Author Topic: People struggle to conceptualize poverty  (Read 4531 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: People struggle to conceptualize poverty
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
I wish farmers would stop hating america and start hiring americans to do their work.

Me too. We should just seize all assets and imprison business owners who hire illegal immigrants.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 02:02:26 PM »
Since the top 20% make, give or take a couple, roughly $84,000 per year. I wouldn't bitch too much. I would imagine that a fair number of people here will get to that point.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »
That $84,000 is a household income total. Guess what, folks. Most of us are in that top 20%.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
Since the top 20% make, give or take a couple, roughly $84,000 per year. I wouldn't bitch too much. I would imagine that a fair number of people here will get to that point.

This is not a chart on income inequality.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
I wish farmers would stop hating america and start hiring americans to do their work.

Me too. We should just seize all assets and imprison business owners who hire illegal immigrants.

You are right. The only way to truly solve the problem.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »
The world needs ditch diggers, too, Danny. :users:

It's really find it ridiculous that you can't find anybody in that bottom 40% to fill the need for farm labor, we have to import illegals to do that kind of work, and that's OK with the Dems.

isn't the free market great?  or not.

This isn't free market. It's turning a blind eye to illegal activity. IF the rule of law was followed, citizen farm labor would be making  a living wage and we would be either be paying more for farmed goods or the producers would be making a smaller profit. The free market would decide.

I equate cheap illegal labor in this country as 21st century slave labor, and making them legal will just dilute the labor pool, keep wages low, and add 30 million people to the entitlement gravy train. The third world cesspools need to be forced to clean up their corrupt governments and allow their citizens the same freedoms we have here in order to curb the desire to emigrate illegally.

That's the thing, though.  Countries like China and India have no incentive to even the playing field.  US laborers, specifically farmers, are working so that they can provide for their families and live a moderately comfortable lifestyle.  Foreign laborers, specifically in countries like China, are working so that they can avoid starvation. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »

It makes more sense than building a 1000 mile long wall, that's for sure.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

But it doesn't solve the drug and human trafficking, nor does it stop the illegals crossing over with less moral reasons from coming over.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »

But it doesn't solve the drug and human trafficking, nor does it stop the illegals crossing over with less moral reasons from coming over.

We aren't responsible for the human trafficking of Mexican citizens. Let the Mexican government worry about that. Legalizing drugs would stop the drug trafficking.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »

Bush was a moron for not securing the southern border in 2001 when the political will was there. If we are hit with a nuclear device, it will have come through Mexico

Sugar Dick

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »

Bush was a moron for not securing the southern border in 2001 when the political will was there. If we are hit with a nuclear device, it will have come through Mexico

John Doug, don't you know that only hard working Mexican's come through the border?  Every single one of those people wants to live the American dream, they want to pay taxes, and they want nothing more than to be citizens of the U.S.  It's highly unlikely that there are even a handful of criminals crossing illegally, let alone the overwhelming majority.  The mass graves and murdering along the border have no correlation to the character of those crossing the border, nor does the drug trafficking and drug related crimes in the cities on the US-Mex border.   :nono: