Author Topic: Wildcat formation breakdown vs Iowa State  (Read 5100 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: Wildcat formation breakdown vs Iowa State
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:18 PM »
Are you talking about the play where DT fell down? Because that's a dumb example for why the formation doesn't work.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline DoDRepeat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »
Are you talking about the play where DT fell down? Because that's a dumb example for why the formation doesn't work.

I'm not saying the formation doesn't work. But I am saying it stalled our offense on saturday more often than it helped it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
You obviously didn't "chart" the game good enough. Right before the 3rd and 15 big reverse by quarles, DT lost 7 or 8 yards out of wildcat. Not to mention after the first down (with momentum), we went wildcat two plays and gained 3 yards. Its a drive killer.

My mistake, we still averaged over 4 YPP out of the Wildcat.  The 7 yard loss you used though is a poor example of the Wildcat being ineffective b/c it was a poor snap as much as anything that caused the problem on that play.  And you are correct, we did run 2 more plays out of it for a 2 yard gain (lead) and then a 1 yard gain (option), but had Thomas pitched the ball we gain minimum 5 yards on that one.  So perhaps you could argue that we used it too much on the first drive.

But again, it does not make it a negative offense, especially when we mixed it in on the 2 TD drives and gained 9 and then 13 yards respectively out of it.  

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »

I'm not saying the formation doesn't work. But I am saying it stalled our offense on saturday more often than it helped it.

It stalled the offense on the first drive, but more so from poor execution than a poor play call.  You can't choose to ignore that we ran it effectively on all 3 TD drives after that.  Perhaps you could say it didn't work effectively on the final drive, but Snyder went conservative overall on that one in his other 2 play calls as well.

Offline DoDRepeat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »
You obviously didn't "chart" the game good enough. Right before the 3rd and 15 big reverse by quarles, DT lost 7 or 8 yards out of wildcat. Not to mention after the first down (with momentum), we went wildcat two plays and gained 3 yards. Its a drive killer.

My mistake, we still averaged over 4 YPP out of the Wildcat.  The 7 yard loss you used though is a poor example of the Wildcat being ineffective b/c it was a poor snap as much as anything that caused the problem on that play.  And you are correct, we did run 2 more plays out of it for a 2 yard gain (lead) and then a 1 yard gain (option), but had Thomas pitched the ball we gain minimum 5 yards on that one.  So perhaps you could argue that we used it too much on the first drive.

But again, it does not make it a negative offense, especially when we mixed it in on the 2 TD drives and gained 9 and then 13 yards respectively out of it.  

I can agree with that. I just don't like stalled drives from going wildcat when our regular offense is driving through a pretty weak defense. Running it here and there I have no problem with.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
I can agree with that. I just don't like stalled drives from going wildcat when our regular offense is driving through a pretty weak defense. Running it here and there I have no problem with.

That's fair.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
If you enjoyed this brief, yet enlightening analysis, I would suggest checking out the newest article published in the goEMAWgazine, your exclusive home for the best in KSU sports news/analysis related items.

http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=284

fyi, comment section is broke

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »
If you enjoyed this brief, yet enlightening analysis, I would suggest checking out the newest article published in the goEMAWgazine, your exclusive home for the best in KSU sports news/analysis related items.

_FANalysis :love:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

:pbj: :ksu: :popcorn: :bwpopcorn: :ksu: :eek: :woot: :party:    bill s =  :gocho:

would obviously have to set this gem up with a few speed options with DT and whoever was in the backfield with him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:08:38 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

catzacker

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »

That's fair.

Actually, it's not.  Like Carson throwing a fracking pick 6 isn't a drive killer?  The regular offense is basically finding different ways to get Daniel Thomas the ball, mixed in with a few (misdirection, gadgety) plays to keep defenses honest, and get it out of that fracking Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) qb's hands.  Stalled drives have nothing to do with the Wildcat.  If anything, the problem with the Wildcat is that we haven't done much/enough out of it.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »

That's fair.

Actually, it's not.  Like Carson throwing a fracking pick 6 isn't a drive killer?  The regular offense is basically finding different ways to get Daniel Thomas the ball, mixed in with a few (misdirection, gadgety) plays to keep defenses honest, and get it out of that fracking Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) qb's hands.  Stalled drives have nothing to do with the Wildcat.  If anything, the problem with the Wildcat is that we haven't done much/enough out of it.

Carson manages games! The only reason we haven't passed is because we haven't "needed" to! Every QB misses on long balls and throws INTs! Carson is constantly audibling us into the right play at the LOS! He runs the option super managey!  :chainsaw:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »

fyi, comment section is broke
How so?  Did you answer the quick math question at the end?

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »
In my own little fantasy world...   :party:

We'll be rolling out the wishbone for the Nebraska game with either Harper or Lamur at QB and Wilson, Powell, and Thomas in the backfield.   :excited: