Author Topic: Destination: SALINA!  (Read 28912 times)

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Destination: SALINA!
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »
Fun fact, in the early 2000s when they were planning on building a soccer complex on the north side of town, I was the one that delivered the letter to the city manager that officially killed it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:23:19 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »
My mom spotted this on I-135 by Lindsborg. Looks like it’s going in the LJS building. She also thinks Taco Grande got bought & they might be rebranding them all to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2021, 05:51:16 PM »
My mom spotted this on I-135 by Lindsborg. Looks like it’s going in the LJS building. She also thinks Taco Grande got bought & they might be rebranding them all to this.

That looks good.

My grandma (rest her soul) loved LJS. We would pick her up from Kenwood View Nursing Home and take her to LJS. One  of her few joys in life.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »

they got two of those west of salina and one east. Putting the word out pretty heavy.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2021, 09:10:13 PM »
Growing up as a kid from KC I always thought of Salina as just another truck stop town on I-70 halfway between the cat ranch/home....we always stopped at the Petro 2 on the way there and back.

Wasn't until I went to a wedding there right after college that I realized there is a whole 50k town that you don't see right off the interstate.

Also Salina is firmly central KS. Western KS starts around Hays where the smoky hills end. If you have to worry about cedars taking over your pasture you are not in western KS.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2021, 07:25:32 AM »
Growing up as a kid from KC I always thought of Salina as just another truck stop town on I-70 halfway between the cat ranch/home....we always stopped at the Petro 2 on the way there and back.

Wasn't until I went to a wedding there right after college that I realized there is a whole 50k town that you don't see right off the interstate.

Also Salina is firmly central KS. Western KS starts around Hays where the smoky hills end. If you have to worry about cedars taking over your pasture you are not in western KS.
No question, Salina is central KS.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 15, 2021, 09:39:49 PM »
This showed up on pedestrian twitter

https://twitter.com/KostelecPlan/status/1404906533373239300?s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2021, 09:30:11 AM »
lotta locals are not a fan of that downtown stretch. "so much wasted money" etc.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 16, 2021, 09:56:54 AM »
lotta locals are not a fan of that downtown stretch. "so much wasted money" etc.
Artsy-fartsy features around the Ohio St viaduct over the railroad tracks really gets people stirred up, as well.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 16, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Sounds like Salina has some family offshoots from the Manhattan "what do we need that for" townies

I can't imagine the Townie takes on Kimball Ave.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 16, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
the old LJS building has some activity lately. Hopefully it will be coming down!
- chunkles

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2022, 07:56:29 PM »
the old LJS building has some activity lately. Hopefully it will be coming down!

Just got a text from my mom that Taco Grande is now open in this building.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2022, 08:19:09 PM »
I think they had to call it the Original Grande for some legal reasons I’m not real clear on
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2022, 08:24:38 PM »
the traffic around it has been lol absurd the last couple of days.  people struggling to not park on crawford, it’s amaze

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2022, 07:19:29 PM »
Drove over to Abilene this afternoon & took the kids on the train to Enterprise. Rode on one of the outdoor cars at a picnic table. It was a nice afternoon. The 5 year old had a good time & the 8 year old loved it.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2022, 02:15:46 PM »
Drove over to Abilene this afternoon & took the kids on the train to Enterprise. Rode on one of the outdoor cars at a picnic table. It was a nice afternoon. The 5 year old had a good time & the 8 year old loved it.

yes, kids love the crap outta that thing.

Also i heard that the Popeyes on Ohio shut down? What a shame
- chunkles

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »
It’s great. Nice day for it.

Did you see any signs of that pedestrian trail they are building adjacent to it?

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2022, 05:48:35 PM »

Did you see any signs of that pedestrian trail they are building adjacent to it?

I didn’t know to look for it.

I went on the train on a field trip in elementary school. We try to do something like that every visit now that my girls are older. Last time we went out to Coronado Heights. We’d talked about the train before, but we usually just end up walking on the Land Institute trails behind my parents house. I’d completely forgot about the train for this trip, but a KSU professor that I see at tailgates just retired & is now volunteering there & he reminded me on Saturday. I’ll ask him how the pedestrian trails are coming.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2022, 07:27:23 PM »

I went on the train on a field trip in elementary school. We try to do something like that every visit now that my girls are older. Last time we went out to Coronado Heights. We’d talked about the train before, but we usually just end up walking on the Land Institute trails behind my parents house. I’d completely forgot about the train for this trip, but a KSU professor that I see at tailgates just retired & is now volunteering there & he reminded me on Saturday. I’ll ask him how the pedestrian trails are coming.
Are you talking about Steve Smethers? He was a great host when we did the train for mom's birthday a few years ago.

I want to go visit the Eisenhower Museum again. Haven't been there since they redid the exhibits.

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2022, 09:22:14 PM »

Are you talking about Steve Smethers? He was a great host when we did the train for mom's birthday a few years ago.

I want to go visit the Eisenhower Museum again. Haven't been there since they redid the exhibits.

Yup, Steve. I didn’t realize he was doing it before. I asked him how he was keeping busy & he mentioned the train.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2022, 09:43:48 PM »
Is this thing tobias’ commuter rail?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »
Erin Wiersma (art prof at KSU) is going to be presenting at the Land Institute's Prairie Festival. She makes these pictures by applying paper to the freshly burned surface of the Konza Prairie. Pretty interesting stuff. I first saw it featured in the Symphony in the Flint Hills 2022 Field Guide.

https://erinwiersma.com/transect--wind

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2022, 11:51:53 PM »

Yup, Steve. I didn’t realize he was doing it before. I asked him how he was keeping busy & he mentioned the train.
Love Dr. Smethers. He was one of my regulars at Auntie Mae's back in the day.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2022, 10:27:46 PM »
Salina adjacent: Would recommend driving between Ellsworth and Brookville on K-140 around sunset sometime. I'd forgotten how nice the vistas of the Smoky Hills are in that region.

Online TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2022, 10:37:07 PM »
Salina adjacent: Would recommend driving between Ellsworth and Brookville on K-140 around sunset sometime. I'd forgotten how nice the vistas of the Smoky Hills are in that region.

Speaking of K-140, I grew up in south Salina. I’ve been on old 40 ~500 times in my life.  I always thought it went straight west out of Salina. I just recently learned by looking at a map that Brookville was further south than me the whole time. I had a visual what the county looked like & when I noticed it, it blew my mind.