate this. tia

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
i have one, so does Pete.

you basically plug it into an open USB port and can either plug an antennae in and capture over the air HD (which looks great b/c it's not compressed) or  you can plug your cable to it from a spare cable jack and watch your cable channels on it.

i have the eyeTV hybrid.  pete bought the 250.
only buy the 250 if your cpu is not able to handle the encoding itself, otherwise you're really slowing down the process.  in other words, I was told the 250 was  meant for mac mini's and mac books.  i don't know for sure but it makes sense to me.

i love it.  the software is elite.  it basically just uses your HDD as a DVR.   i can watch my live tv or recorded programs on my ipod touch/iphone from anywhere in the world which is also elite.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »

you basically plug it into an open USB port and can either plug an antennae in and capture over the air HD (which looks great b/c it's not compressed) or  you can plug your cable to it from a spare cable jack and watch your cable channels on it.

only buy the 250 if your cpu is not able to handle the encoding itself, otherwise you're really slowing down the process.  in other words, I was told the 250 was  meant for mac mini's and mac books.  i don't know for sure but it makes sense to me.

i love it.  the software is elite.  it basically just uses your HDD as a DVR.   i can watch my live tv or recorded programs on my ipod touch/iphone from anywhere in the world which is also elite.

It connects to your ipod/iphone? How? wifi?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »

I have Dish and I basically want to use my new imac upstairs as a second TV.  Everything was set up when I had Dish installed to put another DVR upstairs.  You are saying I can just plug into the Tuner and watch on my computer instead of plugging into a DVR and watching on another TV?

Also, is the recorded video compatible with iMovie or other video editing software?  Or does the EyeTV software itself provide editing tools to get rid of commercials, etc.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:46:57 AM »
Also, how much is it?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »

I have Dish and I basically want to use my new imac upstairs as a second TV.  Everything was set up when I had Dish installed to put another DVR upstairs.  You are saying I can just plug into the Tuner and watch on my computer instead of plugging into a DVR and watching on another TV?

with cable, i can take a coax from the wall and run it directly into my input on the Elgato.  with Dish I think you would need to run from the output of your Dish DVR to the input of the Elgato, via coax cable.  the Dish signal needs to be decoded and that's what their DVR box does.

another option, if you're in a city that has over the air HD signals, is to just plug in a $10 antennae into the Elgato.  it KC i get all networks plus public tv, all in uncompressed HD- it's around 25 channels.

Also, is the recorded video compatible with iMovie or other video editing software?  Or does the EyeTV software itself provide editing tools to get rid of commercials, etc.

ya the recorded video is compatible with imovie.  the eyetv software also is comes with video editing software built in, really easy to use.  either way works.

the DVR software it comes with basically just looks like a DVR.  you click on a show and it asks if you want to record it.  then you can add schedules, etc. for future recording, record the series, etc.

you basically plug it into an open USB port and can either plug an antennae in and capture over the air HD (which looks great b/c it's not compressed) or  you can plug your cable to it from a spare cable jack and watch your cable channels on it.

i have the eyeTV hybrid.  pete bought the 250.
only buy the 250 if your cpu is not able to handle the encoding itself, otherwise you're really slowing down the process.  in other words, I was told the 250 was  meant for mac mini's and mac books.  i don't know for sure but it makes sense to me.

i love it.  the software is elite.  it basically just uses your HDD as a DVR.   i can watch my live tv or recorded programs on my ipod touch/iphone from anywhere in the world which is also elite.

the ipod/iphone can stream from your machine via 3G or wifi.  it is very elite.

Also, how much is it?
google it.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
The trouble with running the signal through a "box" first is that you can only get the channel that the box is set to....thus reducing the flexibility of the DVR function.....put another way, the box will force your Mac to "watch" the same channel as the box.

Clams and I both run the coax to our Mac BEFORE it hits the box, then split the coax and send a signal to the box later.

I have been happy with mine.  I mainly just record sports and rough ridin' thomas the train.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:52:02 AM »

with cable, i can take a coax from the wall and run it directly into my input on the Elgato.  with Dish I think you would need to run from the output of your Dish DVR to the input of the Elgato, via coax cable.  the Dish signal needs to be decoded and that's what their DVR box does.

another option, if you're in a city that has over the air HD signals, is to just plug in a $10 antennae into the Elgato.  it KC i get all networks plus public tv, all in uncompressed HD- it's around 25 channels.

ya the recorded video is compatible with imovie.  the eyetv software also is comes with video editing software built in, really easy to use.  either way works.

the DVR software it comes with basically just looks like a DVR.  you click on a show and it asks if you want to record it.  then you can add schedules, etc. for future recording, record the series, etc.

you basically plug it into an open USB port and can either plug an antennae in and capture over the air HD (which looks great b/c it's not compressed) or  you can plug your cable to it from a spare cable jack and watch your cable channels on it.

i have the eyeTV hybrid.  pete bought the 250.
only buy the 250 if your cpu is not able to handle the encoding itself, otherwise you're really slowing down the process.  in other words, I was told the 250 was  meant for mac mini's and mac books.  i don't know for sure but it makes sense to me.

i love it.  the software is elite.  it basically just uses your HDD as a DVR.   i can watch my live tv or recorded programs on my ipod touch/iphone from anywhere in the world which is also elite.

the ipod/iphone can stream from your machine via 3G or wifi.  it is very elite.

Also, how much is it?
google it.

Or you could just give me a general idea.  :curse: still sounds amazingly elite. I suppose it will only connect to ipod/iphone and not any mobile?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
i think the hybrid i have cost $125, and it's apple only

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
Thanks guyz.  Much apprec.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
I mainly just record sports and fracking thomas the train.

oh dear god pete. t the t is horrible. sorry man.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »
I was looking at getting this.  Good to hear positive things.  I have a couple questions though, on the elgato site i talks about subscribing to their tvguide.  Do you have to pay for this to get the channel listings to DVR or is that already on there?  Also, about how much space would an hour long show take if you recorded in decent quality?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
I was looking at getting this.  Good to hear positive things.  I have a couple questions though, on the elgato site i talks about subscribing to their tvguide.  Do you have to pay for this to get the channel listings to DVR or is that already on there?  Also, about how much space would an hour long show take if you recorded in decent quality?

At high quality, a two hour program was 3.9 gig for me.  However, after you save stuff in the native format, you can offload it in a different format and clear some space.

The TV guides subscription comes with it, and is good for a year, then you have to re-up.  It's pretty cheap though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »
the thing is really cool, you won't be disappointed.  speaking of which, i have to reup my tvguide membership, lame, it's $20 /yr.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
the thing is really cool, you won't be disappointed.  speaking of which, i have to reup my tvguide membership, lame, it's $20 /yr.

I hate having to pay any subscription costs for anything  :curse:.  $20 isnt bad though, especially if I can get this thing to replace one of my DVR boxes, it pays for itself.  Thanks fellas

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »

I hate having to pay any subscription costs for anything  :curse:.  $20 isnt bad though, especially if I can get this thing to replace one of my DVR boxes, it pays for itself.  Thanks fellas
ya the DVR function is simple to use as I've described, what size Mac do you have?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »

ya the DVR function is simple to use as I've described, what size Mac do you have?

Just ordered a 21.5 imac, havent received it yet.  I'm looking forward to ripping my DVDs with RipIt though and getting a media server and just running movies off there to my TV.  Got final cut express on it too, might crank out some EMAW movies at some point.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »

Just ordered a 21.5 imac, havent received it yet.  I'm looking forward to ripping my DVDs with RipIt though and getting a media server and just running movies off there to my TV.  Got final cut express on it too, might crank out some EMAW movies at some point.

I don't have final cut, but I have a brand new 21.5 as well.    :thumbsup:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »

Loving it?  Its my first mac so I'm a little :ohno: but I have so many friends that have had the same mac in the time I've gone through 2+ computers so I figured it would be a good investment.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »

My 21.5 is arriving on Thurs.   :driving:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »
Don't want to get into a PC v. Mac thing but I have an old pc with a TV tuner and windows has free media center software with the tivo stuff and schedules and junk.  You don't have to pay for it.  I bet there is another kind of mac tv tuner card that comes with a free software.  Maybe it wouldn't be as good or something.  Did I mention I suck at computers?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 10:21:13 PM »
Don't want to get into a PC v. Mac thing but I have an old pc with a TV tuner and windows has free media center software with the tivo stuff and schedules and junk.  You don't have to pay for it.  I bet there is another kind of mac tv tuner card that comes with a free software.  Maybe it wouldn't be as good or something.  Did I mention I suck at computers?
I had this and it worked fine, but the server stuff I'm trying to use and the reliability of the mac is really what I'm after.  Also got kinda sick of the Media Center set up that Windows has.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile