Author Topic: Honest question from a casual BB fan  (Read 1995 times)

Offline econocat

• Fan
  • The father of Economics
    • View Profile
Honest question from a casual BB fan
« on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
I know we have good BB team this year, but why isn't there more critisism of Frank like there is for Uncle Bill and a thread on the WRSOAT on this board?  I see nothing but 3* (s)  for 2010 or 2011. 'Te probably makes more money than all the football recruiters combined.    :dunno:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone." — John Maynard Keynes

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Honest question from a casual BB fan
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
I know we have good BB team this year, but why isn't there more critisism of Frank like there is for Uncle Bill and a thread on the WRSOAT on this board?  I see nothing but 3* (s)  for 2010 or 2011. 'Te probably makes more money than all the football recruiters combined.    :dunno:

There has been A LOT of criticism.  Like, a whole lot.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
There has been a lot of criticism from the people that are paying attention.  Everyone else is just happy to be where we are.  I'm somewhere in between.  If Snyds had a top 5 football team, people would bitch about his recruiting less

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »

check the 'cruiting threads, bro.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
a)  there's been plenty of criticism.
b)  taking the team as far as it's been in 20 years, with a roster of some elites, but mostly 3 stars takes the edge off.  the criticism is still valid, but it's harder.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GetVocalwithCurt

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
Fit is extremely important.

I know that seems stupid to people, but this is why butler is consistently a top-tier team. They look for fit instead of looking at stars.
"I'll be back"
-Curtis Kelly

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »
Fit is extremely important.

I know that seems stupid to people, but this is why butler is consistently a top-tier team. They look for fit instead of looking at stars.

If the player is outside of the top 50 or so, you go with fit.  There isn't a single player inside the top 50 you should refuse on the grounds of "fit," IMO....and I'd suspect that most coaches in the country would agree.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:36 PM »
There has been plenty of criticism. He's picked up enough fringe 150/4 star players to keep me happy at the moment. We'll see how this year goes.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline econocat

• Fan
  • The father of Economics
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
OK thanks for the input.  Now a second question. WTF is up with playing 4 or 5 top-25 teams for our non-conference schedule?  I know SOS is important for seeding in 'the dance' but JFC so are W-L.  Apologies if this was hashed out ad naseum when the schedule came out.
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone." — John Maynard Keynes

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 05:23:45 PM »
WTF is up with playing 4 or 5 top-25 teams for our non-conference schedule?  I know SOS is important for seeding in 'the dance' but JFC so are W-L.

martin's not a complete rough ridin' pussy.  foreign concept for most kstaters, i know.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
WTF is up with playing 4 or 5 top-25 teams for our non-conference schedule?  I know SOS is important for seeding in 'the dance' but JFC so are W-L.

martin's not a complete foooocking pussy.  foreign concept for most kstaters, i know.

RPI is THE most important factor for the Non-con.  Let your conference schedule be your time to worry about wins and losses.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
It's important because we're playing for a 1 seed (jfc). WGAF if we lose a couple, we'll be playing in the tourney win or lose.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »

martin's not a complete foooocking pussy.  foreign concept for most kstaters, i know.

RPI is THE most important factor for the Non-con.  Let your conference schedule be your time to worry about wins and losses.

This^  In the two years we've been left out since Huggs/Martin have been here, its been due to a shitty non-con.  Martin is aware of this and doesnt want it to be an issue anymore.  Also, it'll get you good TV exposure.

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
OK thanks for the input.  Now a second question. WTF is up with playing 4 or 5 top-25 teams for our non-conference schedule?  I know SOS is important for seeding in 'the dance' but JFC so are W-L.  Apologies if this was hashed out ad naseum when the schedule came out.

It isn't like football where if you lose a game or two you're out of the contention picture. Play good teams and get good exposure and experience. You might lose a couple, but in the long run the team will be much more prepared for conference play and the tournament.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »

We still have to worry about our non-con wins and losses, since they're a quarter of our RPI. Lose to a bunch of those ranked teams, and forget a #1 seed. But we're confident we can beat any team in the country.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »
I understand recruiting "fit players" that work great in your system....But if you have a chance at a MAJOR in state recruit u have to go after him...PErry Ellis :)
EMAW

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
ellis would be a perfect fit.  cauley is the local recruit that doesn't fit, but you should probably take anyways since he's purportedly talented and plays for mokan.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 01:48:29 AM »
ellis would be a perfect fit.  cauley is the local recruit that doesn't fit, but you should probably take anyways since he's purportedly talented and plays for mokan.
Ellis would basically be Jamars replacement in "that role" they are big men who r skilled enough to play the 3...SYS your elite knowledge, whats going on with Perry?
EMAW

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 03:21:54 AM »

What changed your mind with Ellis?? I thought we didn't want him about a year ago. Could be wrong, Apologies if so.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 03:29:04 AM »

What changed your mind with Ellis?? I thought we didn't want him about a year ago. Could be wrong, Apologies if so.
His five stars.
EMAW

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 03:39:43 AM »

His five stars.

hes had five stars.  if anything his rating has gone down recently...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »

we've always wanted him.  people just attacked him to annoy bbhoops, but he's not around any more.

he also had a good summer.  shut a few critics up.  and like jt said, he's a type of big that won't be on the roster once samuels leaves.